HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Building next to the river shouldn't matter. There's groundwater everywhere. You need to build a concrete shell or 'bathtub' regardless.
This is totally incorrect if it's a blanket assumption that towers here are always built with a bathtub. Over and over again various residential towers downtown have been seen with no excavation downwards other than for caissons (and elevator pits and other utilities); if you look at early stage construction photos from various projects, say Loews Streeterville, the first part of the building to visibly materialize is the ground floor, not any lower level. It would not be too hard, and would be interesting, to check new residential towers downtown from the past decade or two and see how many actually have basements.

I assume developers just find it cheaper and quicker to build all parking in podiums above ground. It seems pretty common to see underground parking in many other cities, but in Chicago it seems comparatively rare. The idealistic Spire was an extreme example, and with Parkview West / One Bennett and River East are exceptions; even a mega project like Trump Tower didn't go below grade I think. Maybe any chance of having construction start overlap with the dead of winter is one factor that makes planners dispense with basements from the outset. I'm sure many here have a better understanding of what's going on.

As for Wolf Point East, it's of a significant enough scale (including being part of a multiuse complex) that they might be putting uses underground, but even then it could be just 1 floor without really going below river level. I can only imagine the huge cost difference between having a bathtub and having no uses below grade.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
This is totally incorrect if it's a blanket assumption that towers here are always built with a bathtub. Over and over again various residential towers downtown have been seen with no excavation downwards other than for caissons (and elevator pits and other utilities); if you look at early stage construction photos from various projects, say Loews Streeterville, the first part of the building to visibly materialize is the ground floor, not any lower level. It would not be too hard, and would be interesting, to check new residential towers downtown from the past decade or two and see how many actually have basements.

I assume developers just find it cheaper and quicker to build all parking in podiums above ground. It seems pretty common to see underground parking in many other cities, but in Chicago it seems comparatively rare. The idealistic Spire was an extreme example and an exception; even a mega project like Trump Tower didn't go below grade I think. Maybe any chance of having construction start overlap with the dead of winter is one factor that makes planners dispense with basements from the outset. I'm sure many here have a better understanding of what's going on.

As for Wolf Point East, it's of a significant enough scale (including being part of a multiuse complex) that they might be putting uses underground, but even then it could be just 1 floor without really going below river level. I can only imagine the huge cost difference between having a bathtub and having no uses below grade.
I have watched a few over the past decade and the standard seems to be 1-2 below grade - the exceptions stand out (Aqua, 111 W Illinois, an a few others). Most of the older buildings have the heating plant below grade.

The whole thing gets muddled around the river as the "ground floor" is 2 tall stories up. 321 N Clark has LL1, a full level above the river, LL2 which is a few feet above river level, and then LL3 and LL4 which are actually below grade.

I suspect that to put in a good sized mat you need to remove the old basements, and once you've already dug the hole the new basement is cheap.

no basement
225 W Van Buren
111 W Illinois
345 E Wacker
375 E Wacker
301 Columbus

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 11:02 AM

^ So, a lot of LSE and the greater IC area have no basements. (Shoreham, Tides, Lancaster, etc. probably join the list, especially considering Lowenberg's penny pinching.) They also wouldn't have had any old basements to rip out.

But what about Wolf Point West?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 9:25 PM

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:36 PM

They moved the camera to the north and stopped it. Does anyone have a new link??.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkcon...iverpointplaza

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 3:36 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Nice...

Though I wish the Orleans visual terminus looking south was a bit more dramatic.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 4:11 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Nice...

Though I wish the Orleans visual terminus looking south was a bit more dramatic.
My guess is that it will be. I think this rendering is out of scale

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 1:26 PM

Case Foundation was setting up the big rig on site this morning (7/12). A smaller soil sampling rig also appeared to be at work.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Case Foundation was setting up the big rig on site this morning (7/12). A smaller soil sampling rig also appeared to be at work.

Very low quality photo that I snapped quickly a moment ago. Foundation drilling is underway. Forum old timers will have to remind me at what point we move to UC.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 9:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

HUZZAH!!!

thanks for snapping that pic.

time for some bananarama!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 12, 2017 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
HUZZAH!!!

thanks for snapping that pic.

time for some bananarama!

FYI this thread doesn't show up on the Chicago Construction Page.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:25 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:53 AM
The City

Oh yeah! Oh yeah! Oh yeah!

Now that's a construction start.

Bring it on---bring it to the river!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:04 PM
you know where I'll be

Nice. This looks to be a great tower....

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:47 PM
Development Shill

One step closer to completing the river canyon!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:58 PM
BANNED

Mod can we please add chicago tag to this?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Oh yeah! Oh yeah! Oh yeah!

Now that's a construction start.

Bring it on---bring it to the river!
I applaud your enthusiasm!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 2:02 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Mod can we please add chicago tag to this?
for like the 100th time now, we lowly moderators don't have the ability to tag threads.

there are only 2 people in the entire universe who can do that (Dylan & Mike), and they only get to it when they get to it.

frustrating? hell yes. but it's just the way it is because of how the forum software is coded, or so i've been told.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 13, 2017 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 6:28 PM
BANNED

Thank you for the information!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive