HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I predict that Don Iveson will become the next Liberal leader of Alberta. The next Mayor may be either Andrew Knack or Mike Nickel, depending on how angry the voters are. I hear Amarjeet Sohi may consider tossing his hat into the ring.
I see federal Liberal MP as more likely.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:27 PM
Community Guy

I would agree with that as well, but it would mean a lot of split time away from family again, versus being in Edmonton.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:54 PM

Iveson being the leader of the Liberal party is a very bad idea. People in Calgary will never vote for him as the ex-mayor of Edmonton. In Edmonton he will split the vote and the UCP will win again.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 8:05 PM

Curious to hear people's opinion on Iveson. Do you think he was an effective Mayor? Moved Edmonton forward? Good and bad policies/decisions/projects? How do you feel about him not running again at the Municipal level and whether you would support him at the Provincial and/or Federal level?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 11:09 PM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 7:57 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
Amarjeet Sohi would make a great mayor.
Curious as to why he is perceived as a potentially great mayor. I don't know much about him other than his time as an MP in which he was very underwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
Iveson being the leader of the Liberal party is a very bad idea. People in Calgary will never vote for him as the ex-mayor of Edmonton. In Edmonton he will split the vote and the UCP will win again.
Not sure that is the case. Calgary likely would not vote for him under the 'Liberal' brand but the fact he is from Edmonton is irrelevant.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Curious as to why he is perceived as a potentially great mayor. I don't know much about him other than his time as an MP in which he was very underwhelming.

Not sure that is the case. Calgary likely would not vote for him under the 'Liberal' brand but the fact he is from Edmonton is irrelevant.
I lived there for nine years and I can assure you the amount of spite, animosity and pure loathing for Edmonton is palatable. Just mention you are from Edmonton and almost every individual seems obligated or compelled to make some demeaning comment.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 8:45 PM

Quote:
I lived there for nine years and I can assure you the amount of spite, animosity and pure loathing for Edmonton is palatable. Just mention you are from Edmonton and almost every individual seems obligated or compelled to make some demeaning comment.
Not to veer off topic, but exact same experience when I lived there. I didn't get it. So unnecessarily rude. From complete strangers as well. And this wasn't a few off times, this was the majority of people. It wasn't folksy teasing either, it was mocking and impolite.

I even recall during Calgary's arena debate opinion points being made about how Calgary was "behind" Edmonton on that front. It was used as some offhand justification for the project. bizarre

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
Not to veer off topic, but exact same experience when I lived there. I didn't get it. So unnecessarily rude. From complete strangers as well. And this wasn't a few off times, this was the majority of people. It wasn't folksy teasing either, it was mocking and impolite.

I even recall during Calgary's arena debate opinion points being made about how Calgary was "behind" Edmonton on that front. It was used as some offhand justification for the project. bizarre
In my opinion Calgary lacks an identity, a soul. They define themselves entirely based on 'not being Edmonton', and hate us for being necessary because of it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post

He was also an Edmonton Councilor. until 2018.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 10:47 PM

Sohi was a City Councillor from 2007 to 2015, then an MP from 2015 to 2019.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Iveson announced on Twitter this morning he was not running.
As an outsider, I got the impression that Iveson was in over his head, a lightweight that didn't have the drive required to push the city forward.

And frankly, any politician that let the downtown library redevelopment happen during their watch should have a kick-me sign on their backside as they're leaving the building.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 7:26 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Interesting. I have lived in Calgary > 20 years, moving here from Edmonton. I don't feel that vibe at all and never have.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 11:08 PM
Community Guy

Many, many friends moved to Calgary after Uni and they/their friends still hold this true.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
As an outsider, I got the impression that Iveson was in over his head, a lightweight that didn't have the drive required to push the city forward.

And frankly, any politician that let the downtown library redevelopment happen during their watch should have a kick-me sign on their backside as they're leaving the building.
Hah love how you said Iveson did nothing, but then mentioned the brand new library.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post

Maybe it's a generational thing on seeing what he did as mayor.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:42 AM

I am under the impression that Don Iveson did less for Edmonton in 4 years than Stephen Mandel did in one. On the Metro Line fiasco, Iveson had some big words words about it, but let administration to continue to fubar the whole debacle. If the library was approved under his watch, he didn't do anything to make sure architectural standards would be maintained. The only thing I can remember from Don Iveson is bike lanes.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Maybe it's a generational thing on seeing what he did as mayor.
Can you be more specific? Unfortunately, I don't follow you.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:48 AM

I got the impression Iveson was just to cosy with administration just to willing to side with them and not the constituents. His comment about Edmontonions penchant for complaining is our favourite pastime in regards to the library was very telling.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:34 PM
Community Guy

Don did a lot of good work on homelessness and with the Federation of Canadian Municipalities/Big City Mayors who want expanded rights and decision making abilities with regards to other funding and direction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton