HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Are car alarms a necessity, noise pollution or something in between?
Noise pollution 27 61.36%
A necessity to prevent theft 4 9.09%
Both 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 11:58 PM

Car Alarms - Necessity or Noise Pollution

Sorry if this thread has been done before. I searched the forum but the keyword "car" is apparently too common and therefor cannot be included in the search results.

Car alarms. Many of us who live in cities are forced to listen to them on a regular basis. From my balcony I mostly hear traffic, sirens, train horns and car alarms. Do car alarms serve a valid purpose and actually prevent theft, or are they just noise pollution? Or both?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 12:21 AM

Does anyone actually do anything when they hear a car alarm sounding? Ever?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:53 AM
E pluribus unum

Necessary for maybe 5 to 10 seconds, then obnoxious if the vehicle's owner(s) let it go any longer.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:58 AM
Dryer lint inspector

For about 5 minutes in 1991, people actually looked to see if a car was being broken into when they heard an alarm but now it's just urban noise.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:48 AM
Never Dell

I rarely hear them. Being in the middle of the block with an empty alley (just garage to-from) has its advantages.

They serve no purpose, and they're incredibly rude to put it politely.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:08 AM

When I lived in California, where places were generally more densely populated and there were more cars around, I thought that they were a complete nuisance.

Here in Seattle, I can kind of understand them. I rarely hear a car alarm go off in my neighborhood (I don't think that one has gone off at all, actually), and it's nice to know that I will be warned if anything happens to my parents' car that I am driving.

Tl;dr: It greatly depends on how urban your neighborhood is. More urban = more of a nuisance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Does anyone actually do anything when they hear a car alarm sounding? Ever?
A few days ago, when I was visiting my parents in a different part of town, I heard an alarm go off outside. I went out to the window to check to see if it was their car. So yeah, people do things occasionally.

I'm not sure that the benefits outweigh the costs, but there is some value in an alarm.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:29 AM

Not only is it noise pollution and a public nuisance, the net effect of the constant shrill alarms that go unheeded in our cities is to make us feel less secure in our surroundings, to rob us of our sense of peace and tranquility, to constantly put us on edge. As such, it is more akin to a long running and cumulative act of domestic terrorism. Perpetrators should be arrested and sent to Guantanamo.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:18 AM

Woah! Take it easy.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:24 AM

I don't know where I first read this as it has been many years, but I have agreed ever since: "Car alarms = Urban crickets."

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:39 AM

My car just came with an alarm that I assume has gone off at some point and annoyed some people. I’ll never know. Personally, I’d prefer it didn’t have an alarm. But cars come with alarms now days. From what I can tell, they all have alarms. Thankfully, there seems to be a time limit for how long they go off. My guess is 10 minutes. That seems to be the standard.

When alarms go off multiple times for ten minutes at a time (or whatever the threshold is) - oh man. That’s when I want to go down there and smash some windows. Give that alarm a reason to go off!

Wait. Maybe I need to take it easy. I’m getting all worked up, lol

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
My car just came with an alarm that I assume has gone off at some point and annoyed some people. I’ll never know. Personally, I’d prefer it didn’t have an alarm. But cars come with alarms now days. From what I can tell, they all have alarms. Thankfully, there seems to be a time limit for how long they go off. My guess is 10 minutes. That seems to be the standard.

When alarms go off multiple times for ten minutes at a time (or whatever the threshold is) - oh man. That’s when I want to go down there and smash some windows. Give that alarm a reason to go off!

Wait. Maybe I need to take it easy. I’m getting all worked up, lol
I am certain that I personally have set off my car alarm more than every other person alive ever has. Fortunately, I'm on a 1.7 acre property so I only annoy the fam.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
For about 5 minutes in 1991, people actually looked to see if a car was being broken into when they heard an alarm but now it's just urban noise.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:34 PM

Car alarms or panic buttons? I didn't think car alarms were still a thing. They are mostly obsolete, since most cars today can't be started without the key. Panic buttons are useful, but you'll only appreciate it when you actually need to use it.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:30 PM

Generally useless and a source of noise. IMO a useful car alarm would be a silent one that sends a message directly to the owner that his/her car is being fiddled with or a message to a car service that could then contact police if necessary.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Car alarms or panic buttons? I didn't think car alarms were still a thing. They are mostly obsolete, since most cars today can't be started without the key. Panic buttons are useful, but you'll only appreciate it when you actually need to use it.
I didn't think car alarms were a thing anymore either. None of the cars I've had, had one, not that I drove fancy cars or anything. But even so, it's always the case that when you do hear a car alarm, it's coming from someone's 20 year-old Nissan Maxima or something, it's never a fancy car.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
You’re probably right. I don’t know anything about cars. I drive a 15 year old Lexus which I bought for 7 grand back when it was a 13 year old Lexus. I assumed it has an alarm. I assumed all cars have alarms. But I don’t know anything about cars.

About a week ago this dude on my block was struggling with his car alarm. He had a Jeep that looked all shiny and new to me so I assumed it was a late model. He would have to enter through the passenger door because every time he opened the drivers side door the alarm would go off again. The hood was open and he’d do something under there (presumably disconnect the battery) each time to make the alarm stop. Multiple pedestrians saw his struggle and stopped to try and help him. I wanted to go down there and help him but I don’t know anything about cars.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:12 PM

So this happened the other day:

An extremely loud Harley Davidson rolled down the street and left a chorus of car alarms in its wake. Maybe it’s extremely loud Harley Davidsons that should be banned!

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:00 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I didn't think car alarms were a thing anymore either. None of the cars I've had, had one, not that I drove fancy cars or anything. But even so, it's always the case that when you do hear a car alarm, it's coming from someone's 20 year-old Nissan Maxima or something, it's never a fancy car.
They are still around but they are factory installed and integrated into the car's electronics as opposed to shitty aftermarket add-ons which are overly sensitive.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 8:17 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
So this happened the other day:

An extremely loud Harley Davidson rolled down the street and left a chorus of car alarms in its wake. Maybe it’s extremely loud Harley Davidsons that should be banned!
You're soooo close.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 8:39 PM
Meh

My parents had one on their Lincoln Town Car that it came with in the 90s, but I don't know of anyone else in the family who did then or still does. Ironically, the only people I know of in the neighborhood who have one now on one of their cars had it repoed a few years ago in the middle of the night. They were awake anyway and ran out to the tow-truck driver to complain. The cops ended up showing up, but they did repo their car.

Anyway, every time a big truck or a loud car or motorcycle goes by or every time there's thunder, that car alarm chirps as a warning. I don't mind that so much since most people just hit the button when they're at home, but if it's out in a parking lot and they can't hear it or if they happen to not be home, but are maybe in a different car at the time is when it can be a nuisance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions