HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 12:02 AM
ARTchitecture

Saskatoon | City Centre | 105m - 87m - ?m | Proposed

An amazing development for Saskatoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
First glimpses of the City Centre Tower project in Saskatoon:

Screenshots from a City rezoning report in the Municipal Planning Commission agenda: http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/..._mp_041114.pdf

Details from report:
- Commercial/residential tower at 105 m (new SK tallest and first proposal in province to break 100 m)
- Commercial/office tower at 87 m (2nd new tallest in Saskatoon)

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:33 AM

Hey Chad, I don't think there's a third tower in this project. What is considered Phase I, according to the elevations, is the already-existing 4 storey BHP Billiton Place on 3rd Ave. Phase II appears to then be the condo tower, and Phase III the office tower.

The fact that it's being bundled as 3 phases, with an overhead walkway link from BHP Billiton Place to the new towers has me wondering if there's a connection between BHP and the proposed office tower. Come on Jansen mine!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:41 AM

A great addition to the skyline , totally modern very very nice

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:13 AM

I'm a happy kid just due to the design of the project and the fact that it's two towers instead of one plus the fact that Phase II is over 100m and Phase III is our new second tallest, is just icing on the cake

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:11 AM

While the design itself leaves a lot to be desired, it's likely to improve once it actually gets released to the public in a promo package. The council models are usually a little ugly compared to the final product.

That being said, love love love the height. But most importantly, we're getting ground floor retail throughout the whole complex. Will be a huge addition to the downtown.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:01 AM

Holy crap! Wow, that'd be something.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:14 AM

Fingers, toes, and everything else that I can think of is crossed.

Please, please, please build this.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:32 AM
Ach, du.

It's not terrible. That's all I'm excited about!
Was expecting this to look like a dogs breakfast.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:05 PM

Very impressive. What a nice shot in the arm that would be for 22nd and for the skyline in general.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:21 PM

It's funny, the condo tower design is about what I expected. No more, no less. This is Saskatchewan, so I wasn't expected some groundbreaking, world class tower. It is a perfectly nice and acceptable building for our city's downtown and our new tallest, and about what we should expect in design for a city of our size (probably even better).

I've been trying to imagine the impact of this project on the skyline. It will be a striking change from all core bridges. The view approaching downtown from the west on 22nd Street will be greatly changed, too.

The office tower is a complete surprise. Again, I wonder about a connection to BHP Billiton here, and how far into the future the "Phase III" office tower may be. The priority for me is to see the condo tower go up first though, and pronto!

The 3D perspectives make the towers look a little chunky, but that could be a trick of the renderings, and will hopefully be cleaned up. The height of both buildings is impressive.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The 3D perspectives make the towers look a little chunky, but that could be a trick of the renderings, and will hopefully be cleaned up. The height of both buildings is impressive.
When they release street level/eye level perspectives it won't look as chunky. The street presence is impressive and its a great fit for that corner. Now if someone develops on the empty lot on the corner of 22nd and 3rd that will be quite the city block.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:54 PM

Downtown Saskatoon https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...uid=7250008.00 had a population of 2,817 in 2011.

290 units (at 1.5 people per unit) will be a population increase of 435. That will bring the downtown population to 3,252.

That will change the population density from 2,427 people per square kilometre to 2,803 people per square kilometre.

Adding 15% to the downtown population will be a dramatic change.

Link is actually http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...ustom=&TABID=1

I'm hoping with the abundance of retail space provided a grocery store could open up there.

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Oct 30, 2014 at 4:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:40 PM

"Adding 15% to the downtown population will be a dramatic change"

...And hopefully this will kick-start further residential development downtown a la River Landing

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
When they release street level/eye level perspectives it won't look as chunky. The street presence is impressive and its a great fit for that corner. Now if someone develops on the empty lot on the corner of 22nd and 3rd that will be quite the city block.
That's what I figured, as the elevations do not give an adverse impression.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:59 PM

Is it normal that there would be nothing on the northprairie website about this development yet? Thought they may have posted something there.
Regardless, this is super exciting for the city. No doubt there will continue to be some tweeking to the design, but I can live with its current rendering.
Have to say I think this will be the death of Nasser's dream for Riverlanding and time for the city to parcel that out to get something going down there. Especially if Tower III (office tower) proceeds in the near future.
Good for NorthPrairie Developments for kick starting some major development downtown....I just hope THEY can follow through.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:21 PM

Great project for Saskatoon! I'm sure there will be some tweaks in the design as it moves forward and more renderings are released. It's really going to add a lot to the dynamic on 22nd.

If the proposed highrises (river landing, river centre II, 275 2nd ave, city centre) all went through, Saskatoon's skyline is going to be completely different in 5-10 years. Exciting times!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Regina View Post
Great project for Saskatoon! I'm sure there will be some tweaks in the design as it moves forward and more renderings are released. It's really going to add a lot to the dynamic on 22nd.

If the proposed highrises (river landing, river centre II, 275 2nd ave, city centre) all went through, Saskatoon's skyline is going to be completely different in 5-10 years. Exciting times!
If this and River Landing were both to come to fruition, Saskatoon's skyline will begin to evolve into a 'big-city' skyline.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:45 PM

Ok experts. Anyone want to photoshop this into a skyline photo?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:53 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Ok experts. Anyone want to photoshop this into a skyline photo?
I'll try, but it will be rudimentary at best

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:51 PM

Looks great, but remember River Landing and Capital Pointe in Regina received zoning approval years ago. These very large mixed-use developments are very complex to execute and even harder to finance.

Sure would love to see a new Sask Tallest though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan