HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 8:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
While I agree the Brits are the "winners" in this idiocy, you go to a nightlife district in Hamburg, Cologne or Amsterdam, at least pre-Covid, you'll see fights. Definitely an alcohol-fueled weekend fight culture, at least outside of Med Europe. I haven't seen this in the Club Med nations, excepting France, but Northern France is culturally Northern Europe.
There also seems to be a Protestant-Catholic divide when it comes to this.

(Though the Irish would be an exception to this rule. They are however in a Protestant-normative part of the world, and were under that type of "yoke" for a fairly long period of time.)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 9:23 PM

Even with a very cold weather pattern (we’re talking temps in the teens), Philadelphia has still managed to clock in 17 murders in January so far as of yesterday.

That’s a 31% increase from this point last year.

Off to the races we go!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There also seems to be a Protestant-Catholic divide when it comes to this.

(Though the Irish would be an exception to this rule. They are however in a Protestant-normative part of the world, and were under that type of "yoke" for a fairly long period of time.)
I'm guessing this goes back to north/south differences prior to the reformation?

I mean, I would expect there are a fair number of bar fights in Poland.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 9:46 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Even with a very cold weather pattern (we’re talking temps in the teens), Philadelphia has still managed to clock in 17 murders in January so far as of yesterday.

That’s a 31% increase from this point last year.

Off to the races we go!
Question.

Why do you sound... excited?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 9:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm guessing this goes back to north/south differences prior to the reformation?

I mean, I would expect there are a fair number of bar fights in Poland.
Perhaps the cultural angle is a better one?

Celtic and Germanic people (including the English in that as "Anglo-Saxons") has a reputation for being more "fighty". Pretty sure Slavs do as well.

More Latin people (French, Spanish, Portuguese) have less of a fighty reputation.

In France, the Bretons have a national reputation for being fighters. And their origins are Celtic.

Here in Quebec where I live, Anglo-Canadians and Americans (generally lumped in together as "anglos") have a bad reputation for causing trouble in bars and nightclubs.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 1:08 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Chicago has its first weekend with no homicides in who knows how long, according to the sun times.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 1:20 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Chicago has its first weekend with no homicides in who knows how long, according to the sun times.
Probably since the Eisenhower administration.

At least.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
While I agree the Brits are the "winners" in this idiocy, you go to a nightlife district in Hamburg, Cologne or Amsterdam, at least pre-Covid, you'll see fights. Definitely an alcohol-fueled weekend fight culture, at least outside of Med Europe. I haven't seen this in the Club Med nations, excepting France, but Northern France is culturally Northern Europe.
Funnily enough, I was in both Amsterdam and Hamburg about nine months before Covid. Walking from the ferry into the central Amsterdam, looking for a bar, following a stream of tourists walking from Amsterdam Centraal to their hostels, I came abreast of an English guy rolling his giant suitcase down a bike lane, nose stuck in his phone.

Central Amsterdam is an exercise in getting in cyclists' way at the best of times. This guy had the whole lane blocked, sending oncoming cyclists scattering. One finally stopped.

Dutch cylist: um excuse me but just so you know this is a cycling lane.
English guy: OUTTA MY WAY YOU DUMB DUTCH CUNT.

Point is, Amsterdam attracts the worst of the English, who are already the worst. If people are fighting in Amsterdam, they're English. I can't imagine a Dutch boy getting worked up enough about anything to mess up his hair.

Hamburg I could maybe imagine fighting being likely, but I've boozed it up there plenty. The streets around St. Pauli get packed with drinkers on weekends, and they're allowed to wander around with drinks. Never did see a fight. Plenty of whores though. Maybe around the Reeperbahn people get scrappier, but they also get less local.

My years in Berlin I've only seen two bar fights. And one way-out-of-line person was involved in both of them. And one of them involved a really pissed off Canadian.

eschaton, you asked about Poland. It does seem like a place where people would fight. Their soccer fans are definitely hardcore and do fight. Lodz and Krakow look like dangerous cities--especially Lodz. But I've boozed it a bunch in Poland too and besides seeing drunk dads at the beach--of all places--puff their chests up at each other, I've never actually seen a fight. The hip nouveau riche of Warsaw absolutely have better things to do.

You and Acajack are onto something with the Catholic/Protestant thing. Basically, Protestants are more given to teetotaling. Ban anything and just watch people get perverse with it. Give them a couple hundred years to forget how to hold their alcohol and watch them melt down every time they get a drink in them.

For what it's worth, Germany is more Catholic than people realize. They're proud enough of Martin Luther but this was ground zero for the 30 years war. Catholicism maintains. The drinking culture reflects that.

The Dutch let all their teetotal cranks go to America hundreds of years ago.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 3:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ what about the overly protestant Scandinavians?

Are they drunken pub brawlers like the Brits?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ what about the overly protestant Scandinavians?

Are they drunken pub brawlers like the Brits?
I've never been north of Copenhagen. From what I've seen the Danes aren't. They drink in the streets like Germans and are way chill.

I wish Kool Maudit was around to tell us more.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:38 PM

My perception in Scandinavia (Norway and Sweden) was that they are so socially adverse that a fight would never break out because it would involve actually talking to a stranger.

The Scandinavians were doing social distancing before it was cool

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 6:48 PM

Germany is actually much more Catholic than Protestant these days. But that speaks more to the more rapid disintegration of Lutheranism than anything else. Lutheranism is almost dead in the land of Martin Luther. Former East Germany is one of the most irreligious places on earth. Northern Germany is almost entirely irreligious.

And Germany, culturally, is Protestant. Yeah, parts of Bavaria are exceptions. But even the Catholic Rhineland is culturally Protestant. Feels more Netherlands/Scandinavia/UK than anywhere south of the Alps.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 7:39 AM
Meh

2022 Austin Metro Murders

| Austin 11 | Travis Co. 15 | Bastrop Co. 0 | Caldwell Co. 0 | Hays Co. 0 | Williamson Co. 1 | Metro 16 |

Metro Cities

Causes metrowide
Shooting - 11
Stabbing - 2
Strangled - 0
Suffocation - 0
Throwing (of child) - 0
Beating - 0
Vehicular homicide - 0
Blunt force trauma - 1
Sharp force trauma - 0
Unlisted cause - 2
Domestic terrorism - 0

Austin totals
Downtown - 1
Central Austin - 2
East Austin - 0
North Austin - 2
Northeast Austin - 2
Northwest Austin - 1
South Austin - 0
Southeast Austin - 3
Southwest Austin - 0
West Austin - 0

Victims
Male - 10
Female - 2
Unlisted - 4

| Jan 13 | Feb 3 | Mar 0 | Apr 0 | May 0 | Jun 0 | Jul 0 | Aug 0 | Sep 0 | Oct 0 | Nov 0 | Dec 0 |

-

| Mon 0 | Tue 3 | Wed 1 | Thur 3 | Fri 1 | Sat 5 | Sun 3 |

-

Murder cases
Code:
1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/27-year-old-man-killed-in-northwest-austin-during-robbery-citys-1st-homicide-of-2022/ - Austin shooting - 1/3

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/man-dies-after-stabbing-in-cedar-park/ - Cedar Park stabbing - 1/4

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-dies-after-being-found-shot-inside-central-austin-business/ - Austin shooting - 1/8

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/travis-county/travis-county-deputies-investigating-after-man-found-dead-in-car-sunday/ - Del Valle shooting - 1/9

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/apd-investigating-homicide-in-southeast-austin/ - Austin shooting - 1/18

2 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-investigate-suspicious-death-in-north-austin/ - Austin shooting - 1/22

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/apd-identifies-man-killed-in-downtown-stabbing-saturday/ - Austin stabbing - 1/22

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/no-suspect-in-custody-after-overnight-deadly-shooting-in-austin/ - Austin shooting - 1/23

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/apd-son-killed-father-via-blunt-force-trauma-while-both-living-out-of-pickup/ - Austin blunt force trauma - 1/23

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/tcso-subject-of-texas-clear-alert-likely-murdered-by-boyfriend/ - Pflugerville unlisted cause - 1/25

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/apd-investigating-homicide-on-pleasant-valley-road-in-southeast-austin/ - Austin shooting - 1/27

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-working-homicide-after-woman-shot-dead-near-northeast-austin-motel/ - Austin shooting - 1/29

1 dead - https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/austin-homicide-willow-creek-drive/269-74941f74-ab9a-47b6-810a-8c4a965c7973 - Austin shooting - 2/3

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/tcso-working-homicide-in-del-valle/ - Del Valle body found - 2/4

1 dead - https://www.fox7austin.com/news/manor-domestic-violence-homicide-under-investigation-tcso-says - Manor shooting - 2/10

-

Pending cases

Code:
1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/police-investigating-suspicious-death-in-east-austin-3/ - Austin suscipious death - 1/28

1 dead - https://www.fox7austin.com/news/police-investigating-suspicious-death-in-east-austin - 2/14
-

Previous years

-

Previous years per month

-

Austin area population

City: 961,855 2020 Census - source: US Census Bureau
Travis County: 1,290,188 2020 Census - source: US Census Bureau
Metro: 2,283,371 2020 Census - source: US Census Bureau

Area - City: 297 square miles (2010) - US Census Bureau
Area - Metro: 4,285 square miles - Wikipedia
Area - Travis County: 1,023 square miles - Wikipedia

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Feb 15, 2022 at 4:41 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
It's a bias due to the visibility of the information.
It's not that getting stabbed is more common in London or Paris than New York City, it's just that those crimes are more likely to make headlines in London or Paris.
A valid point, whilst murders by knives and sharp implements accounts for 20% of all murders in New York City, in London they account for 60%. That could give the false impression that you’re more likely to be stabbed in London (and I assume Paris as well) than you would in New York even though the evidence is the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I don't think it's a great proxy:
• San Francisco's murder rate is about 1/8 Detroit's, but the two cities have similar rates of reported robbery.
• San Francisco's robbery rate is also much more similar to Chicago's robbery rate than SF's murder rate is to Chicago's murder rate.
• Houston's robbery rate is higher than Detroit's robbery rate, and despite Detroit regularly having one of the top 3 murder rates in the country.

You can pick through a lot of inconsistencies with the metrics. We focus on murder rate because it's a media talking point.
The counter argument would be the geography of San Francisco, with Oakland across the bay (with its 134 murders) forms part of the same criminal eco-system. Detroit has high deprivation, been hollowed out through de-urbanisation and relocation, funding issues and corrupt elements within local government and the police (lack of trust, resources, etc…).

There will be variations due to local socio-economic circumstances, but as raised across several points in my previous post, the US simply has a more conducive environment for criminal elements to prosper. The high murder count is a reflection of the cost of doing business in a thriving sector.

With the conversation around fist-fights, I haven’t seen a scuffle since my uni days long ago! Rates of alcohol-fuelled violence have nose-dived in the last two decades (lower numbers of people drinking, fewer pubs and clubs, increased venue security, etc…). Football hooliganism which Britain once had a horrific reputation for has been mostly purged due to concentrated police action over the years.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 3:51 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
My perception in Scandinavia (Norway and Sweden) was that they are so socially adverse that a fight would never break out because it would involve actually talking to a stranger.

The Scandinavians were doing social distancing before it was cool

i find this immensely amusing after finding out that i’m 1/4 scandi and that’s a direct import from attacking and pwning the british isles like maniacs for 300 years.

midwesterners are like this, to be sure. don’t fucking touch me or come close to touching me is a very pre-pandemic vibe.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 7:27 AM

Portland has 10 homicides so far in January, which is an all-time record for the month by far (Portland often went all of January with zero homicides in previous years). This includes three unsolved fatal shootings in the past four days, including one tonight:

Man Shot and Killed in North Tabor Neighborhood

For whatever reasons, the city seems completely paralyzed and incapable of dealing with its violent crime problems, which is - in turn - attracting more violent criminals to the city.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 9:54 AM

31/1

Sweden (pop 10.2 mil)
Estimated total: 12 (7 deadly shootings)
- No change since Jan 2021. Perhaps 1 up.

Stockholm Metro (pop 2.3 mil)
Estimated total: 4 (3 deadly shootings)
- No change since Jan 2021

Within City limits/Municipality (Pop 960.000)
Estimated total: 2 (1 deadly shootings)
- Up 1 vs Jan 2021

Gothenburg/Göteborg Municipality (Pop 578 000)
Estimated total: 0 (0 deadly shootings)
- Down 1 vs Jan 2021

Malmo/Malmö Municipality (Pop 344 000)
Estimated total: 3 (2 deadly shootings)
- Up 2 vs Jan 2021

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 3:01 AM

Now that we're about 10% through the year, here's some stats from cities that are easy to pull data from. Mostly positive progress since last year--

BOSTON
2022 YTD: 2
2021 YTD: 7
Down 71%

CHICAGO
2022 YTD: 61
2021 YTD: 60
Up 2%

LOS ANGELES
2022 YTD: 30
2021 YTD: 39
Down 23%

NEW YORK
2022 YTD: 34
2021 YTD: 39
Down 13%

PHILADELPHIA
2022: 50
2021: 54
Down 7%

WASHINGTON, DC
2022: 15
2021: 17
Down 12%

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 3:25 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ well that is a relief to see.

so far, so better.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 1:28 PM

Number of homicides down 7% in Brazil in 2021, the lowest since 2007

41,069 homicides were registered in the country, that's now below 20/100,000 inh (19/100,000).

São Paulo state is now at 6.47/100,000 inh. (3,096 homicides in 2021), the lowest rate in the country.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions