HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
What an absolutely hideous and awkward structure in every way

What the f*ck are they thinking?
They are thinking of maximizing the floor area ratio to provide them with the most monetary benefit. And I'll decide how I feel about it when we get renderings of the cladding, as that can change the feeling of a building immensely.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 11:26 PM
BANNED

I’d gladly take a simple glass box over this insane design. Even Kaufman must be appalled.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:42 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Aside from the hideous butter-churn design (is Extell going Amish?), I don't get what this offers over anything else from an observation deck point of view. There are a number of higher decks around town. If this was 1500' or more, that would be different. It's basically an observation tower that's far too short and has no aesthetics. Kind of like what Calgary Tower has become (although Calgary Tower at least looks decent). Why on earth would you build (what is essentially) a glorified observation tower dwarfed by (eventually) a dozen other buildings, a good percentage of which have higher public observation decks?
With observation decks, it’s not always about the height. Top of the Rock observation deck remains the best overall view as far as the skyline goes, despite being lower than the other major decks in town. The Chrysler deck would be even lower than that. The deck here would be more along the lines of the Empire State and Vanderbilt, but centered over Times Square, the brightest, and most heavily tourists trafficed area in town. Some people only come to town for a day or two, sometimes just to see a show (this I know), with not a lot of time for much else. This is a very convenient location.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
With observation decks, it’s not always about the height. Top of the Rock observation deck remains the best overall view as far as the skyline goes, despite being lower than the other major decks in town. The Chrysler deck would be even lower than that. The deck here would be more along the lines of the Empire State and Vanderbilt, but centered over Times Square, the brightest, and most heavily tourists trafficed area in town. Some people only come to town for a day or two, sometimes just to see a show (this I know), with not a lot of time for much else. This is a very convenient location.
Yup. Chrysler will have great "town" views, not so much skyline views. You'll be able to see ofc the Chrysler up close, but also Grant Central (not for long tho) 1 Vandy, eventually 175, I think you can see UN park from here, as well as a host of other buildings and city life.
Yeah this deck will have one of the most convenient spots in the city, especially for big events like the Ball Drop, etc. "The Brightest" by far man, just look a photo of NY at night and Times Square is like a freaking star in the middle of the city.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:00 PM

as long as it's not bright red as alluded to in the early plans i don't see a problem.

rather this than another boring blue glass block or value engineered from a once promising design.

the city

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
as long as it's not bright red as alluded to in the early plans i don't see a problem.

rather this than another boring blue glass block or value engineered from a once promising design.

the city
New York builds unparalleled quality (Verre, Steinway, 1 Vanderbilt, JPMC, 175 Park, etc.). This belongs in the typical American city — not in NY.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
New York builds unparalleled quality (Verre, Steinway, 1 Vanderbilt, JPMC, 175 Park, etc.). This belongs in the typical American city — not in NY.
Sorry, but this junk belongs NOWHERE!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 10:47 PM

We have not seen a single rendering. This could be the coolest observation deck experience in the city. Tourists are going to love it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

To add to that, its also Extell. Maybe Gary has something good up his sleeves. IDK if Extell would tarnish its reputation so as the details come by, it could be something very worthwhile.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
We have not seen a single rendering. This could be the coolest observation deck experience in the city. Tourists are going to love it.
These schematics are usually pretty accurate.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 3:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Went by the site a couple of days ago, and the market is still operational, the parking lot in business. So there is still some time before excavation begins.

But I have been thinking about this tower, it's place on the skyline, and what it means. As proposed, it's basically a tourist attraction with a hotel component, (or vice versa). The image of New York is basically synonymous with skyscrapers. So I think it's fitting that some of these towers are open for public experience.

Extell has not released any renderings or details about this planned observation tower, other than the graphics we've seen from the DOB. It seems odd in form, but the 2 newest observation decks in the city stand out as well, though one more than the other. The question is, what's in store for this deck? We'll have to wait and see. Hopefully we'll know more sooner.

MARCH 5, 2022

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 3:50 AM

The lack of even a stairway to get to the top of the glassed-in portion of 1 Vandy is almost criminal.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 4:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
The lack of even a stairway to get to the top of the glassed-in portion of 1 Vandy is almost criminal.
I believe that was the intention in the early design stages. It's what I've been contemplating about this proposal. There will be multiple levels up there. so it will probably be a spectacular deck, regardless of what the overall building design is.

Early Vanderbilt ideas...

Extell's tower has a chance for some similar, multi-level observation space...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 4:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Possible change in height means a slight design change.

A closer and detailed look at those observation levels hints at something spectacular...

47 - Restaurant
48 - Observation (332 cap)
49 - Observation (276 cap)
50 - Observation (370 cap)
51 - Mechanical
52 - VIP Observation (578 cap)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 12:54 PM

On the bright side, a design change can't make this thing look much worse.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
On the bright side, a design change can't make this thing look much worse.
Yes I think the only way it could be worse is if it's a 1,067 foot tall replica of the dookie Amber Heard left on Johnny Depps' bed.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:07 PM
BANNED

This building is sickening.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 12:05 AM

Seems like this development will include condos given the relatively small number of dwelling units (108). I would therefore be shocked if it ends up looking as awful as the drawings as I would think they would want to condo units to be on high floor levels to command good prices, not on the low floors as shown.

Last edited by DCReid; Apr 27, 2022 at 12:06 AM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 1:06 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
Yes I think the only way it could be worse is if it's a 1,067 foot tall replica of the dookie Amber Heard left on Johnny Depps' bed.
i laffed, but i am wondering how long this comment will age before people are like, huh?

i am guessing next week.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 1:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Seems like this development will include condos given the relatively small number of dwelling units (108). I would therefore be shocked if it ends up looking as awful as the drawings as I would think they would want to condo units to be on high floor levels to command good prices, not on the low floors as shown.

That number was left in in error. It was revealed that this will be a hotel.

The Schedule A also reveals the breakdown of the floors below the obsevarory, though it now seems incomplete.

Rooms begin on the sixth floor:

6-20 (55 rooms per)

There is a roof bar on 34.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction