HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Wow! and I was just impressed with the Journey to Churchill exhibit! That's awesome.

Me too. There is so much being added /renovated and constructed thier these days.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 7:31 PM

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Zoo breaks ground for new entrance

"Ground was broken this morning to officially mark the start of construction on a new entrance for the Assiniboine Park Zoo.

The $5.5 million project is expected to be completed next spring."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...212005251.html

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 4:57 PM

I didn't know there were any double decker buses left around here anymore. I miss seeing these driving around Winnipeg:

Double decker bus taking a test drive at zoo

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...213320951.html

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 5:25 PM

Assiniboine Park Conservancy gets $418K for butterfly garden

The Friends of Gardens Manitoba has donated $418,000 towards the creation of a butterfly garden within the new conservatory at Assiniboine

The building of a new conservatory, currently in the design stage, is planned to be the last major phase of the Assiniboine Park Conservancy’s $200-million redevelopment plans.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/06/2...tterfly-garden

I know butterfly's ,but its all great news for the new planned conservatory.
Sometimes I like the little things that make up a small portion of the whole concept. Good news.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 8:23 PM

I agree.

It's all the little things that add to the overall product. Spend $150M on the zoo and nothing on the park. You'll have a nice zoo surrounded by a dilapidated park.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I agree.

It's all the little things that add to the overall product. Spend $150M on the zoo and nothing on the park. You'll have a nice zoo surrounded by a dilapidated park.
??? Hmm You agree but disagree? Dilapitated Park? No expenditures on any other parts of the Park? Please continue. Interesting.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
??? Hmm You agree but disagree? Dilapitated Park? No expenditures on any other parts of the Park? Please continue. Interesting.
Sorry! Let me rephrase that.

I agree with you that spending money on all of these little things, even if it's a butterfly garden, adds to the overall state of the park. For example. If you spent $150M on the zoo only and didn't do any of the other smaller projects around the park. You'd have a nice zoo with a crap park around it. Which makes the expensive zoo less attractive.

In other words, I think they're doing a great job with the park!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 9:17 PM

Ahhh I always say things I wish I had re-phrased or corrected or were mis-understood.

Personally, I think that 80% of my posts could be worded better or corrected.
I'll start a poll on it ...lol..
85% of posters believe I'm full of it.... Thumbs up please! Come on a simple thumbs up?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 4:37 PM

Zoo's snow leopards give birth to cubs
By: Staff Writer

The Assiniboine Park Zoo just got a little cooler.
The conservancy announced the birth of two snow leopards Friday morning.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...214385601.html

Not an Upgrade to the zoos infrastructure, but a nice addition to the zoo population.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 8:22 PM

I was walking through the park on Monday and stumbled on a bunch of signs showing how the zoo will look when it is finished. I haven't seen these before, and can't find them anywhere online. Does any one know if this is still what the final product will be? Or was it more to show what it could look like?
Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures

(north is on the left)

(north is on the left)

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 8:51 PM

^^ hey DD...so these ar signs you snapped pictures of at the Zoo?

They do look like much of was initially planned, or has been planned in the III phases the concervancy have been talking about. Some of these are under construction, some completed and some look like future developments.

You've probably already checked this site but it does talk about thier plans, so forth over the long term.It's a long time frame, but I'm excited about it and have been for a long time, It looks like somewhat of a construction zone now but it will be world class in my opinion.

Quote:
The Assiniboine Park Conservancy’s overall $200 million redevelopment plan will be implemented in phases over the course of 10 years.
http://www.assiniboinepark.ca/about/...evelopment.php

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 9:08 PM

Yes they are
Strange thing is they are nowhere near the zoo (new or old entrance)... They're north-west ish of the duck pond, maybe 20 feet from the nearest path. I find it strange that it would not be closer to the zoo so people visiting can see what it will (hopefully) look like when all is finished.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
Yes they are
Strange thing is they are nowhere near the zoo (new or old entrance)... They're north-west ish of the duck pond, maybe 20 feet from the nearest path. I find it strange that it would not be closer to the zoo so people visiting can see what it will (hopefully) look like when all is finished.
It may seem odd as you say, but with the project's scope, a decade at least, sometimes a sign placed for the publics viewing on future developements or improvements may change dramatically over the length of the project, hence from yr. to yr. a new sign would have to be erected/designed.. As you say an odd location per se that is not present at the main gate, for tourists/visitors to see.

A 20 storey bldg. for example, already UC may have a sign showing the completed project but it will pretty much be what you see when completed. But a project depending on donations,change in those involved in planning..etc.. involved over the decade may see changes in the design or concept of the project.

I've been mainly involved in the(non-public areas of the zoo, ie: transport of a orphaned MB. Blk. Bear Cub on it's way to Northern Ont.) So I hear snippets from staff but not those in the planning/designing/ areas of the various enlocures etc.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 10:12 PM

That sign has been up for over a year now, almost two now. When I worked at the zoo there were many changes from the original plan occurring all the time. So far the only two things that haven't really changed as far as planning goes are the front entrance and Journey to Churchill. There was even going to be some cuts from Journey to Churchill before donations made the full scale project possible.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
When I worked at the zoo
Cool is Mr beach still thier?

Edit:Irrelevent post disregard.. Thought poster worked in zoo operations,care of animals,managerial position.

Last edited by Cyro; Sep 4, 2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Irrelevent Post

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 5:04 PM

This is great news, Dr Joseph is an incredible addition to whats happening with the zoo at this time and into the future.Tim Sinclair-Smith was a loss in my opinion but his replacement has a stellar resume in zoological operations.

Assiniboine Park Zoo announces new boss
By: Adam Wazny

The Assiniboine Park Conservancy (APC) announced today that Dr. Brian Joseph is the new Director of Zoological Operations for the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Joseph has over 40 years experience in public and private zoos, nature centres, aquariums and museums throughout the United States, and was most recently the executive director at the Living Coast Discovery Center in Chula Vista, California.

Assiniboine Park Zoo is currently in the midst of an extensive renovation, a project Joseph is looking forward to overseeing when he assumes his role in the Manitoba capital.

"The plans for Assiniboine Park Zoo are extraordinary and I’m very happy to be joining such a great team of people here in Winnipeg," Joseph said in a statement. "It’s such an incredibly exciting time for the zoo right now and I’m really looking forward to being a part of it."

Taking over a work-in-progress is nothing new for Joseph. He has been involved in long-term planning, programming, and operation at some of the most prominent zoos in North America, including Sea World California, San Diego Zoo and Minnesota Zoological Gardens.

Joseph, a U.S. Army reserve veterinarian, is also involved with the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and has also published papers and studies in over 25 professional journals.

"We’re absolutely thrilled to have someone with Brian’s level of knowledge and expertise coming on board here at the Assiniboine Park Zoo," said Don Peterkin, chief operations officer at the APC. "This is the most important time in our history as we near the opening of Journey to Churchill and Brian is the perfect person to lead us through this project and well into the future."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...226144501.html

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 3:32 PM

PUBLIC BUILDING Proj: 9170302-4
Winnipeg, Division No 11 MB PREPARING PLANS
Assiniboine Park Conservatory & Conference Centre, south east corner of Assinaboine Park, R3P
$40,000,000 est
Note: Concept design and feasibility studies have been completed by the architects for this project. Preliminary planning is underway. Owner is seeking provincial funding. Private fundraising is also underway. Working drawings are anticipated spring 2014 pending funds. Schedules for tender and construction are anticipated spring, 2014.
Project: construction of a conservatory building. The building will house world of plants that tell the story of how living ecosystems sustain our health and well-being and event space designed to accommodate up to 400 people. This new facility will be home to a permanent indoor butterfly garden and the new Babs Asper Floral Garden. There will be some meeting spaces and conference rooms included in the scope of work.
Scope: 70,000 square feet; 3 storeys
http://www.journalofcommerce.com/cgi...egion=prairies

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 3:34 PM

PARK REDEVELOPMENT Proj: 9170303-4
Winnipeg, Division No 11 MB PREPARING PLANS
Assiniboine Park, 2355 Corydon Ave, Roblin Blvd
$10,000,000 est
Note: Arch has completed a schematic design report that has been forwarded to the owner. The owner will identify funding needs based on the report. Owner is seeking provincial and federal funding approvals. Further project schedules will be determined pending funding.
Construction of the entrance gate formerly followed with this report is followed under report number 9173673.
Project: construction of development of major walkways linking key attractions and areas, while emphasizing pedestrian routes. The project includes construction of public and service buildings and displays through the path system. It will be easy to move from the parking lot to footpaths, which will be landscaped with trees, shrubs, and flowers in keeping with the Park's overall appearance. The existing network of pedestrian and cyclist pathways, trails, and monkey trails will be enhanced and throughout the path system there will be dedicated areas for entertainment, casual buskers, food services, and displays. The project will include construction of enhanced parking, with a greater number of parking spots located closer to the exhibits.
Development: Engineering

http://www.journalofcommerce.com/cgi...egion=prairies

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 1:31 AM
surely you agree with me

A great video of the family centre.

https://vimeo.com/76465380

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 2:12 AM

Family centre is pretty nice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan