HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 10:22 AM
🇹🇼

Drawings are getting broken !?

Does the website server get some problem ? Lots of diagrams are getting some blur effect today.
The problem is terrify. Those diagrams are illustrator's masterpiece.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 1:24 PM
I am the law!

I don't know. Those drawings appear fine for me. This may not have to do with SSP

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 1:47 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

A few are blurred out on my viewer too...

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 2:06 PM
Illustrator

Same here...

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 3:13 PM

It seems to mostly affect buildings from the World Skyscraper Contruction page.

The blur persists through pages 1-6 with Sky Taipei being the first one not blurry, then number of blurry illustrations quickly dies down on page 7 and later to just few individual buildings.

The problem appeared yesterday I think though I'm not sure.
No idea what could cause something like that.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 3:32 PM
Illustrator

I've checked it on my PC and here they look fine. The problem is on the cell phone, but strangely it only affects certain buildings, especially proposed and under construction. I had already noticed the problem several days ago, but I thought it was just bad drawings.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 3:47 PM
🇹🇼

I found the diagram drawn by me would return clear if I log in.

And the influence of this problem is bigger than when I posted the first thread.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 7:21 PM

I experience it too. Most, but not all, u/c and proposed buildings are blurry. Both when I'm logged in and when I'm not.

Have to check how it is on another computer tomorrow.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 10:54 PM
I am the law!

Stop with the bullshit or provide a link to where he posted he was going to blur drawings. It's evident in the first post of this thread that it isn't just drawings by Dylan being blurred so the image you posted is nonsensical.

I haven't seen a single blurred image while logged in so the data isn't corrupted. The drawings are likely safe and this will be worked out over time.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 2:56 PM

I'm also having this issue, even when I'm logged in. It looks like it doesn't happen to "built" buildings, but it does happen to most (but not all) under construction, proposed, on hold, etc. It also doesn't appear to effect my own drawings when I look at it, even the ones that don't have a "built" status.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 6:21 PM

I have no authority to say this, but can we all please be civil? I'm pretty sure Dylan sent out emails saying that the diagrams of Proposed and U/C buildings would take longer to approve because of copyright garbage. All we need to do is get the word out to the higher ups and they'll figure out what's wrong with the site.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 8:52 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRKMRRMK View Post
you are really stupid, all those years and do not know the owner Dylan uses sometimes drawings uploading in own count to make his experiences, all my 20 years of SSP have seen that, you never did an improvement with drawings, so you have to stop with your bullshits, you think because Dylan gave you only Editor Powers that you are the law of this website. You do not know even how do a proper drawing search. So please do not be ignorant thinking you are the owner, no you are nothing, not even moderator, admnistrator or so.

All I did was call you out on your accusations. Why am I not surprised that links to back up those accusations didn't materialize and instead became one long ranting personal attack LOL

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 12:30 AM
Illstrator / Editor

Website management is getting worse and worse.
Is Dylan healthy?

I have no choice but to worry about Dylan's safety because I can't find a replacement website for Skyscraperpage.

It is estimated that approval processing of the current diagram is currently performed only by Dylan.

I'm afraid the SSP will go bust.
There is no alternative website...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 1:09 PM
🇹🇼

First, I found that the diagrams are well preserved. The wrong showing in SSP are just directions to the 'blur' sites.

Second, I didn't know why CRKMRRMK seemed to hate Dylan and part of editors. There was no evidence to proof any problem was deliberately done by them. Please be kind !!

Third, I thought it's good moment to changed the website. The problems in recent year were scary for the active illustrators. We should gradually improve some problems and add convenient functions for this era.

Here are a few things of my mind:
1. Provide a more convenient building request page. The current way is not intuitive for providers and editors. Providers did not have a convenient way to get coordinates for the building and didn't know how many types for "Building Uses", "Structural Types" and "Materials", so it maked the data not to be complete. It's also inconvenient for editors. Editors needed to copy all information one by one. Therefore, the website can provide a request sites like how editors add buildings. And editors check the source is right or not, then just click the "pass" or "denied" to complete the whole request process. I think it will increase the efficiency.

2. Add a co-work mechanism. The diagrams were need to get approved by Dylan and less managers now. It seemed understaffed, so it took too much time to wait "approved". We can use the scoring mechanism. It may be like : The illustrators who have more than 200 diagrams can have vote right. And they can vote for the diagrams waiting approved. If the diagram get over 3 votes then pass (3/5 vote). It also can use on choosing primary diagram.

3. Website Revamp. The design of SSP is not changed for a long time. It can change to RWD website to get good experience for phone users.

4. Copyright and Liability. The copyright statement is currently very vague. We(illustrators) should be get better copyright notices, and provide the diagrams are original work for the websites at the same time. If the diagram is plagiarism, the illustrator should be blacklisted to protect the website.

5. Website operation. I don't know if the site has financial problems. According to "Similarweb", there are 1.4M vistors per month to SSP. Maybe improve the advertising design of the website, the website can support itself. Top managers may be a big problem in operation. We don't know SSP is owned by dylan alone or by multiple people. So the active state of Dylan is we cared about.

It is not easy to change it quickly. Therefore I hope Dylan or other top managers can give us some mail to make us not worry. I am a website developer, so I can help if Dylan need.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 12:18 AM
Illstrator / Editor

Obviously, I know what happened a few years ago.
Several illustrators' diagrams have been deleted as a whole.
Why is that? Because it didn't comply with the website's policy?
I don't really know why. Therefore, I also suffer from anxiety.

Anyway, I want to help Skyscraperpage develop as much as I can.

Diagram is literally just a hobby, but it changed my life. It is a very healthy, informative, and interesting hobby.
I'm afraid of losing this hobby.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 7:11 AM
🇹🇼

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRKMRRMK View Post
^YuShen... probably you are newer than me with SSP.. I was from a time --- when had also the Diagrams in China, this site is since long lost --- but my starts were in 1999 seeing and after made more than 1500 drawings for all over the world, Brasil. S. Paulo, Hamburg, Munich... Dams, Itaipú, Bridges a lot of ... the THE C Tim Netherlander was unfair with me and Alpha... became editor, Dylan wrongly complained my accuracy english ...
I was shocked by the fact. In the past, "https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225661" this thread was never explained by any manager. I found it is more complex than meets the eye. Thank you for telling me that.
It's pity for this unique website. It's more unstable and with more problems than my thought.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 1:36 PM
I am the law!

At one point, the database was accidentally deleted and the backup was months old. Thousands of database entries were lost. If I remember correctly, many were eventually recovered but, not all.

I don't know where I got this info. The removal of building photos was mentioned as temporary until the database could be moved to a better server. The photos were a huge reason for me getting hooked on the site. I appreciate the drawings for their artistic value, quality and, uniqueness but, they really aren't my thing.

Photos and drawings are the intellectual property of the creators. It'a a legal quagmire and SSP really has no rights in preventing anyone from removing any or all their drawings at any point.

Fact of the matter is the database has always been managed on a shoestring budget and photos, for example, take up a lot of data. The alternative is Emporis which was sold early on and abruptly changed from a free, all access site to a subscription based one.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etesia View Post
Obviously, I know what happened a few years ago.
Several illustrators' diagrams have been deleted as a whole.
Why is that? Because it didn't comply with the website's policy?
I don't really know why. Therefore, I also suffer from anxiety.

I'm guessing Google threatened with legal consequenses as some drawings uploaded on SSP looked a lot like 3D models of Google Earth.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:47 PM
🇹🇼

I thought the problem did not involve google earth, because the diagrams in SSP are usually quite different from reality, even the pretty ones. And this problem doesn't occur to built buildings. So it is also confused for me that why buildings that never built are also affected.

Additionally, the number of diagrams in SSP is 108,997 pieces (including the deleted). Assume the average size of a diagram is 30kb. The total data of diagrams is less than 4gb, this is much less than the websites of 'skyscrapers photography', like emporis and CTBUH. But if the website resources are still tight, The format of diagrams can be change from 'gif' to 'webp'. It can significantly reduce the size of data. For example, my work 'Taipei 101' in gif is 26.6kb and in webp is 16.7kb. It reduced data by 37%!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 7:36 PM
S. vd Valk

This notifications appears when uploading a new drawing:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams