HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 7:56 AM
On Guard For Thee

Interesting shots--for the Canadians posting here (or anyone familiar with the CBC)--Rosberg's--the abandoned department store on Queen Street in NF is significant is was owned by the parents of famed CBC journalist Barbara Frum (nee Rosberg)--I believe it lasted into the early 80s before closing.

This area of Niagara Falls has been unloved for many years--it once thrived--in fact Marilyn Monroe shopped on the street during filming of Niagara! in the 50s. Alas, it shares a distinction with Brantford.

Do you really find Wallaceburg and Sarnia that bad? Sarnia has improved--has some great condo developments going on--and Wallaceburg isn't bad at all if you ignore one or two vacant spots.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 12:45 PM

Downtown Sarnia is no longer that bad, actually it looks decent, but just a few years ago it was in dire straits. Definitely not in NF/Brantford's company anymore as I discovered on a recent visit. Wallaceburg, well there's almost nothing left from when I was young, not just downtown, but across the entire town.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 2:31 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Wow. I thought Hamilton had it bad... damn.
At least they have a via station, that's more than Hamilton's got.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 5:13 AM

Very interesting!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 4:06 PM
Kodachrome

Well done flar... the weather sure takes a toll on the bridges.

That last shot makes me go WOW

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 5:02 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Wow, totally not what I expected, but damn man you make grit look good.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 5:22 AM

Definitely not the Niagara Falls I've seen on postcards Nice job!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 10:11 PM
Go Chiefs!

Just just need to watch the last picture to forget about the old buildings.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 12:36 AM
Motor City Mountaineer

wow! never been to that part of Niagara!
at least it's historic...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 1:07 AM

Great journal. I had no idea the Canadian side had that type of decay. It looks like most of the area needing a lift is the commercial areas. Your pictures of most of the homes looked like they were in better shape.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 3:41 AM

I was born and raised in Niagara Falls. Thankfully, there have been many changes on Queen St since these photos.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 10:21 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Photographs don't lie... but they certainly can mislead. I saw a photo tour of of downtown Brantford on this forum a few years back... it was very dilapidated so I figured that Brantford must be a depressed city down on its luck in a major way. In fact, when I visited Brantford shortly thereafter, the city was growing nicely and had the air of vitality.... exactly the opposite of what the photos led me to think. I went downtown and laughed because although it was very run down it was only a tiny area. It couldn't have comprised anymore than 1 % of the entire city.

When we only can see a set of photos of one area in a city, we have absolutely no perspective of what is really going on in that city as a whole. I feel the same is true with this photo tour of Niagara Falls, ON. I have visited many times... and have never been able to even locate the "real" downtown. No wonder people don't shop there... it's a terrible location, and unless you really know the city... good luck trying to find it!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
Photographs don't lie... but they certainly can mislead. I saw a photo tour of of downtown Brantford on this forum a few years back... it was very dilapidated so I figured that Brantford must be a depressed city down on its luck in a major way. In fact, when I visited Brantford shortly thereafter, the city was growing nicely and had the air of vitality.... exactly the opposite of what the photos led me to think. I went downtown and laughed because although it was very run down it was only a tiny area. It couldn't have comprised anymore than 1 % of the entire city.

When we only can see a set of photos of one area in a city, we have absolutely no perspective of what is really going on in that city as a whole. I feel the same is true with this photo tour of Niagara Falls, ON. I have visited many times... and have never been able to even locate the "real" downtown. No wonder people don't shop there... it's a terrible location, and unless you really know the city... good luck trying to find it!
I don't think this tour is misleading, if you were to visit downtown Niagara Falls tomorrow, this is exactly what you would see (if you can find it, it really is tucked away). Virtually every building in downtown Niagara Falls is featured in this tour. That was probably my tour of Brantford that you saw as well. That tour also shows nearly every building in downtown Brantford. Unfortunately, downtown Brantford has little vitality and is largely unloved by its citizens. All my photo tours are comprehensive. I will say unequivocally that Niagara Falls and Brantford have the most decayed and abandoned downtowns that I have ever seen in Canada.

That is no comment on theses cities as a whole, just their downtowns. Brantford has a thriving power center in its north end and Niagara Falls has a thriving tourist area at Fallsview and Clifton Hill, but their downtowns really are that bad. I sincerely hope that both cities can turn things around in their downtown cores.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 12:28 AM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I don't think this tour is misleading, if you were to visit downtown Niagara Falls tomorrow, this is exactly what you would see (if you can find it, it really is tucked away). Virtually every building in downtown Niagara Falls is featured in this tour. That was probably my tour of Brantford that you saw as well. That tour also shows nearly every building in downtown Brantford. Unfortunately, downtown Brantford has little vitality and is largely unloved by its citizens. All my photo tours are comprehensive. I will say unequivocally that Niagara Falls and Brantford have the most decayed and abandoned downtowns that I have ever seen in Canada.

That is no comment on theses cities as a whole, just their downtowns. Brantford has a thriving power center in its north end and Niagara Falls has a thriving tourist area at Fallsview and Clifton Hill, but their downtowns really are that bad. I sincerely hope that both cities can turn things around in their downtown cores.
With comments such as "I never knew Niagara Falls, ON was as bad as Niagara Falls, NY" as a result of seeing this thread titled "The REAL Niagara Falls", it obviously is extremely misleading. Even though downtown NF, ON is very depressed, Niagara Falls, ON is nowhere near as dilapidated as its counterpart in NY. After checking Google Earth, I would estimate the what you have called "the REAL Niagara Falls" actually comprises no more than about 3% (in area) of the city of Niagara Falls, ON... I just wanted to put things in perspective here.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:57 AM

It's been a few years, but I was there in October and I stayed in a completely different part of Niagara Falls from downtown or Clifton Hill and I can vouch that it all looks like that. A single company owns most of Clifton Hill and spent a large, undisclosed sum of money to keep Clifton Hill looking fresh but as nearby as Lundy's Lane is not only seedy, a lot of it is abandoned. Someone put together a four minute documentary showing that all of Niagara Falls, ON looks like that.

To put this in perspective, my husband and I were waiting for the bus by the farmer's market and half the buildings (though clearly built for tourism and blocks away from Clifton Hill) were in disrepair and the only business we saw that looked profitable was a nightclub. We also saw two houses and three developments abandoned within three blocks of the high rise hotels in front of the falls.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 8:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Has there been any improvement in downtown NF? It was extremely decrepit when I last visited in 2009.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Has there been any improvement in downtown NF? It was extremely decrepit when I last visited in 2009.
I would say yes, here is streetview from Nov 2020, in the middle of the pandemic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1066...7i16384!8i8192

I don't think any city the golden horseshoe can stay blighted for long in the current environment.
GO service started up in 2021 which now ties Downtown NF to Toronto so it's only a matter a time until Downtown NF is full revitalized.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
I would say yes, here is streetview from Nov 2020, in the middle of the pandemic.

I don't think any city the golden horseshoe can stay blighted for long in the current environment.
GO service started up in 2021 which now ties Downtown NF to Toronto so it's only a matter a time until Downtown NF is full revitalized.
Wow, it looks much better!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 1:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:39 PM

With Toronto real estate out of control, I'm surprised that Niagara Falls Ontario hasn't seen much of a renaissance. One hour twenty minutes isn't that bad of a commute if you only have to make it occasionally.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos