HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:41 PM

imo I believe the Wash West Civic group is about to freak out about all the new development in the neighborhood. Between the 12th Street Gym debacle, demolition happening adjacent to the Walnut St. Wendy's, and this parking garage, people are really starting to complain.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:17 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
^^^ A very similar parking structure was recently converted to residential/commercial:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/41...!4d-75.1687199
And the developer, Alterra Property Group (you may have heard of them ) has their headquarters on the ground floor, apartments upstairs, and retained parking in the basement.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...21086634846642

Streetview after: https://goo.gl/maps/fqubqqBo8kvPpJcw9

Streetview before: https://goo.gl/maps/nFY8tUjXZ9fpkqgG7

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
imo I believe the Wash West Civic group is about to freak out about all the new development in the neighborhood. Between the 12th Street Gym debacle, demolition happening adjacent to the Walnut St. Wendy's, and this parking garage, people are really starting to complain.
I know this is a skyscraper forum, but it seems like there are many on here who support historic preservation as well.

I just created a Change.org petition to urge the Historic Commission to expedite the process in creating the Washington Square West Historic District. The District was originally proposed 9 years ago by the Preservation Alliance and for whatever reason its been stalled ever since. The buildings you mentioned above are all located within the proposed district. My understanding is the Preservation Alliance needs more public support to get this moving forward. There's still a long way to go, but hopefully this is a start. If interested, please sign and share.

http://chng.it/H9srw8Jz5h

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 11:25 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I know this is a skyscraper forum, but it seems like there are many on here who support historic preservation as well.

I just created a Change.org petition to urge the Historic Commission to expedite the process in creating the Washington Square West Historic District. The District was originally proposed 9 years ago by the Preservation Alliance and for whatever reason its been stalled ever since. The buildings you mentioned above are all located within the proposed district. My understanding is the Preservation Alliance needs more public support to get this moving forward. There's still a long way to go, but hopefully this is a start. If interested, please sign and share.

http://chng.it/H9srw8Jz5h
Thanks for that. A couple typos: in a couple places you referred to the Historical Commission as the Historic Commission. It is Historical.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
A lot of people upset about this demo...

http://www.rising.realestate/permits..._lkZnfVAjVprjY
Whoa, I live right by this, news to me and the garage is still fully operating. Has anyone heard rumblings of what might go in its place? The article is just a lot of speculation.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 12:29 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlmatt View Post
Whoa, I live right by this, news to me and the garage is still fully operating. Has anyone heard rumblings of what might go in its place? The article is just a lot of speculation.
All there is so far is the demo permit, which appeared in the City's eClipse Daily Zoning Report on Monday, and a plumbing permit to seal the lateral (typically a precursor to demo). Nothing yet in atlas either.

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...lyZoningReport

ZP-2021-000231 Jan 26, 2021 316-20 S 11TH ST, Philadelphia, PA 19107-6067 316 SOUTH 11TH STREET L P 1
Complete Demolition of Existing 3 Story Parking Garage

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 5:03 PM

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20210129.html

An interesting tidbit:

"Scioli Turco has used Act 135 to clean up dozens of neglected buildings around the city, including the asbestos-ridden, former steam plant a few blocks east of the viaduct, at Ninth and Willow Streets. In that case, Scioli Turco acted as a kind of overseer to ensure that the building’s owner, developer John Wei, carried out an approved remediation plan. The work was completed last year, and Wei told the court he now plans to convert the longtime eyesore into apartments."

How did I miss that the Willow Steam plant was turning into apartments? As a kid I'd always stare out the window on 676 at it in amazement. Later on I'd always associate it with trips to the Electric Factory. It's good to hear it will be saved because it's so iconic. I always dreamed of a Baltimore Powerpoint Live type setup with it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 6:48 PM

Whoa, I had thought the asbestos remediation would make it prohibitively expensive to do anything with

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 7:27 PM
Chris

What is everyone's opinion on this project? 262 S. 16th Street, next to Monk's Café. This building is replacing a 2 story 1980s rowhouse with a glass setback.

I think it's a solid infill project that fits with the block, much better than its predecessor, and much better than the similar project on Walnut Street.

However, in a Philadelphia Urban Planning FB group this image was posted and met with A LOT of criticism from a generally negative / cranky group. There were also some nasty comments about "more housing for the rich", how that is relevant is beyond me...

Anyways, thoughts?...

https://www.compass.com/listing/262-...1868685535841/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 7:29 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20210129.html

An interesting tidbit:

"Scioli Turco has used Act 135 to clean up dozens of neglected buildings around the city, including the asbestos-ridden, former steam plant a few blocks east of the viaduct, at Ninth and Willow Streets. In that case, Scioli Turco acted as a kind of overseer to ensure that the building’s owner, developer John Wei, carried out an approved remediation plan. The work was completed last year, and Wei told the court he now plans to convert the longtime eyesore into apartments."

How did I miss that the Willow Steam plant was turning into apartments? As a kid I'd always stare out the window on 676 at it in amazement. Later on I'd always associate it with trips to the Electric Factory. It's good to hear it will be saved because it's so iconic. I always dreamed of a Baltimore Powerpoint Live type setup with it.
From the article...

“Attempts to get the city to hold Reading accountable have gone nowhere...”

“During former Mayor Michael Nutter’s administration, city officials flew to Los Angeles to meet Reading executives to try to open discussions about transferring the viaduct into public control...”

Shows how useless the city is and how we've fallen since Nutter.

Anyways, I hope this works out! Could be a treasure like The High Line in NYC.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 7:35 PM

That looks awesome to me but damn...I miss Monk's

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 8:45 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
What is everyone's opinion on this project? 262 S. 16th Street, next to Monk's Café. This building is replacing a 2 story 1980s rowhouse with a glass setback.

I think it's a solid infill project that fits with the block, much better than its predecessor, and much better than the similar project on Walnut Street.

However, in a Philadelphia Urban Planning FB group this image was posted and met with A LOT of criticism from a generally negative / cranky group. There were also some nasty comments about "more housing for the rich", how that is relevant is beyond me...

Anyways, thoughts?...

https://www.compass.com/listing/262-...1868685535841/
I love the project, I think this should be used as an example on how to build new structures when next to the oldschool brick row homes, not just throwing up a metal box.

As for the naysayers they will say anything negative if it has to do with change,.

New trees on the block "Who's picking up the leaves and maintaining branches'

New streets lights on the block "Oh my god LEDS are to bright I can actually see shit when I look outside"

New Building on the block "Well this building is terrible they didn't built them like this in 1954.

An excuse for everything In the world.

I really ignore those type of people and really they shouldn't be taken serious when they are spewing the bs

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 8:47 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
From the article...

“Attempts to get the city to hold Reading accountable have gone nowhere...”

“During former Mayor Michael Nutter’s administration, city officials flew to Los Angeles to meet Reading executives to try to open discussions about transferring the viaduct into public control...”

Shows how useless the city is and how we've fallen since Nutter.

Anyways, I hope this works out! Could be a treasure like The High Line in NYC.
Who was the other contender against Kenney?

Also I am happy they are going to do something with that and keep adding to the rail park, with this addition people should be able to walk from the first built section to this one correct?

I have to go check it out this spring Ive been so busy I never got a chance to see it and I love stuff like this.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 5:09 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post

That looks awesome to me but damn...I miss Monk's
I like it.
Seems it will be very handsome from the street.
A good addition to the neighborhood. Almost unnoticeable, as it should be.
Hoping the materials used match the renderings

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 2:58 PM

^ +1

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 3:35 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Who was the other contender against Kenney?
Anthony Williams was the other main contender. But what's interesting is that Kenney's entire staff and support network came from Ken Trujillo's campaign after he dropped out (he's said it was due to family reasons; I've heard its because an immediate family member had a medical issue, FWIW). Had Trujillo not dropped out, it's extremely likely he would have won that election. Kenney was basically forced into running because Trujillo and the people backing him had built such an extensive network that then needed a candidate to actually run, and Kenney was who they decided on.

This isn't meant to be for or against anyone in particular, FWIW, I just think it's interesting how much little events like this can change the future.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 5:35 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Anthony Williams was the other main contender. But what's interesting is that Kenney's entire staff and support network came from Ken Trujillo's campaign after he dropped out (he's said it was due to family reasons; I've heard its because an immediate family member had a medical issue, FWIW). Had Trujillo not dropped out, it's extremely likely he would have won that election. Kenney was basically forced into running because Trujillo and the people backing him had built such an extensive network that then needed a candidate to actually run, and Kenney was who they decided on.

This isn't meant to be for or against anyone in particular, FWIW, I just think it's interesting how much little events like this can change the future.
Yea, I remember reading about that. Very interesting to think of the "what-ifs" regarding the 2015 scenario...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:27 PM

Will an Apartment Building on E. York Get Community Support?

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...munity-support

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:29 PM

258 Units Planned at Former Fishtown Power Plant Property

Current site:

Current site:

Quote:
With active work currently happening on the site, it looks like something is actually moving forward, and now we have a better idea of what is planned. Zoning permits were issued in November of 2020 to place 216 residential units within the existing power plant building and another 42 units within an addition. Construction permits were then issued on Friday for the 216 units within the power plant structure.

We’re relatively certain that the project will entail commercial components as well. There were permits issued last May for office space within the existing building and the residential zoning permits were only for a partial change in use. We also would not rule out some type of event space, restaurant, or other retail use at the property, which would be allowed by-right on this CMX-3 parcel.
Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/258-uni...lant-property/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:33 PM

48 Units + 2 Commercial Spaces Rising Near 7th and Girard

Back in October of 2019, we reported that the old Girard Theater at 625-27 W. Girard Avenue in Ludlow was getting demolished. The theater was built in 1891 and was more recently the home of a Fine Fare market. Check out the article from 2019 for pictures of the theater and more background information on it.

When completed, the new structure will rise 6 stories and will hold 48 residential units and two commercial spaces. The development team is utilizing the green roof density bonus and the fresh food market height bonus, so one of the retail spaces will be reserved for some type of grocer. The building will also have a roof deck and there will be 16 bicycle stalls for residents.

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/48-unit...th-and-girard/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development