HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Gezhouba International Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Wuhan Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 11:55 AM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
How is that bad urban planning ? In this country this is just about the only opportunity there is to create a park. China doesn't need to pack more people in just in case you weren't aware.
It's inefficient use of urban space. Giant roads and endless expanses of mowed grass (not a well designed park, it's going to be an empty wind tunnel). Exactly what China doesn't need.

I do, however, think the tower is quite elegant.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 2:01 AM
Headquarter: Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
It's inefficient use of urban space. Giant roads and endless expanses of mowed grass (not a well designed park, it's going to be an empty wind tunnel). Exactly what China doesn't need.

I do, however, think the tower is quite elegant.
The USA is probably the worst country in the world in terms of urban planning.

Except old cores of old cities, Everything built in the past 50 years basically involves a shopping mall, endless highways and depressive suburbia.

If I compare 2 modern cities, ( Shenzhen and Phoenix), the first is a great example of density, while the second one is giant suburbia.

You are in a really bad position to do any criticism regard chinese urbanism, considering you come from the country who invented suburbia.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 4:42 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by graupner View Post

Except old cores of old cities, Everything built in the past 50 years basically involves a shopping mall, endless highways and depressive suburbia.

If I compare 2 modern cities, ( Shenzhen and Phoenix), the first is a great example of density, while the second one is giant suburbia.

You are in a really bad position to do any criticism regard chinese urbanism, considering you come from the country who invented suburbia.
I'm not a Phoenician. Or a surbaninite. I'm speaking as someone who understands the problems of this kind of development in an urban context (aka not suburban). Suburbia is a disaster in its own right.

America is probably the best country to look to in terms of what urban mistakes have been made. It's a shame that China appears to be not only copying them, but exacerbating them.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 5:55 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:

Really? So no one in the US has a foot to stand on when commenting on poor urban design because decisions made in their country for the past 50 years?

He's bang on with his assessment. China is famous for providing huge set backs for their towers, and leaving dead green space in between and an un-animated urban realm. It's not being critical or derogatory, it's observation that coincides with current city planning theory.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 4:55 AM
Headquarter: Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
China is famous for providing huge set backs for their towers, and leaving dead green space in between and an un-animated urban realm. It's not being critical or derogatory, it's observation that coincides with current city planning theory.
It's known for that according to who ??? Have you been to China?

What you guys say is the exception rather than the rule.

You probably never went to China, Chinese cities are density in its purest form.

Huge set-backs for its towers ? WTF ?? probably for a few landmark towers, ok.
But most skyscrapers are tightly packed.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 7:11 AM
be nice to the crackheads

People are thinking of Mainland China's most infamous (and most well-known) example of poor urban planning; Lujiazui. The rest of Shanghai is not unlike any other tightly-packed CBD with towers coming right up to the sidewalk.

Having said that, there seems to be one district in every megacity in China that does have a suburban-style CBD, but it's the exception to the rule.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 1:13 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
It's known for that according to who ??? Have you been to China?

What you guys say is the exception rather than the rule.

You probably never went to China, Chinese cities are density in its purest form.

Huge set-backs for its towers ? WTF ?? probably for a few landmark towers, ok.
But most skyscrapers are tightly packed.
Yup, lived in China in 2002.

I never said every tower in China followed the tower-in-the-park model, I was commenting on the fact that this is something that has been embraced in aspects of chinese tower construction in various cities. Yes, China has density. Yes, China has animated streets and towers that address the street. I'm not saying they don't. I am saying that I've witnessed examples where the opposite is true, and it is not a good thing.

In this case, the orientation and pedestrian realm of this building is hurting and could be significantly improved.

But to question individuals ability to have an opinion based on where they live or if they've visited said country is irrelevant. Grow up.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 5:19 AM

Yeah, suburbia sucks, what with all the clean air, room to breath, parks, and not having to share walls with your neighbors. Some people love the city, but I think in general, people are supposed to live in small groups, not staked on top of one another, having to deal with everyone's bullshit. Sorry, maybe I am just sensitive because my neighbors decided to have a party till 4 am two days in a row and were constantly up on their balcony keeping me and my wife awake when I had to get up at 7 am to work. This was never a problem when I lived out in Orion Township and my neighbors wall was 50 feet from mine.

Suburbia can be great. In Metro Detroit for instance we have several communities that have a great small town feel (Rochester, Romeo, Clawson and Lake Orion) along with larger and older communities like Royal Oak and Birmingham that have all the nightlife and excitement you could want. Sure there are plenty of tracts of big houses with huge yards in between, and those are great places to raise kids.

We have New York, Chicago, Boston and SF for those Americans who want to live stacked up on top of each other and pay twice as much for a quarter of the room. To each his own.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
1WTC + Devon Headquarters = Gezhouba
to a tee. exact only taller. at least they are copying a nice tower.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 5:45 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Is it me or is Wuhan a more established (urban) city than Shanghai.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:13 PM
Transport Planner

Any updates....?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 12:34 PM
Website Manager

Not that I know of

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 3:58 PM

Under Construction

New Design:

3/25

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...0&postcount=89

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 4:49 PM
Ω

It's like they took our advice! Much better planning-wise. Although the old tower was nicer.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:00 PM

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
The calm before the storm

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 3:07 AM

From May

zwamborn

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive