HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It seems normal to us because we're used to it, but I would imagine that to anyone not from Manitoba it would be crazy that you could have such a large urban neighbourhood and absolutely nowhere to buy cold beer.
What's wrong with buying it at the LC? (Serious question, I'm not from Manitoba and I just automatically head to a liquor store if I want beer. Is there something better about a vendor?)

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
What's wrong with buying it at the LC? (Serious question, I'm not from Manitoba and I just automatically head to a liquor store if I want beer. Is there something better about a vendor?)
The LC can only carry individual cans/bottles of cold beer, I believe. They have cases, but they're all unrefrigerated. At the vendor you can grab a cold case of whatever they have.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediger View Post
The LC can only carry individual cans/bottles of cold beer, I believe. They have cases, but they're all unrefrigerated. At the vendor you can grab a cold case of whatever they have.
Now I know. Thanks! My beer-buying is usually on a small scale so I didn't notice the absence of refrigerated cases.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
2:30 am

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediger View Post
Where does the 2L of beer fall? Refrigerated or not?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 12:35 AM

The government could update its antiquated liquor laws so beer vendors do not have to be located on hotel property.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
The government could update its antiquated liquor laws so beer vendors do not have to be located on hotel property.
You should approach them about this. Talk to your MLA or start a petition.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Now I know. Thanks! My beer-buying is usually on a small scale so I didn't notice the absence of refrigerated cases.
Same here. Unless I'm stocking up for a weekend or something, the LC is usually suitable. A number of them have renovated recently to add more fridge space so they'll have a pretty decent selection of cold beer. The River & Osborne LC hasn't added any fridges though, so in combination with the lack of a vendor in the village, cold beer can be hard to come by on a Friday evening around there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Where does the 2L of beer fall? Refrigerated or not?
I don't believe the LC keeps the Stone Cold, well, cold. Can't say as though I've ever checked however.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
You should approach them about this. Talk to your MLA or start a petition.
I don’t drink so In the end I don’t really care that much either way where people get their beer from.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:32 PM

Beers usually a tad more expensive at the vendors due to being in the fridge. LC saves you some cash if you can handle taking home the warm beer and refrigerating it. We're talking a buck or two.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Beers usually a tad more expensive at the vendors due to being in the fridge. LC saves you some cash if you can handle taking home the warm beer and refrigerating it. We're talking a buck or two.
There is one set price province wide.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:10 PM

Really? I swear beer was cheaper at the LC than the vendor. They don't display taxes at the LC in the sticker price.

This is one thing I dislike. Government controlling this shit way too much. The effing government "hey your beer is this much cause I said so."

Is it a minimum price? How do say TNSE sell beer for $10 per? Different rules?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:17 PM

I seldom buy cases of beer, but I was also under the impression that they were slightly cheaper at the LC.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:35 PM
the first stamp is free

I think it may be a case of how the price is labelled. I could be wrong, but doesn't the LC add in the cost of the empties at the till, and list the price sans deposit on the shelves?

Maybe its the LCBO I am thinking about...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 9:01 PM

I'll pay more attention next time.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 9:12 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Really? I swear beer was cheaper at the LC than the vendor. They don't display taxes at the LC in the sticker price.

This is one thing I dislike. Government controlling this shit way too much. The effing government "hey your beer is this much cause I said so."

It is a government regulated price for retailers. So, essentially, any store that sells liquor in the retail sense can only charge the same predetermined price. What's worse is that there are a handful of standalone stores who sell liquor, and they can only sell the liquor at the dictated price too. This means that if they buy a shipment of whiskey from the government to sell in their store, they can only charge what they're authorized to charge, which means that if a sale is declared on the item, they are compelled to sell the item at a loss since the margins are pretty low due to tax.

Places that serve alcohol also have price controls, more in the sense of having a minimum price on a drink. So technically you are by law compelled to keep your prices above a certain threshold. You run afoul the law if you try to have a sale on beer. My guess is whenever a place has a special on a certain type of drink, they're selling close to the absolute minimum dictated by the law.

It's a completely fucked up system
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 3:59 AM

Quote:

Vendors used to display the prices with tax, but most removed the tax from their prices about three years ago when a bunch of the LGCA rules changed. For the exact reason you mention.

Also TNSE sells “on premise” alcohol – not “off premise” aka retail. Very different.

The LGCA retail pricing rules are ridiculous. But it sounds like Pallister will be changing some more soon as the local breweries and distilleries are getting very frustrated. Because LC sets the standard pricing, it includes their stocking/merchandising fees – regardless of who sells it. Essentially what this means, is Patent 5 has to charge the same price for a bottle of gin at their distillery that the LC charges, and a big chunk of that is going to the LC as a stocking fee, even through the LC never touches the bottle. It’s insane. The province probably makes more off a bottle of Patent 5 gin than Patent 5 does.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 5:50 AM

Beer is way less expensive in Ontario. Even King Cans more than a dollar less over the border. Imagine how that looks on a 2-4.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 6:24 AM

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 4:37 PM

Those Keith Harings are gonna be expensive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan