HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Matthew -

Speaking as an outsider who's never even been near Winston-Salem, I want to reinforce what others here have expressed. Your updates here are very much appreciated. The thoroughness and detail of your updates inspire me to be more thorough on the threads that I frequently post updates in. More members should be aware of the quality of this thread. It is the reason I subscribed and regularly read your posts.

As for the lack of conversation, that is an unfortunate reality that plagues many of the smaller-to-mid-tier cities here on SSP (outside of Canada), including my hometown - Kalamazoo. Ultimately, we all have finite time, so you have to chose your battles and stick with your passions. Believe me - as a fellow father / husband / homeowner / creative worker, I can relate.
Just know that your updates here are meaningful, even if it feels like you're sending them into a vacuum.
As someone who lives in Camel City I wholeheartedly concur your updates are greatly appreciated & highly anticipated! I do hope that ad hominem attack by a poster whose last post on here was almost 15 years ago was instantly dismissed by you. Your work on this site as well as WSTB stands on its on merit.

As to the hilarious charge of multiple personas, I instantly suspected that Gsoboi (the man of a 1000 personas) was behind these shenanigans. Apparently that’s not the case, but let me state as a poster who’s been on WSTB as well as this site for over 20 years, I have never felt that any of your contributions to these sites has been for self aggrandizing motives but for a true love of the subject matter. You have delivered a lot of enjoyment in my life with the information you have shared in reference to Winston. Your ability to ferret out scoops of previously unknown civic happenings has kept me coming back for more! And for that I, as well as I’m sure many more, thank you.

Last edited by zalo; May 26, 2023 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 12:51 AM

Front Street Capital’s massive new spec building at Union Cross has walls!

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMetroRaleigh View Post
Front Street Capital’s massive new spec building at Union Cross has walls!

Looks like a perfect site for ProKidney’s operations…..

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 6:44 PM
Fourth and Main

Still trying to break-up that massive post planned for June 1. It will still be huge, but posting parts of it as individual projects will lighten it some.

Mill 800 Apartments:
This $10.5 million adaptive-reuse project will convert a former Union Carbide building into 46 two-storey residential units with parking under the building. Belmont Sayer will be the developer and Tise Kiester Architects will be the architect.

These are dated this month, but they aren't a construction set:

The apartments appear to be two-storey units, taking advantage of the very high ceilings:

Your City

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Still trying to break-up that massive post planned for June 1. It will still be huge, but posting parts of it as individual projects will lighten it some.

Mill 800 Apartments:
This $10.5 million adaptive-reuse project will convert a former Union Carbide building into 46 two-storey residential units with parking under the building. Belmont Sayer will be the developer and Tise Kiester Architects will be the architect.

These are dated this month, but they aren't a construction set:

The apartments appear to be two-storey units, taking advantage of the very high ceilings:

Your City
Cool, but exactly where is this? Is it this? https://www.mill800.com/

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; May 27, 2023 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 8:45 PM

I would love to see something like this new project in KC in center city WS

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 4:36 AM
Fourth and Main

Is that an observation platform, above the roof, with a skyline view?

Credit: Kevin

It's the second and last phase of the Mill 800 project. This building was originally proposed as office space, but in today's hybrid and work-from-home world, they decided to renovate it into apartments, like the neighboring buildings they renovated at this site a few years ago. (850 Chatham Road) It's where Chatham Road merges into Northwest Boulevard, on the far northwestern end of downtown. If you're at that merge (Chatham & Northwest), you'll see the rusted metal and brick building in the architect's drawings.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMetroRaleigh View Post
I do have anxiety about kids falling off of the Kaleideum roof! I wouldn’t want a swing or slide anywhere like that.
I'm not a fan of that playground either. It looks dangerous and is really ugly. Looking at how permanent it is being install, replacing it in the future will be really difficult. At some point it will look dated... It already does. Lol.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 4:06 PM

I daresay a lot of y'all might not be the target demographic for the Kaleideum rooftop playground. My kids are pretty jazzed about it, and are looking forward to the new Kaleideum opening.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
I daresay a lot of y'all might not be the target demographic for the Kaleideum rooftop playground.
How dare you!

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 3:26 AM
Fourth and Main

Imagining the conversation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids
Can we go with the family next door to the science museum. They have dinosaurs and rocks and educational stuff there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parents
With helmets and skateboard pads? Where are you going and don't tell me the museum to look at fossils and geodes.

When I was a kid, I would've loved this museum. I was a nerdy kid who liked science museums and also would've enjoyed the challenge course on the roof, surrounded by buildings. A big thumbs-up to whoever thought of that and it's highly visible, so kids will see it and want to go there. It also made me aware of how nice that location is. [Looks at my son Noah] How old do the kids have to be to go up there and can the parents show the kids how to complete the course? I see construction workers and museum staff on the equipment (likely to show parents it's safe). Maybe they will have a fundraiser or private events that allow adults to try the challenge course? I do know they plan to allow companies or groups to rent the building for events.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 3:46 AM
Fourth and Main

How many projects, we've talked about on this thread, can you find in the video? This videographer, traveling to different states to make these videos, actually loves Winston-Salem and its vibrancy so much, they are strongly considering moving to Winston-Salem. Very awesome and a great transformation we've had fun following here!

Video Link

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 2:20 PM

Can we discuss the streets in downtown Winston? Why are they so terrible? The right lane of Fifth St going westbound around Flow's building is pretty much unusable if you value your suspension. Even in the brand new IQ they are awful. I used to think burying the power lines was the primary logistical upgrade that needed to be made, but the roads have moved to number 1 for me.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
I daresay a lot of y'all might not be the target demographic for the Kaleideum rooftop playground. My kids are pretty jazzed about it, and are looking forward to the new Kaleideum opening.
I just drove buy the Kaleideum and I changed my mind about the rooftop playground. I know longer think that its ugly. That might be the coolest feature in downtown Winston-Salem. When other kids, from the streets, see kids playing on that rooftop they will lose their minds.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnAikens View Post
I just drove buy the Kaleideum and I changed my mind about the rooftop playground. I know longer think that its ugly. That might be the coolest feature in downtown Winston-Salem. When other kids, from the streets, see kids playing on that rooftop they will lose their minds.
Yep, and as far as safety you can tell by the pics that the proposed finished grade of the playground surface is way above the surface you see in the under construction images. This means it will be nice and soft. Also, I heard from someone involved that they had a 2hr meeting just about the proposed guardrail heights on the roof. They are definitely considering all of our fears.

The children are going to love it!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smain View Post
Yep, and as far as safety you can tell by the pics that the proposed finished grade of the playground surface is way above the surface you see in the under construction images. This means it will be nice and soft. Also, I heard from someone involved that they had a 2hr meeting just about the proposed guardrail heights on the roof. They are definitely considering all of our fears.

The children are going to love it!
That's comforting

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 1:38 AM

A new rainbow crosswalk will be painted in the Arts District at Trade and Sixth for Pride Month

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 4:40 AM
Fourth and Main

Downtown Streetscape:
The City is working on streetscape projects that include repaving, two-way traffic, and even adding cycling infrastructure where possible. The streetscape projects are currently delayed by Duke Energy's side of the projects. Years of construction have left downtown with rough streets... along with sidewalks, light standards, street furniture, etc., that don't match; designed by whoever the landscape architect was on that block's major project. And don't forget attempts to create gas light districts around 40+ years ago, with unique light standards and sidewalks. It's great to see the City working to make everything match. It does seem to be moving slowly, though. Much slower than anticipated. This is the delay in adding light standards to the new bridges. Everything needs to match. I'm guessing this is also delaying the dandelion sculptures? I haven't heard that from anyone, it's just my "guess" as to the dandelion sculpture project's delay.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 12:06 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this update possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and donate my free time to assemble it to allow people outside the area to see what is happening in Winston-Salem. Please share photographs for this update, if you can.

And here is that massive monthly update post I was talking about!

Video Link

Kaleideum Science Museum:

Credit: Northedge Walls

Kaleideum employees tour the rooftop playground attraction:

Credit: Kaleideum

8 W 3 Apartments & Retail:
The buck hoist was recently removed and now workers can install windows in those openings.

Drywall Delivery:

Credit: Lawrence Snell

Fogle Commons:
Whiting-Turner Construction Company is preparing to start construction on this $20 million infrastructure and park project. They are currently seeking bids from subcontractors and suppliers. Look for construction to start in September or October of 2023.

Forsyth County Courthouse:

Credit: Dale Briggs

Credit: Terri Carnell

The Byrum Apartments:
The developer closed on the site and is preparing to start demolition, soon, preparing the site for construction. However, they are planning to delay construction, due to national economic issues. The earliest it could break ground is Fall 2023 or it could be delayed until next year. So, we don't have a firm start date for this 286-unit project. Any date shown will be just a rough estimate of when it could start and would be subject to change. This developer and his partners are excited about this project and want to build it as soon as they can. Interestingly, the Byrum name is from a family member of developer D. Porter Jones. Byrum made a major donation to Wake Forest University. I think Byrum is someone the developer is named after (Byrum Porter?)? This will be constructed just a few blocks from Wake Forest University's downtown medical school and their expanding engineering school. From what the architects are saying, I think it will have classic "Victorian library"-themed common areas? I guess we shall see. We do have one rendering and it looks like the usual wood-framed apartment buildings constructed around downtown.

Credit: DPJ Residential

Truliant Tower:
Winston Tower will soon become Truliant Tower, as work resumes on the now $2.5 million effort to change the sign. The sign at the top of this 30-storey skyscraper will be blue during the day and white at night. Look for the new sign to be completed by the end of next month.

Interstate 74:

Credit: c10c-8z4Tns

Credit: Michael de los Santos

Credit: Michael de los Santos

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:
The first bioprinted solid tissues will be sent from downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District to the International Space Station. There, they will be studied to evaluate vascularization of tissue in microgravity. Axiom Space is a tenant at downtown's Bailey Power Plant and they are developing the first commercial space station. They want to become involved in regenerative medicine. Winston-Salem is the world's leading regenerative medicine research center, which will one day bring an end to the need for organ donation and possibly end all or most organ rejection and the need for rejection medications.

Dram & Draught opened a long time ago at Bailey Power Plant, but they waited until May 13, for their official grand opening celebration. We've already seen the inside, so I'll share the new signage, which was recently installed.

The grand opening for Dram & Draught (May 13):

Credit: winstonsalembusiness

Credit: winstonsalembusiness

Credit: dramanddraughtwinston

Truist Stadium Upgrades:
It appears as if the joint venture between Frank L. Blum Construction and W.C. Construction is now in place and they are ready to start on ballpark work.

This container beer bar actually turned-out better than I thought it would:

Credit: heffsburgerclub

Lot 63 Taproom + Coffeehouse:
Are you ready for more craft beer! This is the reuse of an 1867 building for a craft beer brewery that will also have Moravian baked goods and classic Moravian coffee. Yes, the world's thinnest cookies will be available here. Aaron Wall and Eric Peck will create new and a unique beers inspired by the rich history of Winston-Salem's historic Old Salem and Moravian/German brewing traditions. Yes, another craft beer brewery! This sounds awesome!

Credit: thegotowinstonsalem

Downtown's Innovation Quarter Economic Impact:
According to TEConomy Partners, downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District has an economic impact of nearly $2 billion, has nearly 5,000 workers, and generated roughly 4,500 additional jobs in the area. It will likely pass the 10,000+ new jobs impact number when the next building opens?

NASCAR All-Star Race: Built!
This is now the only major sports venue in the United States to be abandoned and restored for major sports again. WOW! Thank you to everyone working hard to bring this area back! When discussing the nation's greatest comeback stories, this thread should be a part of that discussion.

Video Link

Video Link

Thunderstorms on May 16:
Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Salem Bottling Works:
Permitting has started on the renovation of the former Coca-Cola Bottling Plant.

Grant Park Expansion Phase II: Built!
This phase is now completed.

Video Link

500 West 5th:
I think work on this building is completed? It's still on our projects list.

A nice look at the Renfro Headquarters space:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Crystal Towers Renovation:
Workers are currently replacing the elevators. Each elevator will take three months to replace. There also appears to be some asbestos abatement work happening, involving the building's original floor tiles.

Sentinel Commons:

The Journal's name was finally removed from the building... the newspaper's offices moved to their printing plant:

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Hanes Park Sports Facilities:
Construction on the football stadium is delayed by stormwater infrastructure that is located at the stadium site. They are preparing to make repairs to that stormwater infrastructure, before work can restart on the stadium.

New Biotechnology Jobs:

You may remember this from last month?
Video Link

Pilot Mountain Visitor Center: Built!
Remember this project? I don't think we had any construction photographs and this is the first completion photograph. Yes, it's built! It looks great!

Credit: Teresa Miller

NextEra Energy Water Recycling Plant:
NextEra Energy Resources will construct a wastewater recycling plant, capable of recycling over 60 million gallons a year. Construction will start later this year, with completion in Fall 2024.

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:
Work started on primering the exterior and work has started on the roof. What you see inside the attic is "not" blown-in insulation from the 1700s! That didn't exist back then. It's something far more disgusting...

This is what 2.5 inches (63.5mm) of animal feces looks like (in the attic):

Credit: stockburgerfarmhouse

Don't let that turn you away from restoring an old house!

Primering the exterior:

Sealing the roof:

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:
Work is now completed on Brennan Investment Group's 122,976 square-foot industrial/warehouse building. Contact Greater Winston-Salem at (336) 728-9200 if you're interested in leasing.

Credit: Scott Y.

Reynolds Auditorium Renovation:
Work is close to starting on upgrades to the house lighting, a replacement of the aisle lighting, spalling repair on the balcony, and replacement of the carpet. This building is 100 years old!

Morris Building:
Front Street Capital has acquired the site at East Third and Chestnut streets. This is where architect Frank Milburn's old 1904 Union Station was originally located, before it was replaced with a bigger train station in 1926. I'm guessing this is connected to the Morris Building project they are working on, across Fourth Street? I guess we shall soon see?

Truliant Headquarters Expansion: Built!
This project is now completed and workers have moved into the space. Did you know it has double-sided solar panels to capture direct sunlight and sunlight reflected from the white roof? It's the largest solar array in the Triad and among the largest in the Carolinas. It will also have bee hives, with all honey collected from the rooftop hives going to the local food bank.

Video Link

Video Link

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

Credit: Michael Sears

You can see the tower crane from the ballpark (31 seconds into the video):
Video Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoedigerHouse @ WSTB Forum
Brouwerij DuBois:
This craft beer brewery project will start construction this month, with completion set for September or October of 2023.

Ovation Sound:
"2 story live room and the last of 6 isolation booths painted! Two control rooms, a hallway, and bathrooms up next!" One of the more exciting projects in downtown's Arts District!

Credit: Laura Dangerfield Stevens

Credit: Ovation Sound

515 North Cherry Street: Built!

This project is now completed:

Credit: winstonwatchman

I'm guessing it was completed weeks ago, but without any announcements, visual completion confirmation, or other completion information, I can't officially declare it built.

Washington Park Renovation: Built!
This project is now completed. No photographs.

Novant Health Critical Care Center:
This project has topped-out. Completion is set for First Quarter 2025. The hospital is already talking about hiring clinicians, nurses and support staff for the new building. Speaking of workers, did you know this construction site averages 250 workers each day!

Credit: Novant Health

Video Link

Gateway Nature Preserve Observation Platform:
The Gateway Nature Preserve, on Broad Street at Salem Creek next to Washington Park, is preparing to build their $33,000 330 square-foot creek observation platform. The observation platform will also have signs telling the history of Salem Creek, the various animial species in and around the creek, and the signs will describe the creek's geology. I thought I posted on this before at SkyscraperPage, but can't seem to find it? Maybe I shared it at WSTB and not here?

Credit: Gateway Nature Preserve

Credit: Gateway Nature Preserve

Performing Arts Center:
The Arts Council acquired the last piece (they didn't own) of the site on the southwest corner of Spruce and Holly. I think they paid $318,000 for the site. Interestingly, they quickly sold the entire 0.88 acre assemblage to Randall Tuttle for $1.1 million.

New Tenants/Leases:
Casashanti - A Parlor of Magick and Wonder is a "Victorian Magical Parlor of Wonder" opening on Trade Street, in downtown Winston-Salem's Arts District. They have a "selection of Herbs, products, classes, crystals, clothing, books, tea, candles, statues, spiritual goods, and ritual items" It should open later this month.

Link Apartments 4th Street's space appears to have leased to a retailer, but I haven't heard who the tenant is.

There is talk Salem Tavern may have changed owners?

New Park:

Credit: Piedmont Land Conservancy

Commercial Finance Building:
Twisted Putter is now open. Twisted Putter is basically Puttshack under a different name. A tech-infused mini-golf course with food and drink.

Work has started on a roughly $40,000 covered outdoor stage, to be called "The Roar." That cost is for just the stage. This stage will host live music, under the stars, in downtown.

Work could be completed in a few weeks, when the e-sports venue opens?

Credit: Roar

The dog park and outdoor patio are now open:

Artreaux Apartments:

Credit: SYH Design

Credit: winstonwatchman

Credit: yGs1ol33DFw

East Tower:

Credit: Brandon Ore

Credit: Brandon Matthew Ore

View from a skyscraper in downtown (This photograph would have two tower cranes if photographed today):

Credit: ace_in_space

Alternative Transportation:

Amtrak at Union Station:
According to Mayor Pro Tempore Denise Adams, federal rail administrator, Amit Bose, said Winston-Salem is one of 10 or 12 other national cities being considered for passenger rail expansion. I think this is the USDOT Federal Railroad administration's Corridor Identification and Development Program? This could be an exciting project to follow.

North-South Rail Transit System:
The State Transportation Improvement Program's Strategic Transportation Investments law has a new process for prioritization called Prioritization 7.0. For Winston-Salem, this includes one rail transportation project and one aviation project.

Off-Subject:

Brushy Mountains:
Billionaire Tim Sweeny, founder of Epic Games (known for Fortnight), has joined with three others (including both the Foothills and Blue Ridge conservancies) to acquire and protect 1,125 acres of the Brushy Mountains. It's the region's apple country, due to the high elevation and great soil conditions for the trees. These are the mountains on the western-end of metro Winston-Salem.

NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament:
The NCAA Division I Baseball Selection Committee selected Winston-Salem as one of 16 regional hosts for the 2023 NCAA tournament.

Best Places to Live:
U.S. News 2023-2024 Best Places to Live list includes Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem scored well in quality of life, net migration, and job market. Net migration was up significantly from last year.

Wake Forest University has 22nd Best Law School:
U.S. News & World Report has the Wake Forest University School of Law ranked 22nd in the nation. Wake Forest University School of Law was 2nd in the Carolinas, only behind Duke University.

LGBTQIA+ Pride Theatre Festival:
This is live theatre over several days in June at the Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance in downtown Winston-Salem. Sponsored by Replacements, Ltd., and Tito's Handmade Vodka. See the Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance for more details.

Random Photographs:

Credit: adadcalledkyle

Video Link

Video Link

1 LOVE Festival:
Video Link

Winston-Salem's India Fest:
Video Link

Credit: innovationquarter

Video Link

Viewing downtown's IQ District from a music festival stage:
Video Link

Your City

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 6:24 PM

Nice update, Matthew. I didn’t know about the Pilot Mountain Visitors Center project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations