HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 1:20 AM

Quick update on this. This is from 9/13 minutes from the CCRA:

Quote:
a. 19th and Chestnut CVS – Rick G. reported that Goodwin Properties’ proposal to develop a 40-story tower at 19th and Chestnut raises concerns about congestion given that Pearl is already developing a tower at 19th and Sansom. To alleviate congestion, the two developers are in negotiation to share delivery space on Sansom Street.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 1:50 AM

This proves that this was not just a conceptual rendering. This is a real project.

Crazy shit.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 2:10 AM
Philly Pholly

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 4:01 AM

I hope the 4-5? towers in the area are all built as-is, IK there's 1 starting soon, I hope the 3 on this block stay at the heights we've heard they'd be amazing additions to the skyline and all would hopefully start around the same time!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 4:06 AM

I agree with the concern of congestion, it could be too much for the area. Looking at my 3d visuals the placement and design looks off with the cluster, I don't know how to feel about this just yet

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 3:07 PM

^^ I agree, but i also think it would possibly encourage walkable developments and possible transit expansion, or at least buses. IDRK how to feel on all the towers, they would look great on the skyline, but how many residents would be added between the 3 projects on this block alone?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
I agree with the concern of congestion, it could be too much for the area. Looking at my 3d visuals the placement and design looks off with the cluster, I don't know how to feel about this just yet
I am not concerned about congestion at this location at all. You’re within walking distance to both subway lines as well as two high volume bus routes. There are plenty of parking garages as well as being a quick drive to 76 and 676. You’re within walking distance of rittenhouse square, Ben Franklin parkway as well as the schuykill river trail. If Logan square gets redone that’s another park within walking distance. There are a lot of restaurants as well as retail in the area. What am I missing here?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
I am not concerned about congestion at this location at all. You’re within walking distance to both subway lines as well as two high volume bus routes. There are plenty of parking garages as well as being a quick drive to 76 and 676. You’re within walking distance of rittenhouse square, Ben Franklin parkway as well as the schuykill river trail. If Logan square gets redone that’s another park within walking distance. There are a lot of restaurants as well as retail in the area. What am I missing here?
Your on point, your not missing much, if anything. The BSL, PATCO, and MFL are all fairly close right? The parks, museums, shops, restaurants, 30th street, there all quite close and easily accsessible to my knowledge

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 5:28 PM

This is the densest, most walkable and most transit heavy area of the city. Bus lines everywhere, can walk most places. EASY ACCESS to all Suburban Station (regional rail) and 30th Street Station (regional rail and AMTRAK), easy access to all trolley lines, the Market-Frankford Line and the Broad Street Line.

Congestion? WTF? Build it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
This is the densest, most walkable and most transit heavy area of the city. Bus lines everywhere, can walk most places. EASY ACCESS to all Suburban Station (regional rail) and 30th Street Station (regional rail and AMTRAK), easy access to all trolley lines, the Market-Frankford Line and the Broad Street Line.

Haha

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 5:50 PM

I'm not sure this is actually a concern about "congestion" in the way that we think of the term so much as it's just improving the design of both buildings to make it so they don't conflict with each other. They're not talking about "congestion" because of parking - it's the delivery area that they're looking to share. Like they don't want to be stepping on each other's toes knowing that several delivery trucks each day are going to be going down the street, and you don't want a scenario where a delivery in one building is blocking a delivery in the other. Probably has something to do with the narrow street and truck turning radii conflicting with each other. Simiarly if sharing a delivery area allows them to add more parking in one building, the other building can compensate the other for it and it ends up being a win-win for both sides.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 7:04 PM

^^ I hear ya. That makes sense. A shared loading dock off of Sansom for both of these buildings would make a ton of sense.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
If this project was going in catty-corner I doubt anyone here would be concerned about congestion, as in too many people in the hood. I think the only congestion is the idea on having two tall buildings side by side in an area where they will be much taller than anything close by. (katty-corner is a dream since the apartment dwellers to the north would go on hunger strike)

Who cares how these will effect the skyline. I would be glad for the addition regardless. I care much more that they be well designed and well constructed. Fortunately the Laurel might cause developers to move alittle past the usual boring box concept.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 8:52 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

The fact that they are communicating and looking for a solution, I would say, found a solution, is a great sign.
They are active and moving forward.

Would you say the densest, most walkable and transit heavy area in the state, or even of anywhere outside NYC?

Last edited by SEFTA; Nov 16, 2021 at 12:44 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 1:43 AM
Midrise

deleted - I decided I was too off topic. ;-)

Last edited by Jayfar; Nov 15, 2021 at 6:53 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 6:34 PM

I guess this is a significant step forward for this development as I saw this on the Philadelphia Planning, Urban Policy and Design via Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia FB page today:

Quote:
The Preservation Alliance recently accepted a preservation easement on 1826 Chestnut Street.
Quote:
An apartment tower is planned that will rise above the historic building. Under the easement, the principal facades along S. 19th and Chestnut Streets will be preserved, protected and incorporated into the new development.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...ibextid=Nif5oz

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 7:36 PM
Philly Pholly

[QUOTE=kool-ski;9875151]I guess this is a significant step forward for this development as I saw this on the Philadelphia Planning, Urban Policy and Design via Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia FB page today:

So what you're saying is this can really be happening?

Rittenhouse Square 2-24-23

Last edited by SEFTA; Feb 24, 2023 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 8:26 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Good, that corner is in sore need of a tall tower!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 8:43 PM

Which do you guys think will happen first, this or the lot immediately south?
The lot immediately south has been through CDR but has since stalled out. It feels like this sudden burst of life could be the momentum this project needs to get off of the ground.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 11:02 PM

[QUOTE=SEFTA;9875230]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-ski View Post
I guess this is a significant step forward for this development as I saw this on the Philadelphia Planning, Urban Policy and Design via Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia FB page today:

So what you're saying is this can really be happening?

Rittenhouse Square 2-24-23
Being that this news seemingly came out of nowhere, I'd say Yes!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals