HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:56 AM
ARTchitecture

Newest renders for The Orchard, directly adjacent to Stampede Park.

The apple trees in the public "orchard" will be edible, with varieties September Ruby and Parkland making up the population.

http://www.theorchardcalgary.com/home

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Newest renders for The Orchard, directly adjacent to Stampede Park.

The apple trees in the public "orchard" will be edible, with varieties September Ruby and Parkland making up the population.

http://www.theorchardcalgary.com/home
I have to say I'm really not a fan of what they've done with the apple orchard on this project. To me it just feels like a way of naturally shutting off the buildings from the street and the public. All the pathways through the orchard run north/south but there is a midrise building on the northern edge of the site that connects the two towers so that pedestrians can't actually use the orchard as a cut through. You would essentially have to walk along the side walk, decide you wanted to go into the orchard for the sole purpose of going into the orchard, pick your pathway, walk straight down it, stand in the trees (as there doesn't appear to be any benches anywhere other than the sidewalk) and then walk straight back down the pathway you just came up to continue your journey along the sidewalk.

What I think would be a dramatic improvement to the project is if they took out a few trees and put in an 'arched' pathway that would start at the sidewalk where the eastern tower meets the orchard, and curve away from (but parallel to) the sidewalk towards the middle of the orchard. At the apex of the arch and essentially in the middle of the orchard there could be a small public space with several benches surrounding some form of public art or a water feature. The pathway would then continue west from this feature and curve back down to meet the sidewalk where the west tower meets the orchard. To me, this would open the space up to the public and encourage people to explore it as part of their journey.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 1:38 PM

That pool is probably going to look even smaller in real life. Kind of a goofy idea.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
You would essentially have to walk along the side walk, decide you wanted to go into the orchard for the sole purpose of going into the orchard, pick your pathway, walk straight down it, stand in the trees (as there doesn't appear to be any benches anywhere other than the sidewalk) and then walk straight back down the pathway you just came up to continue your journey along the sidewalk.
Don't disagree it could've been done better, but it does appear that there are benches throughout the whole orchard, as well as some cut-throughs, so you don't have to just walk up and down one lane. You can see this a bit in the 3rd and 5th pictures in Chads post.

I do like the idea of a public space like this…I'm not sure how effective it will be in reality, but it's an interesting concept nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
That pool is probably going to look even smaller in real life. Kind of a goofy idea.
That does look a little too tiny to be useful...not sure why it needs to be so thin considering they do have a lot of space to work with. At the very least, it would be neat if it was more of longer lane pool, but at the moment it looks like a glorified hot tub.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:10 PM
ARTchitecture

Here's what it looks like inside the orchard... hopefully the brown is actually grass. Would be a nice place to relax and read or something. However, that in itself may attract undesirables, sleeping there and stuff.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:17 PM

The whole orchard idea seems a bit stupid to me to begin with. It would be better to have a proper podium between the two towers.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:20 PM
Fake News

Not sure why Lamb's obsessed with adding kiddie pools to all his projects here. Reminds me of the one on 6th and 10th. IMO in our climate this is a waste to begin with, but if you're going to do it at least make it full size. I bet the condo board ends up scrapping it in time.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
The whole orchard idea seems a bit stupid to me to begin with. It would be better to have a proper podium between the two towers.
Based on the article, it was a requirement to have something unique (ie - an orchard) in order to get the density needed to build these

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 5:37 PM

Don't mind the orchard aspect, neat that a two-tower condo development doesn't have a podium - breaking away from the trend .. However the entire space has to be trees? Would be better if there was a decently sized greenspace right in the middle surrounded by the trees ... It could offer a nice exclusive quiet area area away from the street

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
...What I think would be a dramatic improvement to the project is if they took out a few trees and put in an 'arched' pathway that would start at the sidewalk where the eastern tower meets the orchard, and curve away from (but parallel to) the sidewalk towards the middle of the orchard. At the apex of the arch and essentially in the middle of the orchard there could be a small public space with several benches surrounding some form of public art or a water feature. The pathway would then continue west from this feature and curve back down to meet the sidewalk where the west tower meets the orchard. To me, this would open the space up to the public and encourage people to explore it as part of their journey.
This sounds like a way better idea. Is the proposed orchard a done deal or can your idea still be presented for the developer's/city's consideration?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 2:56 AM
BANNED

That Orchard proposal is a clean filler, but nothing special. This combined with the low land price BL paid for the periphery site should be reflected in the selling price points, or this project is going to be sitting in limbo for a long time.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:06 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
That Orchard proposal is a clean filler, but nothing special. This combined with the low land price BL paid for the periphery site should be reflected in the selling price points, or this project is going to be sitting in limbo for a long time.
Based on what we've seen so far I expect to see 300 sf bachelor suites with terrible layouts starting in the 300-400's. It's next to the Stampede guys! Forget the fact there's a bus barn next door and miles of desolate asphalt all around. It's in the centre of everything!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:48 AM

Orchard.... Yawn! The best part of the proposal are the apple trees in the plaza!!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:25 AM

If 'The Orchard's' sales slogan isn't "How do you like them apples?" I am going to be severely disappointed

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:34 AM

I want to see what's on the north side of the orchard. It would be nice to have retail on that side. If they decide to have the new arena on that empty lot beside it would be nice to have some retail on that street instead of just apple trees :p

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:49 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
I want to see what's on the north side of the orchard. It would be nice to have retail on that side. If they decide to have the new arena on that empty lot beside it would be nice to have some retail on that street instead of just apple trees :p
Right now it is a row of houses that may have various owners and the Beach sound studio that has been there for a long time and not likely to move. North of 11th Ave is the proposed Railtown by Remington which will likely have retail.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Is that a passenger train?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 5:05 AM

OMG - not 100% totally accurate rendering police! ^^^

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 5:14 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
If 'The Orchard's' sales slogan isn't "How do you like them apples?" I am going to be severely disappointed
If not, make sure that any complaint on any internet site about the condo gets that as a reply.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 5:18 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Right now it is a row of houses that may have various owners and the Beach sound studio that has been there for a long time and not likely to move. North of 11th Ave is the proposed Railtown by Remington which will likely have retail.
Actually the row of houses is on the block to the west, the Orchard block is this block

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=51.041338...03484&t=h&z=19

I believe only that apartment at the North West corner will remain. Too bad that apartment wasn't a more interesting building, maybe the owner will spruce it up once it's part of a shiny new condo block.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates