HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layrasm View Post
Discrediting somebody's opinion as a joke because it doesn't align with yours is the real joke. I see a lot of that on this board. Opinions are subjective, not factual. While I don't agree that the COB is a pretty building in any sense, let's have some respect.
Agreed.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 10:13 PM
of SLC

Quote:
Discrediting somebody's opinion as a joke because it doesn't align with yours is the real joke. I see a lot of that on this board. Opinions are subjective, not factual. While I don't agree that the COB is a pretty building in any sense, let's have some respect.
Well said.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Ditto to that!! A subjective opinion we should all try to live up to. Also, a very big welcome to Felixg. Please post often.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 10:58 PM
BANNED

I agree that the COB definitely needs a new skin. As mentioned I assume it’d be something similar as to what the skin on the Zions Bank building looks like after its renovation.

I would love to see a tower rise directly to the east of Harmons. I believe there are construction trailers and equipment currently on the land as of now.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 11:44 PM
The Drifter

I don't live too far from this building in Taylorsville and drive past it a few times a month. For a while, there were shoots coming from the end of the building into dumpsters as they were remodeling the inside. That all seems to be finished now and the parking lot is pretty full of cars. I would say many if not all of the offices moving to the old American Express building have done so. I wouldn't be surprised if the north building up at the capitol is slated for demolition soon and we could see the new building going up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPolitico View Post
The Legislature appropriated $110,000,000 toward this project in 2019, with the first $250,000 to be spent by the Capitol Preservation Board and others to create the plan for the site, as well as plans for the agencies currently housed there. I know that the Insurance Department is about to move to the old American Express building but haven’t heard anything about new plans for parking or the North Building up at the Capitol Complex. Anyone heard anything?

Edit: Just saw that $30,000,000 of that $110m was spent buying the old American Express building. https://www.deseret.com/2019/5/14/20...n-taylorsville

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 4:09 AM

Well, it looks like they'll be demolishing the north annex pretty soon, but there's no word as to what if anything will replace it immediately. They'll probably use it as extra parking and landscape it for the time being.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixg View Post
Hello everybody I’ve frequented this page for over a year now and have decided it’s finally time to make an account!

I don’t mean to pontificate but I must side with palmloverking here— midcentury/international architecture absolutely has all the charm and beauty of deco or anything else preceding it, and especially as both those qualities are entirely subjective. Charm isn’t something that universally looks the same, it’s unique to interesting or good examples of architecture from any era. I too remember driving past the COB in awe as a little kid, I still do to this day, it reminds me of federal buildings in Los Angeles.

Part of this might have to do with age, I’m under 20 years old so naturally modernist styles have characterized and long preceded my own childhood. I was born about 40 years after this style really began to die, just as it seems many of its critics were born about 40 years after the neogothic, classical, and deco styles of the 1920s. I’m not meaning to assume how old you are bob rulz, I’m just offering a possible explanation for our differing views of the same style. I personally happen to dislike the weird postmodern architecture we see in the One Utah Center or Wells Fargo Building, this rationale would explain that also. But I don’t think postmodern buildings don’t have “charm”. I think they’re eclectic and feel that I don’t understand their intention, but I trust somebody else does and feel open to understanding what makes them unique
Welcome, Felixg!

You stated this wonderfully, and I think your hypothesis for the polarized opinions on COB is sound. I was born in ’99 myself, and I first discovered skyscraper page forums when I was 7 or 8. Having kept an eye on the world of high-rise architecture over the internet since the late 2000’s, I have definitely grown tired of some of the redundant and overused themes of my time, an era of squeaky clean all-glass facades. I think my response naturally has been a yearning and appreciation for 20th-century styles, pre-1980’s for the most part.

Because of this, I can somewhat sympathize with the fact that what some 2000’s towers are for me, might be what 60’s and 70’s brutalist towers are to many of the forumers on here who are a little older than I am. With that being said, I think mine and felixg’s coming from the same generation and sharing mutual sentiment over the Church Office Building would testify against the following notion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post

I don't think there will be the same such appreciation for this architecture in 50 years as there is for early-century or 19th century architecture today.
The COB is already appreciated by younger generations who are too young to recall any memory of the 20th century, and I'm willing to bet the appreciation is only going to deepen in subsequent generations if it's left alone.

In any sense, the point of my statement was not that the Church Office Building is the apex of all skyscraper design, despite how much I personally enjoy it, my point was that I think city skylines should be allowed to remain eclectic, varied, and show their history. Are there buildings in Salt Lake City and other U.S. cities that I think are hideous? Of course, like the handful of 1980’s squatty tan buildings with black windows that resemble parking garages east of state street in SLC. Despite not finding charm in them, I would much rather time, energy, and money be put into new high-rise developments around these buildings that one by one make individual “ugly” buildings less conspicuous in the skyline, than to see those buildings demolished or altered. Sometimes things age a lot better than you think they will, and taste in high-rise style is like previously stated, highly, highly subjective. I definitely have to put in effort to keep my mouth clamped about the glass-dominated towers that seem to be stuck with us for eternity. I’m sure “this is ugly and outdated anyways” is exactly what 20th-century developers told themselves when they bulldozed 19th-century buildings in SLC to build parking structures. I think it’s okay for ugly buildings to exist, especially in a place like Salt Lake City where nothing is taller than 500 feet yet and half the city is still a parking lot. Given SLC’s rapid growth and high prospects for the future, I think there’s plenty of opportunity for everyone’s most hated buildings to be covered up and obscured in the sea of future high rises.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 5:47 PM

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/2/...ry-legislature

Happy to read that double-tracking frontrunner is one of the objectives of UTA in this proposal.

The last several times I've used frontrunner the train's been over half an hour late. The last time was just about a month ago when I had gone up from Orem to drive around SLC with my buddy and check out all the new developments. Later in the evening when it was time to head back home, temps were in the low 20's and the train was nearly 40 minutes late, and I always arrive at least 10 minutes early, it was slightly miserable haha.

The trip from Orem to SLC is an absolutely beautiful ride, especially if you sit on the second story on the west-facing side of the train, you ride right up against the shores of the Utah lake, Jordan river, rolling foothills of the Oquirrhs, and the awesome backdrop of the Wasatch mountains out the east window for the duration of the ride. Serious potential to be one of the nicest and most inviting metro systems in the U.S. for daily commute.

Unfortunately, the frontrunner has proven to be completely unusable for any travel requiring punctuality, I would not consider it if I needed it to travel to work or school, the hour intervals for most of the day plus the tendency to be late is just undoable. Because of this, I think a double track is imperative. I hope it happens sooner rather than later

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 9:47 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
I think when someone makes a really outlandish opinion, it's okay to discredit it. Stating you find the COB to be a great example of an under-utilized style in Salt Lake is one thing. Claiming you'll up and leave the city if the COB is ever reclad is just patently absurd. As upset as I get over Salt Lake destroying a significant amount of its architecture, I would expect to be called out if I said I was going to relocate out of the city since they're demolishing the block with the Tavernacle.

Speaking of continued destroying of Salt Lake's historic fabric, these houses are slated for demolition on 200 S, Lincoln Street:

I couldn't be more sick about this.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Those are great looking houses. Do we know what’s replacing them yet?

This is random and off topic, but does anyone know what forum region on this website I could find the Las Vegas development forum? There’s so much construction and things happening in Vegas that you’d think there would be discussions about it all. Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 11:18 PM

I apologize if my statement offended anybody. I maybe got carried away in my opinion. I think it was more of a reaction to the sentiment that one would "pack up and leave" if the COB was reclad, as that seems pretty extreme.

I am a young person. I'm in school right now! But I definitely fail to see the appeal of that style of architecture. Having said that, I should know that architecture taste is subjective. I do agree that it's fine to have some "ugly" buildings, and I do appreciate that Salt Lake's skyscrapers come from pretty diverse eras and so represent most of the major skyscraper building styles - albeit short examples compared to other cities.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I apologize if my statement offended anybody. I maybe got carried away in my opinion. I think it was more of a reaction to the sentiment that one would "pack up and leave" if the COB was reclad, as that seems pretty extreme.

I am a young person. I'm in school right now! But I definitely fail to see the appeal of that style of architecture. Having said that, I should know that architecture taste is subjective. I do agree that it's fine to have some "ugly" buildings, and I do appreciate that Salt Lake's skyscrapers come from pretty diverse eras and so represent most of the major skyscraper building styles - albeit short examples compared to other cities.
I don’t think you need to apologize. People choose to be offended. At the end of the day, this forum is just sharing opinions and thoughts. It’s not life and death and people’s feelings shouldn’t be hurt over someone else’s opinion. If that is the case then the offended has bigger things they need to worry about. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that doesn’t mean it’s accurate or factual.

Last edited by Waimea; Feb 28, 2021 at 8:13 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 1:16 AM
Let It Rise!

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I think when someone makes a really outlandish opinion, it's okay to discredit it. Stating you find the COB to be a great example of an under-utilized style in Salt Lake is one thing. Claiming you'll up and leave the city if the COB is ever reclad is just patently absurd. As upset as I get over Salt Lake destroying a significant amount of its architecture, I would expect to be called out if I said I was going to relocate out of the city since they're demolishing the block with the Tavernacle.

While not at all outlandish, my statement was indeed a melodramatic one, in response to a long chain of dogmatic negative opinions from multiple users about a building that myself and others feel positively about. Bob rulz and everyone else are always more than welcomed to counter my thoughts with their own when they disagree, just bare in mind that when you take the shallow route of trying to dismiss someone's opinion by calling it a joke or outlandish, it will never be as well received as when you take the time to use compelling rhetoric to convey a point. If you see my original statement regarding the church office building, you'll note I conveyed my opinion without targeting anyone in particular with invalidating language because their opinion wasn't the same as mine. There's a big difference between "calling someone out" with a dismissive word or two, and taking the time to have a forum discussion. I think this difference is what struck a nerve in so many. Don't be surprised when simply trying to dismiss someone's opinion isn't as well received as providing a valid counter argument.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 7:32 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmloverking View Post
While not at all outlandish, my statement was indeed a melodramatic one, in response to a long chain of dogmatic negative opinions from multiple users about a building that myself and others feel positively about. Bob rulz and everyone else are always more than welcomed to counter my thoughts with their own when they disagree, just bare in mind that when you take the shallow route of trying to dismiss someone's opinion by calling it a joke or outlandish, it will never be as well received as when you take the time to use compelling rhetoric to convey a point. If you see my original statement regarding the church office building, you'll note I conveyed my opinion without targeting anyone in particular with invalidating language because their opinion wasn't the same as mine. There's a big difference between "calling someone out" with a dismissive word or two, and taking the time to have a forum discussion. I think this difference is what struck a nerve in so many. Don't be surprised when simply trying to dismiss someone's opinion isn't as well received as providing a valid counter argument.

I've had my opinion dismissed all the time. I really don't care. Yes, I find it outlandish to suggest you'll leave the state of Utah if the COB is reclad. You can call it being melodramatic but, really, it's all the same to me: you aren't being serious and if you aren't being serious, don't expect people to take your opinion seriously.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 8:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I've had my opinion dismissed all the time. I really don't care. Yes, I find it outlandish to suggest you'll leave the state of Utah if the COB is reclad. You can call it being melodramatic but, really, it's all the same to me: you aren't being serious and if you aren't being serious, don't expect people to take your opinion seriously.
Just curious, if you are stating you “really don’t care”, then why do you continue trying to state your argument and point of view by saying who and what can be taken serious?

Last edited by Waimea; Feb 28, 2021 at 8:27 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 10:55 AM

Bumper House - SLC Design Review

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 1050 S. Washington Street
Applicant/Developer: SMH Builders

The 'second phase' of the Chrome Works project has filed for a design review.

Bumper House, directly south of Chrome Works, will have 287 residential units and will stand 7 floors tall (2 floors podium parking & 5 floors wood-frame residential).

Application Objective:
Quote:
As originally conceived, the multifamily projects at 1050 S Washington was to be a height of 60 feet, conforming to CG zoning code. Recently, we learned that environmental concerns are suggesting that our planned basement parking may not be advisable, due to the water table level, therefore we are requesting Design Review to approve that we raise the building height from 60 to 66 feet. While this is permitted for our CG zoning, exceeding a height of 60’ requires design review.

This approach would put the first level at ‐1’‐0 and the bottom of our 3’ matt slab at ‐4’‐0, which is ideal because the first 4’ of soil is organic and has to be removed no matter. If the water table is at ‐6’‐0 (it is probably lower) our vapor mitigation system located right under the slab would be well above the water table. And we would never have any water in our site drainage system and hence no monitoring costs. The vapor mitigation and site drainage might be able to be combined into one.
Project Description:
Quote:
1050 S Washington is a proposed 287‐unit multifamily building. Parking will be provided in the 2:1 ration mandated by CG zoning. The project is composed of studio, one bedroom and two‐bedroom micro units. There are 236 studios, 173 of which have 383 square feet, although studios range in size from 319 square feet to 454 square feet; One‐bedroom units total 20, with a range from 426 to 456 square feet. Two‐bedroom units total 31, with seven units of 608 square feet, ranging from 562 to 637 square feet.

The project will have two levels of concrete podium providing parking, lobby and residential units. Five stories of wood‐frame construction will be constructed above the podium, comprised of residential units and community space on the rooftop. Exterior construction materials combine an attractive mix of Mineral fiber siding, stucco and metal panels.

Project Rendering (I believe that is also Chrome Works in the background (they look almost connected, but they aren't))

Project Rendering & Mural

Site Plan

Zoning and Vicinity Map

Additional Vicinity Map with Chrome Works

Elevations

As mentioned, this will be co-developed with Chrome Works, which is adding 234 residential units directly north of Bumper House. This makes a total of 521 new residential units being added to the area.
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/two...n-in-ballpark/
https://www.slc.gov/planning/2020/08/25/chrome-works/

Chrome Works rendering (I think that is older design for Bumper House visible in the background, appearing to almost be connected, but they aren't)

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Feb 28, 2021 at 12:11 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 7:01 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waimea View Post
Just curious, if you are stating you “really don’t care”, then why do you continue trying to state your argument and point of view by saying who and what can be taken serious?
I don't understand the question? My not caring doesn't mean I still won't debate the merits of a post. I just don't care if people call me ridiculous for my opinions, which I admit are probably the minority a lot of the time and frankly, if I made a ridiculous point, I kind of expect to be called ridiculous.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 7:11 PM

Please stop

We get it you guys don’t really care about what the other thinks. Please stop. This petty bickering reminds me of when I used to manage a focus-group message board for a large retailer. Drama drama drama.

Quote:
I don't understand the question? My not caring doesn't mean I still won't debate the merits of a post. I just don't care if people call me ridiculous for my opinions, which I admit are probably the minority a lot of the time and frankly, if I made a ridiculous point, I kind of expect to be called ridiculous.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 8:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It’s not a question. It’s pointing out that you really do care because you continued to gripe about what’s a valid opinion compared to yours. You definitely come across as one of the most pretentious people on this forum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West