HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 1:12 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The Little O's at 7th Ave and McDowell has a problem with inadequate parking. It will only get worse when Roses By The Stairs opens in the Burt Easley's building.
The entire cluster of restaurants near 7th Ave & McDowell is perceived as having inadequate parking. I have little sympathy for customers who complain about that because light rail is less than half a mile away, and the upgraded bike lanes on 3rd and 5th avenues are even closer. There are alternatives to driving there, and to expect each restaurant to have its own dedicated and capacious parking lot is unrealistic in an urban location.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 1:15 PM

He's not wrong, there isn't enough parking. You only sound pompous by ranting about riding the light rail or riding a bike. Not everyone wants to do that, friend.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 1:16 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The Little O's at 7th Ave and McDowell has a problem with inadequate parking. It will only get worse when Roses By The Stairs opens in the Burt Easley's building.
The entire cluster of restaurants near 7th Ave & McDowell is perceived as having inadequate parking. I have little sympathy for customers who complain about that because light rail is less than half a mile away, and the upgraded bike lanes on 3rd and 5th avenues are even closer. There are alternatives to driving there, and to expect each restaurant to have its own capacious parking lot is unrealistic in an urban location.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 8:26 PM
Skyriser

Are people that incapable of parking in the adjoining neighborhoods? Parking for restaurants is mostly a solved problem even in cities that have far fewer off-street stalls than Phoenix.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 9:29 PM

The neighborhood you'd like people to park in has no parking signs during the week. It's not as simple as "ride a bike or use public transportation" is the point. There are many people who won't go if it's difficult to park.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Are people that incapable of parking in the adjoining neighborhoods? Parking for restaurants is mostly a solved problem even in cities that have far fewer off-street stalls than Phoenix.
Parking is fine. I go there a lot (and either walk or bike), but the tables are full, and there are always folks pulling out when you get there. Maybe this will be an issue in the future for some people, but I doubt it will sink either of the brewpubs.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 10:15 PM

As someone who has flown up to Chicago just to drive my grandmother back down to TX so she can see her great-grandson graduate from high school, I can attest that not everyone can walk a half-mile from light-rail, take public transportation, ride a bike, or even walk from an adjoining neighborhood in order to get to a particular destination. There are still benefits to automobiles and adequate parking, especially for those who get up there in age or have special needs even in the cities.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 10:40 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Lynwood, the street one block to the south, allows no parking during peak lunch hours of 10 AM - 2 PM. Almeria, the street one block to the north, has a resident-only permit system. I think it's silly how often residents think they own the curb in front of their homes, but sometimes accommodating that perception is what keeps the peace with the neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
The neighborhood you'd like people to park in has no parking signs during the week. It's not as simple as "ride a bike or use public transportation" is the point. There are many people who won't go if it's difficult to park.
And that's a factor that restaurant owners can take into account if necessary for the vitality of their businesses. They can find ways to obtain more parking via agreements with nearby businesses, charge for parking in order to ration a limited commodity, use valet attendants to double park cars, or simply relocate to places with more parking. All are valid adaptations based on market forces, not government dictates of parking minimums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
As someone who has flown up to Chicago just to drive my grandmother back down to TX so she can see her great-grandson graduate from high school, I can attest that not everyone can walk a half-mile from light-rail, take public transportation, ride a bike, or even walk from an adjoining neighborhood in order to get to a particular destination. There are still benefits to automobiles and adequate parking, especially for those who get up there in age or have special needs even in the cities.
Not everyone, including many seniors, can drive either. The true measure of urban quality of life lies not in banning cars, but in not allowing them to dominate the landscape either. Understanding that vehicle storage is finite and not infinitely expandable is a measure of city's civic maturity.

Last edited by exit2lef; Jan 15, 2022 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
And that's a factor that restaurant owners can take into account if necessary for the vitality of their businesses. They can find ways to obtain more parking via agreements with nearby businesses, charge for parking in order to ration a limited commodity, or simply relocate. All are valid adaptations based on market forces, not government dictates of parking minimums.

Not everyone can drive either. The true measure of urban quality of life lies not in banning cars, but in not allowing them to dominate the landscape either. Understanding that vehicle storage is finite and not infinitely expandable is a measure of city's civic maturity.
Exactly, which is why I drove my grandmother to Texas since she cannot fly nor drive. My comment wasn't an outcry for an infinite amount of parking spaces, but to convey that older people or people with special needs still live in the cities and many still prefer driving or being drive to their destinations and deserve a little compassion. It's not only about the 20, 30, or 40 somethings and their true measure of anything. Other than that, I agree with you.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 10:54 PM

Some people drive. Some people walk. Some people ride a bike. Some may even ride a skateboard.

How someone chooses to get somewhere is no one's business but their own, exit left. The attitude you seem to have towards people who use a car is an ugly look.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 10:58 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Exactly, which is why I drove my grandmother to Texas since she cannot fly nor drive. My comment wasn't an outcry for an infinite amount of parking spaces, but to convey that older people or people with special needs still live in the cities and many still prefer driving or being drive to their destinations and deserve a little compassion. It's not only about the 20, 30, or 40 somethings and their true measure of anything. Other than that, I agree with you.
Right, and to be clear, I have never, ever even come close to saying that no one should drive anywhere. Too often, this forum degenerates into misperceptions that not accommodating an anti-urban desire for unlimited free parking means no parking at all. There's a middle ground, and it's best determined by market forces rather than the 20th Century mistake of mandatory parking minimums set by local governments.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 11:03 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Some people drive. Some people walk. Some people ride a bike. Some may even ride a skateboard.

How someone chooses to get somewhere is no one's business but their own, exit left. The attitude you seem to have towards people who use a car is an ugly look.
Read more carefully and the "ugly look" is nowhere to be found. I agree that one's mode of transport should be a matter of individual choice, as is the decision of each business as to how it should accommodate parking needs.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Read more carefully and the "ugly look" is nowhere to be found. I agree that one's mode of transport should be a matter of individual choice, as is the decision of each business as to how it should accommodate parking needs.
I grew up here when Phoenix looked like the undifferentiated suburban hellscape of Bill and Ted's "San Dimas," and seeing the challenge to the car dealer/Circle K/mall parking assumptions of unlimited parking is beautiful. The downtown neighborhoods are now seeing some of the highest prices because locals actually want to walk to places like Little Os (and I'm starting to recognize some of the local regulars). Tempe has had this for a while, as does parts of Arcadia and Scottsdale. There are an overwhelming number of places to just drive up and plop a car (which I do most of the time), but I LOVE the way that particular assumption as the only way to do business is finding challengers. It feels like a threat to some folks (I'm not pointing ANY fingers at anyone on this board), but it's really not. The car is going nowhere, and the variety in the market of ideas is only a good thing.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 8:42 PM

It’s an “ugly look” to think we should accommodate less to the car?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 10:48 AM
Skyriser

Film Bar is closing permanently.

https://www.thefilmbarphx.com/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 11:09 PM

Little Miss BBQ to open third restaurant in former Honey Bear's location

For my BBQ enthusiasts, Little Miss BBQ taking over the old Honey Bear's on Central/Thomas.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-location.html

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 4:05 PM

Pitcher this: New brewery is raising the bar in downtown Phoenix

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 4:46 PM

Former Phoenix restaurant and brewery owners caught not paying taxes

Well I guess now we know why Mother Bunch Brewing closed...

https://kjzz.org/content/1755999/for...t-paying-taxes

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 5:17 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I've been watching the progress on this. It's amazing how much frontage it's taken up and it's integration into the convention center was really well done. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 5:49 PM
Modulator

Golden Margarita on Roosevelt Row has lost it's liqour license:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...or-license.amp

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest