3/25 drone video
Video Link

epicsaurus1 on Instagram

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 10:21 PM

Unique view from the web cam on top of the Hilton on O'Farrell

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 10:39 PM

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 5:59 PM
Surrounded by Nature

I think a lot of us are surprised by how intricate the crown is turning out to be. Who knew that the top of it would be so complexly laced?

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 29, 2017 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 9:07 PM

Last edited by Justbuildit; Mar 29, 2017 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:13 PM

Still has more up to go? Maybe 30 more feet?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Still has more up to go? Maybe 30 more feet?
No--this is it I am fairly sure except for whatever additional height the metal screen covering the framing might add (3 or 4 ft?--if they are decking the top in some way as it appears they might be, then maybe the height of a handrail). And remember, they said, we were told, that they announced the last bit of framing would go in on April 6--next Thursday. Not enough time to complete the level of framing they are now doing and another I wouldn't think. And finally, what is there is consistent with the close-up rendering of the top (I no longer think it should be called a "crown") that has been posted several times.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I think a lot of us are surprised by how intricate the crown is turning out to be. Who knew that the top of it would be so complexly laced?
Yes, it does seem overly complicated. Pretty cool, though.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:55 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSPTN8RjBdG/

Is that AC fans I see? Didn't know they needed AC in San Francisco. Every time I go there I need a sweater even in the summer time. Isn't it actually warmer there in the winter than in the summer I heard someone say?

Last edited by Justbuildit; Mar 30, 2017 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 7:10 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
...a nice picture of the installation of the cooling towers on the roof over the weekend. They are massive!

@murtagh_danny on Twitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbuildit View Post
Is that AC fans I see? Didn't know they needed AC in San Francisco. Every time I go there I need a sweater even in the summer time. Isn't it actually warmer there in the winter than in the summer I heard someone say?
Look at 50 Fremont below in your photo as well as the Foundry Square buildings above the tower too. We can have some very warm days, especially during the fall months.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbuildit View Post
Very few private homes have A/C (except the rare window unit) but a lot of commercial spaces do. Salesforce Tower will have A/C certainly but the load on the system should be minimal:

Quote:
Green features will include Hines’ patented floor-by-floor air intake system with high-efficiency air handlers providing significant natural ventilation, plus Under-Floor Air Distribution (UFAD) to enhance indoor air quality, tenant comfort and zone controllability while greatly reducing HVAC and fan-horsepower energy usage. Low-emissivity glass will also be utilized to reduce cooling load while increasing energy and light transmission performance, and 10-foot floor-to-ceiling windows will afford excellent natural daylight and truly spectacular views.
https://www.hines.com/case-studies/salesforce-tower

We generally get 2 or 3 really hot (90+ degree F) days during the summer, most often in June or September. It isn't true that winter is warmer than summer in terms of mean temps but in July and August it can feel frigid as the "marine layer" (aka fog bank) rolls in and the wind howls late in the afternoon (that's what makes these roof decks and large balconies on new buildings like Park Tower such a joke IMHO).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 7:58 PM
Build Baby Build

Many new buildings have A/C also, like 100 Van Ness and L Seven.

I kind of want A/C this week. Facing South can warm up any apartment, regardless of the month. Right now (1PM) is T-shirt weather...depending on where you are in the city, and it will be 70 this weekend.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 8:17 PM

^^100 Van Ness, of course, was built and functioned as an office building for decades before being converted. I'm not sure if the new towers being built as residential have A/C or not--do you know? You are right they might need it with all glass exterior walls (albeit tinted glass)--but probably only if they face south or west except a few days a year.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 8:34 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^100 Van Ness, of course, was built and functioned as an office building for decades before being converted. I'm not sure if the new towers being built as residential have A/C or not--do you know? You are right they might need it with all glass exterior walls (albeit tinted glass)--but probably only if they face south or west except a few days a year.
Yes--the developers made a point of saying they were retaining the air conditioning system from the office building.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 11:31 PM
SimCity World Champ

For all intents and purposes, the structural steel for the crown appears complete as of today. I wonder what will take another week to install?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 11:38 PM

So they are putting up a railing on the top--could it be that don and other observation-obsessed folks really will be able to stand on the very top?

http://www.salesforcetower.com/cam

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 12:37 AM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
So they are putting up a railing on the top--could it be that don and other observation-obsessed folks really will be able to stand on the very top?

http://www.salesforcetower.com/cam
Anything at the top of this building will be for building workers and not regular people.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Anything at the top of this building will be for building workers and not regular people.
Er, tongue was in my cheek. However, the fact that it is routinely for workers doesn't mean regular folks can't get there if anyone can. Regular folks don't climb the Golden Gate Bridge towers but I have had the opportunity to do so (I'm a little acrophobic and passed).

http://www.rpechner.com/Bridges/Gold...idge/i-RvD2VdD

My chance came as part of an occupational medicine study of bridge workers and their "issues".

Someone wanting very, very much to get to the top of that building, if there is a similar "perch" for workers, might find a way.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 2:48 AM

Air Cooling Systems - The air coolers are more for getting the heat out of the office rather than keeping the offices cool from heat on the outside. Lots of heat is created by lights, people and machines in the office environment.

NEMA across the street from where I live does not have air conditioned apartments. One Rincon, which I have visited several times, does have air conditioning piped into the condos. The Fox Plaza apartments do not have air conditioning, but the office floors do.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 6:07 PM
Build Baby Build

I remember when I lived at NEMA there were couples facing South that were livid because their apartments would get to 80+ degrees with full sun, and even with windows open and fans on their apartments were piping hot. Probably why Jasper has A/C. Considering the 750 units with ~ $3,850 monthly rates pull in over $30 million annually, it is an extremely cheap decision to not include A/C in these big buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture