HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 8:20 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX-DUDE-MAN View Post
Does anyone know the height of the Pier Tower? 300 feet? 280 feet?
283'. Will be tied for 2nd/3rd tallest towers in Tempe.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 6:21 PM

A few updates:

250 Rio was approved at City Council last night. Lincoln Southbank was continued to the September 8th meeting for approval. Could see more cranes in the sky soon!

The Dewitt: Will be voted on at DRB on 8/23. Nice looking building for the area. See package below.
https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocum...62394503018567

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 5:09 PM

New mixed-use development submitted for PSP review at 7th ave & College (old book store)

Another project located at 1031 E Apache Blvd called "The Marshall at Tempe Proposed mixed-use residential building (student housing) with approximately 330 dwelling units (796 bedrooms) with approximately 3,600 square feet of ground floor retail space."
Is this the Motel 6 property or the hotel across the street? They would need height on either lot to get that many units..

Also heard from a source that the surface parking lot at 5th Ave & Ash (across from tempe Depot is planned as two-tower hotel & MF development with ground floor retail. Plans will be submitted later this year. Pretty exciting stuff happening!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
New mixed-use development submitted for PSP review at 7th ave & College (old book store)
Tempe is growing up substantially... sad to see things like these old buildings go even if single story 60's? style retail strip buildings in this area are not long for the world (even if the old book store building has a decent pedestrian/street feel and is cool looking).

I have very fond memories of my time at ASU and this strip of buildings in particular. The book store, there was a sandwich shop (can't remember the name - it pre-dated the Subway), and of course the little grocery store (Campus Corner) where we'd go after leaving Sun Devil Stadium at halftime, grab a case of beer, and then head back in to the stadium.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Tempe is growing up substantially... sad to see things like these old buildings go even if single story 60's? style retail strip buildings in this area are not long for the world (even if the old book store building has a decent pedestrian/street feel and is cool looking).

I have very fond memories of my time at ASU and this strip of buildings in particular. The book store, there was a sandwich shop (can't remember the name - it pre-dated the Subway), and of course the little grocery store (Campus Corner) where we'd go after leaving Sun Devil Stadium at halftime, grab a case of beer, and then head back in to the stadium.
Yes at the risk of sounding like an old fuddy there was a lived in grittiness to a lot of these old tiny shops, AsU is very modern and sanitized now.

In the aggregate its better but there is something about those old dingy crapy buildings that give college a certain aesthetic.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Yes at the risk of sounding like an old fuddy there was a lived in grittiness to a lot of these old tiny shops, AsU is very modern and sanitized now.

In the aggregate its better but there is something about those old dingy crapy buildings that give college a certain aesthetic.
Yes, exactly. I'm rarely in Tempe anymore but I imagine there is almost zero of these types of establishments or individual buildings left. Tempe's previous "college town" feel it used to have is probably mostly long gone.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 9:04 PM

Quote:

Another project located at 1031 E Apache Blvd called "The Marshall at Tempe Proposed mixed-use residential building (student housing) with approximately 330 dwelling units (796 bedrooms) with approximately 3,600 square feet of ground floor retail space."
Is this the Motel 6 property or the hotel across the street? They would need height on either lot to get that many units..

Also heard from a source that the surface parking lot at 5th Ave & Ash (across from tempe Depot is planned as two-tower hotel & MF development with ground floor retail. Plans will be submitted later this year. Pretty exciting stuff happening!
That address (1031 E. Apache) is for the Sleep Inn and Suites, so across the street from Motel 6.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post

College Street Deli, I went there a lot in the late 80's/early 90's

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 11:02 PM

The JRC is meeting to discuss a new multifamily proposal from Oakland capital for the Novus 3A (Rural & 6th) site on Sept. 7th. Hopefully get some renderings!

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showpubli...68600294516718

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing that building go. I could be wrong but I don't think anything is currently in there and the back half of Atmosphere does look a little awkward like they were expecting something with a little bit of height to go behind it so hopefully that is what ends up happening. Would also be nice to see decently sized buildings go all the way down from Mill to College on 7th, the only empty spots on the south side being next to the Westin and Atmosphere.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
College Street Deli, I went there a lot in the late 80's/early 90's
Yes! Thank you. That should have been easy to remember. I was at ASU starting in 1997, right at the tail end of what I am imagining is the Tempe/ASU college town height ending in the mid-90s. You were there at the best time and probably have some great memories of various establishments.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 1:48 PM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 2:31 PM

Well the dev boom in Tempe was nice. Now it looks like people are trying to ruin it for south pier and all future developments…

https://azbex.com/legislation-issues...r-development/

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 2:44 PM

Pier

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Well the dev boom in Tempe was nice. Now it looks like people are trying to ruin it for south pier and all future developments…

https://azbex.com/legislation-issues...r-development/
Yes and it sounds like the developer is giving much more then the city is asking for donating to affordable housing. The logic of the the complainers is difficult to grasp.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 4:51 PM
Skyriser

South Pier should be paying the city for lake maintenance, not getting subsidized. They also picked a smalltime no-name developer that basically doesn't have the skills to pull this off, but that's another story.

They should have sold the land at auction and let developers come up with their own product, or just waited until the market wanted to build towers there, maybe helped along with a streetcar extension.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
South Pier should be paying the city for lake maintenance, not getting subsidized. They also picked a smalltime no-name developer that basically doesn't have the skills to pull this off, but that's another story.

They should have sold the land at auction and let developers come up with their own product, or just waited until the market wanted to build towers there, maybe helped along with a streetcar extension.
Or even wait for another corporate relocation (as rare as I am sure they will become) like State Farm to anchor a campus like development like Marina Heights...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 4:38 AM

https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/202...antially-built

Well, I can’t believe the Culdesac is coming alive. The link shows a video of how it’s coming along along with some new renderings.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 1:42 PM

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 1:51 PM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:53 PM

Tempe Joint Review Committee

Does anyone have any updates on the JRC September meeting? The following was supposed to be discussed yesterday but have not seen any meeting minutes posted up yet:
  • Proposed Development on Parcel 3A – Presenters Manjula Vaz, Gammage and Burnham PLC and Blake Bunker, OAKLAND Capital.
I have a feeling the development may be a high-end boutique hotel as one of the other agenda items on the docket was to approve following text amendment "This proposed change will add 40 hotel keys to the overall allowable hotel keys in the University and Rural Mixed-Use sub-district from 425 keys to 465 keys"

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Sep 8, 2022 at 8:20 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest