HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 6:59 PM

Arizona Center Development

I figured this deserved its own thread now that the reno is kicking off AND will include multi-family housing and boutique hotel in the first phase

Link

No details on how many units or height just yet, but according to this brochure that was circulating around last year, hotel appears to be 10+ stories and would be situated on 5th St, just south of the parking garage (Parcel A).

Residential may go on the NWC of 5th and Van Buren and also appears to be 10+ stories (Parcel B). Empty parcels are zoned for up to 450'

https://cassidyturley.onehub.com/d/x6h2/

AC Marriot Hotel Rendering

Palmcourt Tower (residential tower)

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Apr 9, 2018 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 2:00 AM

This is great, hopefully they will renovate the AMC also.....

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 8:06 PM

scratch the original response - too quick and missed the article!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc34 View Post
This is great, hopefully they will renovate the AMC also.....
From what I remember reading from previous articles, the AMC is not in scope to be renovated OR down-sized. At least in the initial phase. I think 24 screens is too big and would like to see it reduced.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 10:24 PM

Wow, make Arizona Center great again!

The sheer number of things underway right now is astonishing.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:41 PM

Check out progress of Arizona Center’s $25 million renovations

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:46 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
But still no announcements of new tenants. I'm hoping that's coming soon. Renovated or not, there's a lot of vacant space at the Arizona Center.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
But still no announcements of new tenants. I'm hoping that's coming soon. Renovated or not, there's a lot of vacant space at the Arizona Center.
Agreed. Tidbits in the article about the hotel/apartments too.

Quote:
Jaimie Cronemeyer, senior vice president of operations at Parallel Capital Partners, announced during the ceremony for the renovations in March that a boutique hotel and multifamily housing will be added as amenities to the Arizona Center. More details for the newly announced amenities will be released after negotiations are complete.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:01 PM

31-story, $100M apartment tower planned for downtown Phoenix

Already posted in the Phoenix thread but figured would post here as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-downtown.html

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:13 PM

More details:

Quote:
A $100 million project, the planned 31-story tower will be the second tallest residential building in downtown Phoenix. Rising 25 stories above the swimming pool terrace on the roof of the six-level parking garage, will be 350 residences ranging from modest studios to one, two, and three bedroom units. Eight different floor plans will provide for innovative and functional contemporary living with a variety of unit sizes from 550 square feet to 1,650 square feet.

“This residential tower will help define the reinvention of the Arizona Center as a vibrant and fresh pedestrian oriented live/work/shop precinct at the heart of Phoenix,” said Chris Chamberlain of North American Development Group. “We are looking forward to having roots in the core of Downtown at the iconic Arizona Center.”

Carefully inserted into the palm-lined walkways of Arizona Center’s southeastern corner at 5th St. & Van Buren, the residential tower will provide a shaded arcade/courtyard experience for residents and visitors alike. In addition to a generous ‘lobby living room’ at its base, spaces for coffee, wine, and food will enliven the walkways with indoor and outdoor activity.
http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/...tial-developer

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 9:01 PM

For scale, One and Two Arizona Center are 18 and 20 stories, respectively, so this should be a nice step up. At least as far as height goes, I can imagine it being more or less in line with the original proposal.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 10:55 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
For scale, One and Two Arizona Center are 18 and 20 stories, respectively, so this should be a nice step up. At least as far as height goes, I can imagine it being more or less in line with the original proposal.

The tallest building at Arizona Center is approx. 255'. The new tower is going to be nearly double that at around 425' to 450'. Let's hope it doesn't get scaled back. This can start a killer trend for Phoenix!

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
The tallest building at Arizona Center is approx. 255'. The new tower is going to be nearly double that at around 425' to 450'. Let's hope it doesn't get scaled back. This can start a killer trend for Phoenix!
Where are you getting those height numbers? For comparison, 44 Monroe (at 34 stories) is 380' tall. This one is going to be 31-stories, so I'm assuming will be less than 44 Monroe?

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:05 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Where are you getting those height numbers? For comparison, 44 Monroe (at 34 stories) is 380' tall. This one is going to be 31-stories, so I'm assuming will be less than 44 Monroe?
Did you guys not read the article?

"The planned apartment tower will have 350 units and would be the second tallest building in the state after only Chase Tower."

Since US Bank Tower is 407', it will have to be taller than that which is what I based my height estimation off of

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Did you guys not read the article?

"The planned apartment tower will have 350 units and would be the second tallest building in the state after only Chase Tower."

Since US Bank Tower is 407', it will have to be taller than that which is what I based my height estimation off of :-)
Why yes I did but common sense told me PBJ was incorrect and I decided to do research on my own

This article states it correctly that it will be the "second tallest residential building"

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:08 PM

It's possible the author misunderstood what he was told and maybe he should have written "second tallest residential tower in Arizona". 407/31 = 13 feet per floor. Seems abnormal.

edit: looks like air romeo beat me to the punch while I was writing this reply!

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:12 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Why yes I did but common sense told me PBJ was incorrect and I decided to do research on my own

This article states it correctly that it will be the "second tallest residential building"

Well, one article is right and one is wrong, lol. So, I guess we will wait and see the final plans. Just for arguments sake, never base a building height off of floor count

*Edit: I'm trying to wrap my head around the numbers. This tower would have 350 units. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 44 Monroe only have about 190 or so units? And the proposed Derby Tower was at 210 units on 19 floors. For this tower to have 350 units with 25 floors above parking, these would have to be small Derby-sized units....or one heck of a large footprint? 39,970' seems average for lot-size, so I'm guessing micro-apartments?

*2nd Edit: Finally got to a PC and not my cellphone and was able to Google the location and read the AZ Big Media article. Looks like the chosen lot is a pretty good size, so it appears this will be a pretty good sized footprint. I hate squatty high-rises, lol. But this may be just what AZ Center needs to become a vibrant location! Also, could this also put the theater to better use? I wondered why they did not reduce the number of screens.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; May 16, 2017 at 11:50 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:19 AM

"Architects for the residential tower project are Phoenix-based Will Bruder Architects."

Hell yes! Top architects designing beautiful buildings will play a huge role in attracting more people/projects to Downtown.

http://willbruderarchitects.com/proj...elected-works/

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Well, *2nd Edit: Finally got to a PC and not my cellphone and was able to Google the location and read the AZ Big Media article. Looks like the chosen lot is a pretty good size, so it appears this will be a pretty good sized footprint. I hate squatty high-rises, lol. But this may be just what AZ Center needs to become a vibrant location! Also, could this also put the theater to better use? I wondered why they did not reduce the number of screens.
Yeah I always wondered the same about AMC. It's tied with the Ahwatukee one for the most screens in the Valley at 24. I would rather they reduce the number and perhaps renovate/enhance the existing the screens or something. Anyways, we'll see what happens! I'm hoping hotel plans are revealed next and soon!

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:41 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
"Architects for the residential tower project are Phoenix-based Will Bruder Architects."

Hell yes! Top architects designing beautiful buildings will play a huge role in attracting more people/projects to Downtown.

http://willbruderarchitects.com/proj...elected-works/
Interesting. I don't think of Bruder as designing vertically. While the Burton Barr Library is five stories tall, it's wider than it is high, so it's more of a horizontal building. That seems true of most of the work showcased on the website. I also don't think of Bruder's designs as particularly urban. The Burton Barr Library, for example, is set back from Central and many of his other projects have a desert feel. That's not necessarily bad, but not what I'd envision on a relatively small parcel at 5th Street & Van Buren. It will be interesting to see what this looks like if it goes forward.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest