HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 3:02 AM

I would have taken a picture, but sharing images here is a pain. Good news is the Opus appeared to be underway and under construction.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
I would have taken a picture, but sharing images here is a pain. Good news is the Opus appeared to be underway and under construction.
What are you seeing there? Are you seeing some height built? I've tried contacting the Opus developer as well as the city to see if the plans have changed in the past 3 years from the original 13-story structure, but no one is responding. All I can find is a letter from a construction crew confirming the parcels are PAD 33 zoned and that letter was in June '22. So its an odd document. Makes me think all new people are involved. And The Opus Group still doesn't have this building listed on their website as under development.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
What are you seeing there? Are you seeing some height built? I've tried contacting the Opus developer as well as the city to see if the plans have changed in the past 3 years from the original 13-story structure, but no one is responding. All I can find is a letter from a construction crew confirming the parcels are PAD 33 zoned and that letter was in June '22. So its an odd document. Makes me think all new people are involved. And The Opus Group still doesn't have this building listed on their website as under development.
I saw this construction site this weekend as well. The signs do say "Opus" on them. I was surprised, as I thought this development was stuck in limbo. It will be welcomed density if the plans are the same as previously submitted

EDIT: - Looks like the issued permit for the site (May 22) states the building will be 13 stories

Last edited by crzyabe; Jul 5, 2022 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
I saw this construction site this weekend as well. The signs do say "Opus" on them. I was surprised, as I thought this development was stuck in limbo. It will be welcomed density if the plans are the same as previously submitted

EDIT: - Looks like the issued permit for the site (May 22) states the building will be 13 stories
Where are you finding these May 22nd permits. All I find are the June 22 PAD letter.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 9:32 AM

There’s a Zoning Letter, dated June 16th, 2022, that refers to the project as a “redevelopment proposal for a 13-story mixed use development…”

A bit of Permit activity going on recently.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 9:25 PM

Baffert and Ugly but Honest site

Decided to take a few pics recently

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 9:27 PM

Some activity on the Opus site on 4th Ave

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 10:02 PM

Icymi

Progress on the Downtown Links connection from Aviation/Broadway to Stone and finally to I-10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb3B3_gO5w8

PCC's downtown campus new Advanced Manufacturing building fly-through

https://tucson.com/business/watch-no...ter_TucsonStar

Also completed is their new Automotive center downtown and Aviation campus

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 11:51 PM

can someone here summarize what this Opus project is?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
can someone here summarize what this Opus project is?
This is a good link to the project as proposed back in 2019. I cant seem to get confirmation on what is happening down there now is this exact same project with the same permimeters.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/..._2019_10_8.pdf

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 8:54 PM

thanks for providing that. i usually like Opus projects but this looks pretty uninviting in those renderings. very government/institutional in aesthetic. maybe the final product will be a bit more lively. anything with some height and massing in Tucson is a good thing though.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
This is a good link to the project as proposed back in 2019. I cant seem to get confirmation on what is happening down there now is this exact same project with the same permimeters.
I found this description from Opus on Linkedin:
Quote:
Opus Tucson is a mixed-use Project located on the 4th Avenue Culinary Corridor in Downtown Tucson, AZ. Opus Tucson will feature 323 multifamily units and 4,971 square feet of retail space within one 13-story concrete and steel building. There will be a total of 261 garage parking spaces, giving the Project a ratio of 0.71 parking stalls per unit. The Project will offer a unit mix of studios, one-bed units, two-bed units, three-bed units, and four-bed units at a weighted average unit size of 900 SF. The Project will have street frontage on the south end of the corridor and will feature a rooftop amenity lounge and pool that fronts the 4th Ave Corridor.
With four bedrooms they have to be going after the student crowd in some form.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
thanks for providing that. i usually like Opus projects but this looks pretty uninviting in those renderings. very government/institutional in aesthetic. maybe the final product will be a bit more lively. anything with some height and massing in Tucson is a good thing though.
Agreed. Hopefully the final product will look better than the initial renderings. This is nice height, but looks almost too massive - as you said very institutional. It seems that it needs something to break up the facade - bigger windows, more balconies, more color, more texture (maybe some brick?), something.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 2:30 AM

Houghton Masterplan

So a while back I saw a master plan for development along houghton from Valencia north to Irvington. I can’t find it through my typical searches. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
I found this description from Opus on Linkedin:

With four bedrooms they have to be going after the student crowd in some form.
Couldn't find that LinkedIn description of it...but what you cited is almost exactly the specs of the original 2019 project link above. I guess they consider this huge thing all "one" building. I'm ok with it. At least we're building and creating housing. But I believe its still aimed at market-rate apts. Not student housing.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthom3000 View Post
So a while back I saw a master plan for development along houghton from Valencia north to Irvington. I can’t find it through my typical searches. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
It was/is called Saguaro Trails and is basically a home development of mostly Mattamy homes and I think some other home builders might be adding into it. It's been in development for awhile. The whole region is growing rapidly with the widening of Houghton and TMC has built a hospital there at Drexel. There are also thoughts of extending Harrison Rd from Irvington to Valencia too right along the Harrison Greenway bike path.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/...oad_Ward_4.pdf

Last edited by AZ71; Jul 25, 2022 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 4:39 PM

I was only able to listen to some parts of the RN meeting yesterday 7/26 so I think I got a couple of the more significant news to share.

-Shot in the dark vacant space is being proposed into a multi-faucet business plan that includes a gift and flora shop, meeting space, and marketing firm space.

- The Bautista on the West side is going to start construction! They expect to break ground in the next 30 days. It will be a $100M+ apartment, retail, restaurant project that will include riverbank enhancements along the Santa Cruz River.

(Images are from previous meetings with the city and RN)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 1:14 AM

RN board meeting today:

- Spoke briefly on Empire Pizza and Pub but decided to wait until next month to give more details regarding the expansion in the former space Hydra occupied. They say the owners are currently working with architects.

- They have $100k (was $500K) reserved for HBO just in case they decide to film in Tucson again but waiting on HBO to officially give notice which they haven't heard anything. They apparently still have things in warehouse here. ICYMI, HBO series called Duster was filmed in Tucson from Sep-Nov 2021 but ultimately moved to New Mexico.

-Batch on congress is currently expanding into it's basement and will add a bar. They also want to add a bottle shop next door which is currently occupied by MEB.

-RN is hiring Crown Castle to add 5G/6G network capabilities to the TCC. According to RN, Crown Castle is a $90B company specializing in communication infrastructure.

-Side note: L offices which occupy the 2nd floor of the old Chicago Music store, hosts dozens of small businesses as pop up shops that haven't decided to move into their own space but want a small space to test the waters. So if you are thinking about your own small business ideas, contact them!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 4:28 PM

https://www.opus-group.com/Work/Tucs...nue-Apartments

The Opus page on the 13-story 4th Ave. project…June 2024 completion date.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 11:41 AM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
https://www.opus-group.com/Work/Tucs...nue-Apartments

The Opus page on the 13-story 4th Ave. project…June 2024 completion date.
This building looks bland. Considering it is right on 4th Ave, I would have liked some more color at least a different color trim. Nice to see height right at the entrance to 4th ave but dang this is so bland. I look at other buildings like Union on 6th and District on 5th and they have some color to stand out and then you look at the shops and see vibrant and uniqueness that makes 4th ave popular, that is what draws people to that area (that and the crazy drugged out folks wandering the streets).

I hope at the least, the retail area will be fixed up some because as of now, this looks nothing special.

NOTE - I understand this is a rendering and it could change, but this is a primo spot so IMO this shouldn't be some underwhelming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest