HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
Will there be a supertall skyscraper (just one) be built in the complex by 2030s? It should buy air rights and rise to about 1,042 feet tall.
Knowing the dimensions of the individual towers present in the project (millions of sq ft) and making a comparison with the New York Times Building (1,545,708 sq ft and 721 ft tall without the spire) you can evaluate that the heights of the towers may be greater than the images published so far.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 1:24 AM
New Yorker for life

CB5 meeting...

https://www.cb5.org/cb5m/calendar/20...on-environment

Quote:
TRANSPORTATION & ENVIRONMENT

Monday, May 24th, 2021, at 6:00pm

Presentation of the Scoping document for the Port Authority Bus Terminal Redevelopment Plan

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 8:41 PM
New Yorker for life

CB5 meeting...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 8:45 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

let's just hope the temporary structures don't become permanent.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 4:43 PM

First Chance For Public To Weigh In On Latest Port Authority Bus Terminal Plan Is This Week

BY STEPHEN NESSEN, WNYC
JUNE 21, 2021 5:01 A.M.

A rendering of the proposed new Port Authority Bus Terminal PORT AUTHORITY BUS TERMINAL

Quote:
The public will have a first chance this week to weigh on recently unveiled Port Authority bus terminal plans, during two virtual public hearings on Wednesday and Thursday. The $10 billion project is a major component of Governor Cuomo’s midtown redevelopment plan.

The public hearings come as some of the city’s workforce has slowly started returning to work in Manhattan office buildings. But many people continue to work remotely, and questions remain about what the future of office work in the city looks like, and when the city’s full workforce will return, if ever.

The new terminal would be built in the existing footprint of the current Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) at 42nd Street, and is expected to meet the demand of the current and expected number of buses. It’s also designed to accommodate the larger size of newer buses, which are the norm now, but were not when the current terminal was built more than 70 years ago. The project anticipates a future in which buses are electric and would require charging stations as well.
http://gothamist.com/news/first-chan...-terminal-plan

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 5:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
let's just hope the temporary structures don't become permanent.
Hopefully the funding doesn't dry up.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 9:47 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

I bet there should be a megatall skyscraper here.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 1:43 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is going to be one of those background projects. One that will take a long time I feel. Anything "Port Authority" related will take ages.

But I'd almost think of it like the Penn District. Just one of those background projects that will develop over the long run. Not Hudson Yards Phase I speed, but over the long run.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 9:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
This is going to be one of those background projects. One that will take a long time I feel. Anything "Port Authority" related will take ages.

But I'd almost think of it like the Penn District. Just one of those background projects that will develop over the long run. Not Hudson Yards Phase I speed, but over the long run.

I think this will move forward because Cuomo likes his big projects. That's for both the bus terminal and Penn Station. The office buildings that follow will be determined by the market, but when they are able to be leased, they will be built. All will be phased in.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 5:32 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.nj.com/news/2021/06/cons...t-in-2024.html

Construction on new Port Authority bus terminal could start in 2024

By Larry Higgs
June 24, 2021

Quote:
More details emerged about plans to build new Port Authority bus terminal to replace the current outmoded Midtown Manhattan facility emerged during the first day of public hearings on Wednesday, with a schedule to start construction as early as 2024.

“It will take eight years to build, starting in 2024 with a temporary bus terminal and ramps,” said Graham Trelstad, a consultant on the project for WSP. “It will open in 2028 and construction will begin in the main terminal.”
Quote:
That phase of the project will take another four years and plans call for a permanent bus terminal to open in 2031, he said. In addition, the temporary bus terminal will be converted to its permanent use as a terminal to get interstate buses off city streets that now make curbside passenger pick up, and for bus storage.

Core structures for four proposed towers to be built above the bus terminal would be included in the construction to be built out later, a technique the Port Authority used building the remaining World Trade Center towers after Tower One was built.

Three would be commercial towers and one would built for residential and mixed use.
Quote:
The public hearings are being held to satisfy Environmental Impact Statement requirements of the Federal Transit Administration, which could lead to federal funding for the bus terminal. A second Zoom public hearing will be held on Thursday and emailed and written comments will be taken on the project website until July 19.

Air quality and pollution remains a concern, both from the new terminal and from existing Lincoln Tunnel traffic gridlocked on 9th and 10th Avenues, she said. Neighbors also fear air pollution will get worse from traffic delayed during the project.

“The Port Authority should address this pollution, which has been here for the past 20 years and has become worse since COVID,” Berthet said. “They are a huge burden on (the) community’s quality of life.”

While the new terminal added interstate buses that now pick up on city streets, jitneys aren’t included in the new terminal and spill into neighborhood streets, she said.

“It is critical they have access (to the terminal),” Berthet said.

Finally she said the community board would like the height and mass of a proposed 60- to 70-story tower reduced.

Of course they would.

Quote:
No property would have to be condemned for the new terminal, answering a major concern from residential and business neighbors. It would provide five floors for buses and 160 passenger gates.

The new terminal design also includes infrastructure for future construction of four high-rise towers over portions of the new bus terminal that could help fund it, through sale of air rights and payments in lieu of taxes shared by the city with the authority. Federal funding also could be sought.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 6:51 PM

And what would be the tower that goes from 70 to 60 floors?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 4:55 PM
New Yorker for life

A little more on the overall scope of west side development….

https://w42st.com/post/manhattan-mid...plex-new-york/

Time to Have Your Say On the Future of Penn Station and “Manhattan Midtown West”

by Phil O'Brien

Quote:
In January, Governor Andrew Cuomo heralded a $51bn reimagining of Manhattan Midtown West that will “spread East to Broadway and West to the Hudson” — by March, that plan was being opposed by local politicians as “a real estate development plan, not a transportation plan.” Next week, residents will have their chance to get a say in the future of the area at a Virtual Town Hall.

Manhattan Community Board 4 (MCB4) Chair Lowell Kern encouraged locals to get involved, saying: “The Governor’s proposal has the potential to displace residents and business in the district, while also the potential to enhance the neighborhood for generations to come. We believe it is important the community learn more details of this plan now.”
Quote:
Cuomo announced the plan in his State of the State address at the start of the year. He said the project — which includes the redevelopment of the Javits Center, Port Authority Bus Terminal, Penn Station, and extensions of the High Line to the new Moynihan Train Hall and Pier 76 — would create almost 200,000 jobs.

The ambitious multi-billion dollar plan takes in 140 acres of Manhattan real estate and will include transit hubs and “new residential commercial and public works projects that will combine to form a new vibrant, exciting district,” he said. Cuomo’s first step is to deal with New York’s decaying transit hubs and push again for the delayed Gateway Project to deliver new train tunnels between Manhattan and New Jersey.
Quote:
The Governor has since delivered the new development at the Javits Center, which has increased capacity by 50%.

He’s also created a 5-acre open space at Pier 76, replacing the NYPD Tow Pound. “Pier 76 is probably the most under-utilized piece of real estate in New York City. After decades of apathy, the pier will become a magnificent public space that will delight visitors and tourists and welcome all of Manhattan,” he commented in January.

Cuomo’s overall plan for the west side involves “another New York city eyesore, the Port Authority Bus Complex.” At the end of June, Town Halls were held by Port Authority to outline their proposals for the terminal to Hell’s Kitchen residents.
Quote:
He plans to thread all this together by extensions of the High Line to “make this a walkable, enjoyable part of Manhattan,” he said. Phase one will connect the High Line to the new Moynihan Train Hall by extending “eastward from 10th Avenue and 30th street through the Brookfield properties, creating a 1,200 foot path.” The state is studying a proposed phase two, in which the High Line will push northward and connect Pier 76 with a pedestrian bridge across the West Side Highway.
Quote:
Part of the $51bn funding will come from making 14 building sites available that will yield 20 million square feet of retail, commercial and residential development. Cuomo emphasized that the “priority will be to use these sites for affordable housing, creating up to 1,400 much-needed units.

“In total, these West Side projects represent $51bn in investment and 196,000 jobs. Even more. They will show New Yorkers and the world that a new New York city is in reach and that the future is bright,” he added during his State of the State speech.
Quote:
Some of the proposed towers are so-called “supertalls” of up to 1,300 feet that would block views of the Empire State Building and cast large shadows over much of midtown.

“The ‘Complex’ would cause myriad adverse impacts: from sidewalk overcrowding, shadows, and the demolition of entire city blocks, to the obstruction of views of the Empire State Building. The state treats these issues as if they are a ripple in the midst of a tsunami of development. They are fully aware of all the impacts, yet they propose no mitigation,” said Kern and Law-Gisiko.

LeFrancois warned at the MCB4 Executive Committee in March that If the plan moves forward: “It will only make the area more dangerous, crowded, and we could add the Empire Station Complex plan to the list of planning failures for the city and the state.”

Empire State Development plans to present and discuss the proposed Empire Station Complex project at the Town Hall on Thursday, July 15 at 6pm via Zoom.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 1:02 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.amny.com/transit/gov-hoc...oup-breakfast/

Hochul boosts Cuomo-era transit mega projects at construction trade group breakfast

By Kevin Duggan
October 14, 2021

Quote:
Governor Kathy Hochul vowed to continue several mass transit mega-projects first proposed by her predecessor Andrew Cuomo at a construction trade group event Thursday morning, Oct. 14.

“As your governor, I’m going to make sure that we have a world-class transportation system going forward in the future. We’re not done building, we’re just getting started,” Hochul told the New York Building Congress at a breakfast event in Midtown. “Our rail, our highways, our airport infrastructure, we’re just getting warmed up.”

After hitting the brakes on the controversial LaGuardia AirTrain project earlier this week, the chief executive promised the influential building industry association that she will move ahead with big proposals pushed by the disgraced ex-governor, including an overhaul of the Port Authority Bus Terminal and an expansion and redevelopment of Penn Station.
Quote:
“My friends we have to fix this. This is New York, this is not a third-world country, let’s get rid of that eyesore and make it something magnificent that people are so proud of,” Hochul said of the Midtown bus hub.

“And the same with Penn Station. That is one scary place my friends, let’s get that done,” she said. “I brought my daughter up there not long ago, I said, ‘Sweetheart I hope I see you again, I’ve enjoyed being your mom.’”

Hochul teased her January 2022 State of the State address for more projects the state plans to undertake.

“When you see my State of the State address, I hope you have this sense of ‘Wow, that’s awesome. That is incredible what we’re going to do,’” the governor said.
Quote:
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey unveiled its $10 billion revamp of the world’s busiest bus terminal in January of this year, with plans to install charging infrastructure and move to an all-electric fleet, while increasing rider capacity by 40%.

For Penn Station, former Governor Cuomo announced in his 2020 State of the State address the huge $306 billion construction project dubbed Empire Station Complex by the state’s Empire State Development to expand the train mecca and erect 10 skyscrapers in a two-block radius around it, dubbing the newly-created commercial area the “Penn District.”

The latter scheme has drawn criticism from preservationists who have called on the state to save several old buildings within the project’s scope from the wrecking ball, such as the century-old Hotel Pennsylvania.

Hochul’s announcements come just two days after the Port Authority officially hit pause on its contested $2.1 billion AirTrain proposal for LaGuardia Airport Tuesday after the governor asked them to review alternative mass transit options.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 1:04 AM
Show me the blueprints

I like this lady.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 8:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Just something to look at….

https://mobile.twitter.com/parametri...51444141731848

Quote:
Archilier Architecture’s (
@Archilier_NYC
) proposal for Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York created a new civic landmark that urbanistically knits together historic Hell’s Kitchen and the emerging Hudson Yards district, replacing what is now a vehicular ‘no-man’s-land’.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 3:45 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Parametric Architecture is one of my favorite Instagram accounts to follow. This looks pretty amazing, in my opinion. While Archilier doesn't have the greatest record in NYC (nothing built to date that I can see), some of the work they've done in China is pretty cool, especially the St. Regis complex in Shandong, which flew under all of our radar here at SSP (but likely got some love on SSC).
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 4:42 AM
New Yorker for life

Another look at it. I hope the final design can be something as pleasing to look at.

https://archilier.com/projects/port-...-bus-terminal/

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 5:41 AM

This is amazing, hopefully they can execute on this!
And as an added bonus, it will help fill up this area to balance Midtown east along with the Penn Station Towers.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 2:42 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Wow. So futuristic.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 8:15 AM
Walk taker

Vaporware, sadly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals