HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ It's a positive thing that this part of River North is basically a sea of parking garages with no street life?
LOL I lived just 2 streets north of this for 8 years until semi recently and you couldn't be any further from the truth when you say "no street life" - there definitely is all around there. You need to learn more about the area if that's what you actually think. Now, if you were talking about at 3am, then you'd have a point - it gets quiet, but during a nice weekend day/evening in the summer there's numerous people out there. It's definitely not quiet in reality.

And this site is only 1-2 blocks from the site I was talking about which was denied. It's very close.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:44 AM

The massing on that tower is really doing something with my eyes, and it's not a bad thing.

I love the setbacks, but I'm truly interested in seeing as rending.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:10 AM

Here's the hold out.

gsv

$%##&@?!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Can someone post pictures of the low rises that are coming down for this?

Edit: Never mind, I see them now.

Those should be retained, not the shitty restaurant (by the looks of the food) and dry cleaner. Why must every large building in Chicago be built over a goddamn parking podium?

I'd rather this thing stay on the back burner until the rules are changed around that. Build the two towers. Leave the three 19th century buildings as is. Tear down the building on the corner as soon as possible (small buildings are nice, one-story buildings with zero architectural interest are not).
This is exactly why it is helpful to live in a city and experience it in order to judge what is or is not good for that city. It can be difficult to judge food strictly by a picture. The same for atmosphere. You have to see it, smell it, taste it... experience it.

I don't think ANYONE is saying that they prefer that this building stay over the 19th century buildings. But if those have to go and the little restaurant has to stay, I submit that having this street scale restaurant stick around is not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by Halsted & Villagio; Oct 11, 2017 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:06 PM

Separate thread for Holy Name? Or too early? Sucks that linking to Chicago subforum is so ass-backward.

My bet is that they shoot big, and scale it back to 800-900 ft.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:18 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...t-to-holy-name

October 11, 2017
Developer plans 76-story residential tower next to Holy Name

By ALBY GALLUN

Quote:
A Chicago developer plans to spend more than $700 million on a luxury housing project in River North that would include a 76-story tower, one of the tallest residential buildings in the city.

JDL Development wants to build nearly 900 apartments and condominiums and a high-end fitness center on the block just west of the Holy Name Cathedral at State and Superior streets. JDL today filed its plans with the city for the two-tower project, which is being designed by Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture and Goettsch Partners.

"It's exciting," said JDL President Jim Letchinger. "It's terrifying."

It's the biggest, most ambitious project yet for Letchinger, one of the most prolific residential developers in the city over the past few years. It would also be one of the largest housing projects ever built in downtown Chicago, one reason the proposal will attract plenty of scrutiny from city officials, neighbors and architecture enthusiasts.

JDL plans two towers, one 45 stories and the other 76, rising from a nine-floor base that would include the fitness center and spa, a grocery store, restaurants and other retail space. Letchinger said he wants to build a tall, thin building to maximize open space on the project's rooftop deck and minimize its impact on views from other buildings.

Quote:
Letchinger will present his development proposal at an Oct. 24 community meeting hosted by Ald. Brian Hopkins (2nd), whose ward includes the development site.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:50 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Holy Damn, this will have a tremendous impact given its location.

Last edited by UPChicago; Oct 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:57 PM

Quote:
^ It's a positive thing that this part of River North is basically a sea of parking garages with no street life?

We shouldn't be building parking into buildings anymore. Uber exists, and self driving cars are coming soon. It isn't necessary anymore.

I bet they'll stick a blank concrete wall behind that worthless little building on the corner (which will now never be economical to replace) as well.
They are proposing 600 spaces for 900 units. That's shockingly low for a luxury building. Also, that's like one floor of parking on a lot this size, I would be surprised if it's below grade. The real reason for the podium is retail and apparently to support a large amenity deck. Then again, such a huge amount of retail is also questionable in this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8961...7i13312!8i6656

Not the biggest loss, but still a shame to lose that sort of human scaled vintage building stock, especially in this part of downtown. Certainly hurts more knowing the crap at the corner of Superior and Dearborn will be sticking around.
Eh, not a huge loss, two of them are nice, one is already fucked up. I normally hate losing these types of buildings around here, but I'll trade two for the evisceration of the largest surface lot in the city.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:12 PM
DENNAB

Niiice!

Another big one for Chi town

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
They are proposing 600 spaces for 900 units. That's shockingly low for a luxury building. Also, that's like one floor of parking on a lot this size, I would be surprised if it's below grade. The real reason for the podium is retail and apparently to support a large amenity deck. Then again, such a huge amount of retail is also questionable in this day and age.

Eh, not a huge loss, two of them are nice, one is already fucked up. I normally hate losing these types of buildings around here, but I'll trade two for the evisceration of the largest surface lot in the city.
Quote:
To address concerns about traffic, JDL's architects have designed the project to allow for loading and loading of cars and trucks within it, not along the street. Parking will be underground and in the center of the podium and not visible from the exterior, he said.
from Crains

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
from Crains
I meant wouldn't be surprised, typing on my cell. Good to hear.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:03 PM
THAT Guy

I believe around 200+ of the parking spaces are reserved for Holy Name.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:21 PM

After looking at the 2nd ward map. I bet this thing gets approved.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:35 PM
The City

Quote:

We shouldn't be building parking into buildings anymore. Uber exists, and self driving cars are coming soon. It isn't necessary anymore.

I bet they'll stick a blank concrete wall behind that worthless little building on the corner (which will now never be economical to replace) as well.
Parking will be underground.

To expect NO parking for a building this big, particularly for a multi-use building that will have office space as well as luxury units and for the fact that Holy Name will want some of its own parking, is completely insane.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Isn't he the same Ass-Battalion who blocked the redevelopment of the Father and Son Plaza strip mall?
correct...

Hopkins is your prototypical poverty pimping panderman

I'm sure he'll demand the building by 50% affordable housing

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:38 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
After looking at the 2nd ward map. I bet this thing gets approved.
I don't want this downsized to under 1000 feet!

If there is to be a compromise, lower the height of the northern building.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

a quick and dirty sketchup massing model:

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 16, 2018 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:56 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
They're not in the best shape, but I'll be sad to see the row houses on Dearborn bite the dust for this development. Hopefully they aren't demoed until financing and all that has been secured. Don't want a repeat of the 808 N Wells financing center that knocked the historic building only to go belly up shortly after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Was just looking at them on Google Street view, and I agree would be a shame to lose them, especially when it appears that the nondescript retail buildings on the corner of Dearborn and Superior are going to be spared. Ugh.
I've *always* wanted those buildings moved a block north, just north of Lawson. Lawson would lose some parking spaces, but if the developer "donated" the buildings to Lawson and moved them there for Lawson, Lawson could then sell them for several million each and everyone wins - Developer gets lauded for preserving them, that block gets more historic-looking buildings and loses visible parking lot, and Lawson gets some added cash it could invest in facilities or just throw into an endowment. I don't know what it would take to do that, but if anyone has contacts at Lawson or with the developer it seems like something worth suggesting. In my thinking, Pearson would then also be extended through to Dearborn as a pedestrian "street," improving walkability in the area, too.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:04 PM

the lower portions/base of this seem so weird to me. would hope they could make this more elegant....

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:12 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
He listens more so to his Lincoln Park and West Town political base since they take up a much larger share of his ward than the small region in downtown. He voted against a 10 story proposal in the Lincoln Park area, but he hasn't blocked any development in the downtown section. We'll have to wait and see
I think we can at least have a little hope. Hopkins does seem to have an understanding that downtown can handle tall buildings.

Anyone going to the meetings should ask why the parking ratio is so high - is that to serve Holy Name (annoying, but acceptable reason)? Or because there is a grocery store (bad reason)? Hopefully not only due to the high end nature of the residential units (terrible reason when building literally on a subway station). How many parking spots currently exist - I count somewhere in the vicinity of 160, plus about another 60 associated with the Dearborn townhomes, so going from a block with ~220 to 600+ spots is WAY more than needed just to replace existing parking needs.

I'm also kind of disappointed that there isn't some sort of public plaza. I was imagining towers at the corners with all parking underground and some sort of plaza space taking up maybe as much as 25% of the block's surface area that could be used for holiday festivals (imagine a mini-Christkindlemarkt) and other programming to draw in visitors and enliven the area. The autocourt looks dreary in the sketches.
[/SIZE]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive