HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 10:22 PM
Babylon falling

Which tropical city should I move to?

I have decided that I am seriously looking for a change of location and would like to move to a place that is tropical with hills and mountains close by preferably outside the US. Getting a job is not an issue because the work I do as a consultant can be done from anywhere. I have always been curious about Latin American cities. Here are the places I've been thinking about.

Honolulu: I know it is still the US but not the same obviously. Has all the modern convenience like a Whole Foods etc. Weather isn't too hot and humid like Miami for example. Tons of beaches and hilly, mountainous terrain close by. English speaking is also nice. Negatives -- possible island fever, too touristy.

Medellin: Gorgeous women, perfect weather at 5000 feet highs of 78 to 84 year round with low humidity and lows of 65 to 70, can't beat that! Great mountain scenery all around but no Ocean.... Seems to be pretty cosmopolitan and I have read in multiple sources it has had and continues to get more high rise construction than Bogota. Negatives -- have to learn Spanish but I know the basics and can pronounce words properly.

Santo Domingo: Possibly a bit too run down and not enough new development, obviously you will get the beaches and women here. Very hot and humid weather though for most of the year.

San Juan: From Dec, through March weather is more mild due to it not being that far south like Santo Domingo. Has the history and many interesting neighborhoods. (Economy seems dead in SJ though I want a city that is on the up swing if possible).

Brazilian Cities (Trantor Please Help) -- I really don't like the extreme wealth disparity of Rio and Sao Paolo. SP doesn't really have coast or mountain close or at least not accessible. I am open to considering the North (Salvador, Natal, Recife, Fortaleza) Maybe Florianopolis does not have so much poverty. Would love to hear comparisons between Brazilian cities and Medellin for example.

Negatives of Brazil: Possibly the crime issue and Portuguese seems like it would be much harder to learn than Spanish. I've also heard that if you live in Brazil for a long time the food is not that good and variety isn't the best.

Would really appreciate your input on these places and any other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by mello; Jan 27, 2013 at 1:35 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions