HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 7:31 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Your map is deceiving because of the shape and size of the location markers relative to the map zoom level.

A google maps search indicates there’s a single HEB location, not counting the other chains, on the east side of the metro between I-610 and Beltway 8 and I-45 (on both sides of town). That’s ~1/6 of the metro area without easy access to an HEB.

And on the south side between I-610 and the beltway there’s only one HEB between 45 and 90. Thats another huge swath. And that one is on beltway 8 itself.
I think we're working off of different definitions of what the "Houston area" or "metro" is, tbh. It sounds like you're describing the city proper, but not necessarily the metro.

I zoomed out to that extent since that covers (if not a bit more to the west) the OMB definition of the Houston Metro or what most people would likely consider the Greater Houston "area". It probably encompasses more of what would be the Nielsen DMA definition for the market - which is something I deal with regularly as part of my job - and kind of default to when I consider "areas" in general, so I apologize if there's any confusion.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:23 PM

50% preleased? Large out-of-state companies are driving demand for new downtown tower

Quote:
By Ryan Salchert
Staff Writer, Dallas Business Journal

The tallest new building in Dallas for more than three decades may soon become a reality — and half of it could be preleased by the time it breaks ground.

"We would be looking to have a third to 50 percent of the tower preleased. We’ve been focused on those sizes in terms of recent conversations," Ken Reese, executive vice president of Hillwood Urban, recently told the Business Journal.

The company revealed plans Friday for the Field Street Tower, a 38-story, 520,000-square-foot downtown skyscraper. Reaching 600 feet, the project would be the tallest building built in Dallas since the 1980s.
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...ood-urban.html

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 8:48 PM

Is 50% preleased or that’s what they’re hoping for ?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Is 50% preleased or that’s what they’re hoping for ?
Somewhere I read is that they'll start construction if a tenant signs on, weather that will be 1 or multiple is anybody guess right now. I'm assuming 50% is the goal there shooting for.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Somewhere I read is that they'll start construction if a tenant signs on, weather that will be 1 or multiple is anybody guess right now. I'm assuming 50% is the goal there shooting for.
Hopefully this boring turd receives a redesign. What an underutilization of this spot.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 4:42 PM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 6:37 PM

Not sure how'd they get this done. They would have to tear those apartments down, and there are a lot of people living in them. This project would be pretty cool if they can get it done.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:16 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkill34 View Post
Not sure how'd they get this done. They would have to tear those apartments down, and there are a lot of people living in them. This project would be pretty cool if they can get it done.
I'm sure someone else more familiar with these situations could answer this more accurately, but I believe they notify current residents and simply allow current leases to finish out in most cases. This would then be approximately 12 months until the last of the current tenants are out, then demolition, etc. That land is begging to be redeveloped.

This looks like an awesome project for Uptown and the Dallas core as a whole. 80 stories north of Woodall Rogers would be pretty impressive, for sure. Heck, that would be good in downtown.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I'm sure someone else more familiar with these situations could answer this more accurately, but I believe they notify current residents and simply allow current leases to finish out in most cases. This would then be approximately 12 months until the last of the current tenants are out, then demolition, etc. That land is begging to be redeveloped.

This looks like an awesome project for Uptown and the Dallas core as a whole. 80 stories north of Woodall Rogers would be pretty impressive, for sure. Heck, that would be good in downtown.
Definitely the first paragraph. The suburban nature of the apartment community was just meant to be knocked down and redeveloped in the future, and that future is now very clear.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 3:03 PM

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Your map is deceiving because of the shape and size of the location markers relative to the map zoom level.

A google maps search indicates there’s a single HEB location, not counting the other chains, on the east side of the metro between I-610 and Beltway 8 and I-45 (on both sides of town). That’s ~1/6 of the metro area without easy access to an HEB.

And on the south side between I-610 and the beltway there’s only one HEB between 45 and 90. Thats another huge swath. And that one is on beltway 8 itself.
Google maps is not at up-to-date as H-E-B's own map.

There are a few large swaths of unserved areas: They tend to locate their stores near more affluent areas. Considering there were only a handful 20 years ago (if even), they're obviously committed to Houston.

ETA: Their presence on the south side of San Antonio (their hometown) and on Austin's east side are pretty limited as well.

Last edited by bilbao58; Jul 16, 2021 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 6:15 PM

Wish it were taller.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:51 PM

I like how buildings are now stretching towards Deep Ellum. If we can develop the eastern end of downtown, which stretches into Deep Ellum (including the projects already built and in construction over there), it could look really nice for our skyline.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I like how buildings are now stretching towards Deep Ellum. If we can develop the eastern end of downtown, which stretches into Deep Ellum (including the projects already built and in construction over there), it could look really nice for our skyline.
I agree.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 2:44 AM

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...mell-crow.html

A much-needed tower on this McKinney lot. That golds gym closed down a long time ago.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 2:43 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...own-tower.html

One of the largest proposed projects in Dallas is moving forward after receiving unanimous zoning approval from the Dallas City Council Wednesday.

On an 11-acre parcel between N. Houston and N. Field streets where the North End Apartments are currently located, Dallas-based Hunt Realty Investments is planning an ambitious mixed-use project, tentatively called the Field Street development. The project could include multiple skyscrapers, a 1.5-acre park and as much as 3.75 million square feet of commercial and residential space. Its tallest skyscraper could also reach higher than 80 stories, according to plans submitted to the Oak Lawn Committee last year...the project could break ground as soon as the second half of 2022.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 4:00 AM
Meh

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 7:32 AM

Quote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...own-tower.html

One of the largest proposed projects in Dallas is moving forward after receiving unanimous zoning approval from the Dallas City Council Wednesday.

On an 11-acre parcel between N. Houston and N. Field streets where the North End Apartments are currently located, Dallas-based Hunt Realty Investments is planning an ambitious mixed-use project, tentatively called the Field Street development. The project could include multiple skyscrapers, a 1.5-acre park and as much as 3.75 million square feet of commercial and residential space. Its tallest skyscraper could also reach higher than 80 stories, according to plans submitted to the Oak Lawn Committee last year...the project could break ground as soon as the second half of 2022.

Holy s***! This is actually moving forward?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 9:53 PM

I'm glad it's moving forward and won't die like the 70+ story twin tower project that was proposed before the recession of 2008.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 10:35 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

It still looks like vaporware. Honestly I kind of hate it, given how high commercial vacancies are the best case scenario is this would cannabalize older towers in the downtown core and maybe even lead to some demolitions or abandonment. It sprawls the CBD away from from the Main Street core and away from DART. It looks like they are going to tear down a lot of existing residential units to create a big empty lot that will take forever to fill with the different phases.

I just think Dallas is notorious for these types of developments that always end up half-complete and leave empty lots everywhere. Cityplace was never realized. Victory as originally proposed before the recession wasn't realized and is just now backfilling with more conventional development. Etc. Dallas developers always bite off more than they can chew and then nobody is surprised when they gag.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations