HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 5:14 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: ctc.creative

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 10:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 10:11 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

the post goes after the nytimes re hy subsides:

https://nypost.com/2019/03/11/the-ne...rds-subsidies/

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 11:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 3:52 PM

NYT review is out. A lot of the points were brought up a decade ago but ignored because BIG AND SHINY IS GOOD.

Quote:
And while those apartment buildings look to be less enormous than the supertalls that have gone up so far, stepping down toward the river, the whole site lacks any semblance of human scale. With its focus on the buildings’ shiny envelopes, on the monotony of reflective blue glass and the sheen of polished wood, brass, leather, marble and stone, Hudson Yards glorifies a kind of surface spectacle — as if the peak ambitions of city life were consuming luxury goods and enjoying a smooth, seductive, mindless materialism.

It gives physical form to a crisis of city leadership, asleep at the wheel through two administrations, and to a pernicious theory of civic welfare that presumes private development is New York’s primary goal, the truest measure of urban vitality and health, with money the city’s only real currency.

The triumph of this view is a consequence of government’s dwindling capacity to plan, build or repair anything significant itself. City Hall, which demonstrates no grasp of urban design, doesn’t do planning, vaguely requiring half the acreage at Hudson Yards be open space but leaving Mr. Ross to decide what that means.

He hired architects at Kohn Pedersen Fox, the global firm, to come up with a masterplan but clearly they just did what he wanted, starting with the design of a superblock along 10th Avenue.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...yards-nyc.html

As a public space, it does suck. The grand central park is a roadway median that will be surrounded by triple parked ubers.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 5:28 PM
BANNED

^ Are there any NYT reviews of the development by non-Marxists?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ Are there any NYT reviews of the development by non-Marxists?
I didnt realize Marx wrote about the interaction of public space and development. Do you have any xamples to share?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
I didnt realize Marx wrote about the interaction of public space and development. Do you have any xamples to share?
What exactly are you talking about? The references were obviously to the tiresome, irrelevant class warfare tropes dominating the article. Stupid attempts at trying to be the AOC of the design world, rather than actually reviewing the complex's architectural merits. As if we didn't know that the folks working at investment banking HQ in 80 floor towers were higher earners than those working at the Dollar Tree in Youngstown, OH.

The silliest part was the praise lavished on Rock Center, when Rock Center was basically a mass-clearance of poors, back in the day when there was basically no land use process or tenants rights. Also the crying about subsidies when the sixth avenue EL was demolished and rebuilt underground due to the Rockefellers. And Rock Center was hated when first built, excoriated by critics.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 9:14 PM

Per Wikipedia, the general reviews of Rock Center upon completion. It was considered, to put it kindly, absolute trash:

"Daniel Okrent writes that "almost everyone" hated the updated plans. The renowned architectural scholar Lewis Mumford went into exile in upstate New York specifically because the "weakly conceived, reckless, romantic chaos" of the plans for Rockefeller Center had violated his sense of style. Mumford's commentary provoked a wave of blunt, negative criticism from private citizens; newspapers, such as the New York Herald Tribune; and architects, including both Frank Lloyd Wright and Ralph Adams Cram, whose styles were diametrically opposed to each other. The New York Times took note of the "universal condemnation" of the proposal,"

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 1:45 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Video Link

Published on Mar 14, 2019

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 11:08 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

for opening day yesterday i walked around after work. i came from grand central and it was strange to be on the 7 train at the last stop with lots of people on it as normally no one goes to hy. well thats about to change lol.

then getting out it was weird to see the construction fencing down and all the openness after so long. its not often a whole neighborhood opens up in a day.

it was stunning to see the towers up close and the vessel thing is just enormous, much larger than i thought and it looks just stunning up close.

the mall is a mall, but it has what i believe these days they call a nicely 'curated' variety of high end shops and restaurants. who knows how well it will do, but you can't say they didn't try. there were dj's and flash mob dance performances inside and out and all in all it was quite a nice opening day celebration.

if you go, for right now there is nothing to do but look around or go in the new mall. the towers are still u/c and the shed performance center the observation deck are not open quite yet. the shed opens next month with performances. not sure when the observation platform opens, but i saw you can access it inside the mall. you will need to sign up for free timed tix to walk up on the vessel for a while they said so they can control the crowds.

after a look around i walked home on the highline. walking away i saw a large line on the street below the coach tower for what is supposed to be the spain version of eataly called mercado little spain. 

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 11:25 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

yesterday -- the eastern yards opening day

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 12:05 PM
BANNED

Did anyone snap photos of the water feature?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 12:30 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post

i think you are referring to a fountain in the hudson yards neighborhood park area just north of this new railyards section? i don't think its turned on for the season yet, but it was on last summer.

i didn't see anything in the new area, but that does not mean there won't be something, it still a construction zone. i dk though.

fyi there is also a nice foot soak water feature of the highline park down near w15st for the summer months. its nice after all the hiking around.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post

I went yesterday, it wasn't on. I actually almost forgot that that was coming.

The plaza was still a little bit raw. You can tell that they have not finished working.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
I went yesterday, it wasn't on. I actually almost forgot that that was coming.

The plaza was still a little bit raw. You can tell that they have not finished working.
Thanks, Street. I was referring to the long, curved waterscrim. I’m curious how deep it is and how strong its current is. I guess they’ll turn it on when it’s warmer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 4:11 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ hmm, i didn't even notice that. there was a lot going on!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 9:22 PM

Taken 3/16 & 3/17:

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quick pic I took from the westside highway

https://flic.kr/p/2f9qLWo

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 9:39 AM

that is one sad-looking mall, but thank goodness new york finally got a Uniqlo... overall a pretty depressing spectacle SHOP SHOP SHOP

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development