HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 2:39 AM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Minnesota
How is that possible considering Winnipeg is over 700 KM's from Minneapolis/St. Paul?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 3:34 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

fargo/moorhead might be why

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 3:41 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
fargo/moorhead might be why

But Fargo/Moorhead doesn't have an NHL team.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 4:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
if we had local team here and they played in mini they would get flooded by pegers and thus would spend money there shoping also.. thus a win win
I'm sorry you were too young to remember the Jet's, but when the Jet's played in the cities when they had the North Stars few if any traveled down to see the Jet's play there.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 2:41 PM

i'd say minimum upper deck prices would be $50 and go up form there.

people pay $70 for a real decent ticket to see AHL MOOSE and that blows me away. for the NHL that same seat will be probably $200 a ticket. but those are typically corp tickets.

I wouldn't pay $20 to see the Moose.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 2:57 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i'd say minimum upper deck prices would be $50 and go up form there.

people pay $70 for a real decent ticket to see AHL MOOSE and that blows me away. for the NHL that same seat will be probably $200 a ticket. but those are typically corp tickets.
Agreed. The ticket range for an NHL team in the MTS Centre would be from $40-250/seat.

The third level would be the only $40 seats (with the exception of the front 2-3 rows which would be more expensive).

The second level would be between $50-120/seat.

And the lower bowl would be in the $120-250 range.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 4:04 PM

quick story...

co-worker was in Vegas last week eating at a Brazilian BBQ restaurant. Got chatting with the waiter, he asked where they were from they answered "Canada, well actually Winnipeg but you probably never heard of it". Oh yeah, the Winnipeg Jets! too bad they ever left. he was from Boston area and remembers seeing them play on tv.

there's many things that help put a city on a map and like it or not, poro-sports is one of them.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 4:40 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Minnesota
I don't think people in Winnipeg care about the Wild.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 6:53 PM

Quote:
people pay $70 for a real decent ticket to see AHL MOOSE and that blows me away.
while i agree that NHL tickets would be too expensive to maintain a team, i should point out that you can buy very good tickets to see the moose for $40.

edit: the most expensive seats other than club seating go for $40.50 and the cheapest seats in the lower bowl are $22.50. the most expensive seats for a exhibition NHL game are $120.00 source: tickmaster.ca and moosehockey.com

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 12:43 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead35 View Post
while i agree that NHL tickets would be too expensive to maintain a team

"Winnipeg has a rink that seats 15,100 for hockey. If Winnipeg could average 14,500 fans per game at an average ticket price of $49, the team would average $710,500 per game in ticket revenue."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...-4888520c.html

An average ticket price of $49 isn't bad. If it's too "expensive" for you, stay home and listen to the game on the radio or watch it on TV.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJets View Post
"Winnipeg has a rink that seats 15,100 for hockey. If Winnipeg could average 14,500 fans per game at an average ticket price of $49, the team would average $710,500 per game in ticket revenue."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...-4888520c.html

An average ticket price of $49 isn't bad. If it's too "expensive" for you, stay home and listen to the game on the radio or watch it on TV.
to make NHL successful, 49 will be minimum ticket price and I WILL pay this for 10 games or so a year. thats a 1000 for 2 tickets, which I can fit into my budget.

there's lots of people here to support it and it'll get the 15000 per night, 45 nights a year, but where the $ is made is sponserships. the rinkside advertising, concourse advertising, the luxury boxes, etc, that is where the $ is made and that is where the $ needs to come from the local companies.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 6:33 PM
The Loyal Opposition

NHL aside, I'd rather Winnipeg have a WHL (junior) team, than the AHL team. Ever see a Wheat Kings game? Much more exciting than the Moose.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 6:37 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
quick story...

co-worker was in Vegas last week eating at a Brazilian BBQ restaurant. Got chatting with the waiter, he asked where they were from they answered "Canada, well actually Winnipeg but you probably never heard of it". Oh yeah, the Winnipeg Jets! too bad they ever left. he was from Boston area and remembers seeing them play on tv.

there's many things that help put a city on a map and like it or not, poro-sports is one of them.
Funny you should say that, I have a similar Brazil-based story. When I was in NYC back in May, I was drinking at some little lounge. Anyway, was chatting with the waitress, a real sexy Brazilian chick. She got all excited as she knew where Winnipeg was, because of the Pan-Am Games that she closely follows (that said, her excitement over Winnipeg didn't help me in my effort to convince her to come back to my hotel room for a glass of wine, unfortunately).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 6:58 PM

I was hoping to go for a road trip last weekend to catch a Wheatkings game. Being a western canadian league, I would feel that we would tend to have more interesting rivalries in the WHL. Brandon was however, playing Seattle I think...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 9:00 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
NHL aside, I'd rather Winnipeg have a WHL (junior) team, than the AHL team. Ever see a Wheat Kings game? Much more exciting than the Moose.
My thoughts exactly. The WHL is a much better caliber game than the AHL.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 11:40 PM

Taking a simplified look at it, even selling 15000 tickets over 41 regular season home games at $49 would only bring in CAD $30mil from ticket sales. For comparison, the lowest NHL payroll this year is the LA Kings at $45mil USD. With todays exchange rate you'd still have to find another CAD $24mil (corp, ads, etc) just to break even on player salaries.

http://nhlnumbers.com/compare.php?season=0809

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:09 AM
Capitalist

Quote:

Where are you sitting ... $70 for a Moose game ticket ?? I have been to many Moose games .. sitting the the 100 level inside the bluelines, for alot less than $70.

Even the Club Seats are less than $50.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:18 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgcityone View Post
Taking a simplified look at it, even selling 15000 tickets over 41 regular season home games at $49 would only bring in CAD $30mil from ticket sales. For comparison, the lowest NHL payroll this year is the LA Kings at $45mil USD. With todays exchange rate you'd still have to find another CAD $24mil (corp, ads, etc) just to break even on player salaries.

http://nhlnumbers.com/compare.php?season=0809
NHL tickets cost alot more than $50 ....

I went to a Flames game recently ... (Upper Red Zone).. and tickets were priced well over $100. Luckly I know people.

The 100 Level seats are ALOT more than that ... and the luxury boxes go for BIG cash.

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...bcid=tic_seats

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
(that said, her excitement over Winnipeg didn't help me in my effort to convince her to come back to my hotel room for a glass of wine, unfortunately).
haha, next time dude.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 10:20 PM
Source?

Just saw this on TSN, cant be good news for Winnipeg's hopes

HABS BOSS SAYS WEAK DOLLAR THREATENS CANADIAN CLUBS

MONTREAL - Montreal Canadiens president Pierre Boivin fears that the sagging loonie could send Canadian NHL teams spiralling back into the dark economic days that preceded the lockout.

Boivin says the league's six Canadian clubs are thriving at the gate and bring in more than a third of the total revenue for the 30-team NHL.

But he identified the tumbling dollar as one of three threats to the continued viability of Canadian clubs.

He also says the NHL's post-lockout revenue-sharing deal to prop up weaker U.S. teams has also left Canadian organizations at the mercy of the dollar's performance.

The Habs' president says Canadian teams each lost tens of millions of dollars in the years before the NHL lockout, a period when they had difficulty piecing together competitive squads.

The NHL lost the 2004-05 season to a labour dispute before the players and owners signed a new collective bargaining agreement, which included a salary cap.

Boivin says the three-year-old salary cap is a better system but it still has aspects that are ''not working well.''

He says he doubts the players and owners will sit down at the negotiating table for about two years, just before the existing agreement expires.

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan