HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
The Inquirer is a shell of it's former self. It is largely rag articles about injustices written at a barely literate level, any (pro) development news is against their sad agenda. (And I rarely see Philadelphia spelled in whole, which annoys me).
It's just frustrating. They just hired the guy from GOVERNING.COM who knows Philly well and is a good writer.

Quote:
And ironically many of the social justice warrior articles are written by young white college educated people...
I think this is a real symptom of the paper falling off. We don't have good veteran community writers. Billy Penn, the Inquirer, Plan Philly, etc. are dominated by transplant Gen Z writers who apparently just rewrite the last several years worth of social unrest into every single story possible.

Quote:
For example...

FIFA is eyeing FDR Park for World Cup practice pitches. Communities of color are saying hands off.
https://www.inquirer.com/news/fifa-w...-20221004.html

There are a few solid Inquirer reporters/writers, but they are clouded by the daily clickbait nonsense. My Inquirer rant. .
And I couldn't recent articles about 2301 JFK, just the one they posted in 2020. They have a tidbit about the new apartment tower in U City.
I would put money down right now, that the area the market is in, is under water right now. The author didn't even bother to mention that the market is getting a permanent space. The implication of the title and article is at worst a straight lie in bad faith, and at best just click-bait opinion dressed up as an editorial.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:06 PM

Quote:
The Inquirer is a shell of its former self. It is largely rag articles about injustices written at a barely literate level, any (pro) development news is against their sad agenda. (And I rarely see Philadelphia spelled in whole, which annoys me). And ironically many of the social justice warrior articles are written by young white college educated people...

For example...

FIFA is eyeing FDR Park for World Cup practice pitches. Communities of color are saying hands off.
https://www.inquirer.com/news/fifa-w...-20221004.html
Was disgusted seeing this as the top story this morning. There is virtually nothing said by those interviewed in the article about FIFA using the park. It's just people talking about why the park is important to them. No one says anything remotely close to "hands off." It's just editorializing by the "journalist" and whoever wrote the headline.

I say this as someone who believes that people with black and brown skin in this country have not had a fair shot. We have an immense amount of work to do in leveling the playing field and reckoning with our country's historical (and present day) racism. We need to discuss these problems and we need to fix them, but viewing everything at all times through lens of skin color does little more than divide us.

"I cover what makes Philadelphia great: our communities of color." You've been here for like five minutes.

Last edited by Justin7; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:56 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
It's just frustrating. They just hired the guy from GOVERNING.COM who knows Philly well and is a good writer.

I think this is a real symptom of the paper falling off. We don't have good veteran community writers. Billy Penn, the Inquirer, Plan Philly, etc. are dominated by transplant Gen Z writers who apparently just rewrite the last several years worth of social unrest into every single story possible.

I would put money down right now, that the area the market is in, is under water right now. The author didn't even bother to mention that the market is getting a permanent space. The implication of the title and article is at worst a straight lie in bad faith, and at best just click-bait opinion dressed up as an editorial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Was disgusted seeing this as the top story this morning. There is virtually nothing said by those interviewed in the article about FIFA using the park. It's just people talking about why the park is important to them. No one says anything remotely close to "hands off." It's just editorializing by the "journalist" and whoever wrote the headline.

I say this as someone who believes that people with black and brown skin in this country have not had a fair shot. We have an immense amount of work to do in leveling the playing field and reckoning with our country's historical (and present day) racism. We need to discuss these problems and we need to fix them, but viewing everything at all times through lens of skin color does little more than divide us.

"I cover what makes Philadelphia great: our communities of color." You've been here for like five minutes.
Would it make a difference reaching out to the author or the Inquirer sharing your valid points, especially about the untrue article title?
Though I've written to Philly Mag before and was ignored by both the publisher and journalist...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 7:13 PM

Quote:
The Inquirer is a shell of its former self. It is largely rag articles about injustices written at a barely literate level, any (pro) development news is against their sad agenda. (And I rarely see Philadelphia spelled in whole, which annoys me). And ironically many of the social justice warrior articles are written by young white college educated people...
Lol wat

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 7:40 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Lol wat
Did I stutter?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Did I stutter?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 10:35 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
It was a The Office reference (Stanley).

But what do you disagree with? The Inquirer is flooded with poorly researched virtue signaling articles (with bogus titles), see other members comments expanding on my post.
And the example article I shared is still a top headline...

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Oct 4, 2022 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 11:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

Not that i agree at all with your Inquirer sentiment but it helps to just use an image:

zzzzzz

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 2:35 AM

Quote:
It was a The Office reference (Stanley).
smooth

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 1:22 PM
Chris

I didn't see this shared yet... I guess this plan keeps with the sea of strip malls and parking in that area.

Proposed shopping center to bring Shake Shack, Raising Cane's and Lidl to South Philadelphia

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ing-canes.html

Under plans filed with the city, a 6.2-acre property at 16 Snyder Ave. will be razed and replaced with six detached structures for retail tenants including Lidl, Shake Shack, Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers, Advanced Auto Parts and Chase Bank.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:28 PM

This is probably better suited for the transportation thread, but I wanted to provide a quick (anecdotal) Regional Rail ridership update.

My morning train, #6249, was a four-car set traveling between Elm Street and 30th Street Station prior to the week of September 11th. Between the weeks of March 27th (when I moved to the Northwest) and September 11th, I could always find a forward-facing seat in the first car on any given day. Now, my train is a five-car set and I need to head to at least the fourth car if I want my own seat by the time my train reaches Ivy Ridge between Tuesday and Thursday. At this point, most seats are filled by the time my train reaches Temple University Station. My usual outbound train, #3224, is also starting to reach capacity. Finally, I'm starting to see something I haven't seen since the pre-pandemic days: at least towards the front of the train, people are taking the middle seat of the three-seat rows.

September 2022 ridership numbers haven't been published yet; however, they stood at 47% of pre-pandemic ridership in August 2022. With the combination of Comcast workers back in the city three days a week and the return of students to area colleges, I would not be surprised if Regional Rail ridership surpasses 55% of pre-pandemic ridership.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
This is probably better suited for the transportation thread, but I wanted to provide a quick (anecdotal) Regional Rail ridership update.

My morning train, #6249, was a four-car set traveling between Elm Street and 30th Street Station prior to the week of September 11th. Between the weeks of March 27th (when I moved to the Northwest) and September 11th, I could always find a forward-facing seat in the first car on any given day. Now, my train is a five-car set and I need to head to at least the fourth car if I want my own seat by the time my train reaches Ivy Ridge between Tuesday and Thursday. At this point, most seats are filled by the time my train reaches Temple University Station. My usual outbound train, #3224, is also starting to reach capacity. Finally, I'm starting to see something I haven't seen since the pre-pandemic days: at least towards the front of the train, people are taking the middle seat of the three-seat rows.

September 2022 ridership numbers haven't been published yet; however, they stood at 47% of pre-pandemic ridership in August 2022. With the combination of Comcast workers back in the city three days a week and the return of students to area colleges, I would not be surprised if Regional Rail ridership surpasses 55% of pre-pandemic ridership.
Good stuff.

I'd love to see similar numbers for the El and the BSL. It seems like those lines have a much bigger lift to get people back.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Good stuff.

I'd love to see similar numbers for the El and the BSL. It seems like those lines have a much bigger lift to get people back.
Quite the opposite actually; they have been consistently higher % wise than regional rail since COVID.

If we had a way to count evaded fares I'd even say we were almost where we were pre pandemic.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:46 PM

Freeman Condominiums progress by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr
Loud machinery inside, work heavily underway

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Freeman Condominiums progress by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr
Loud machinery inside, work heavily underway
Awesome! This is gonna do so much to liven up that block of Chestnut west of target. It feels pretty sleepy once you get here if you go right at Continental there walking towards the SRT so this is a welcome change. Also seems like it’s gonna be a sweet place to watch games.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:56 PM

^ Freeman is not in that block. That's a photo of the 1900 block. The work must be in connection with the Bankroll restaurant by Steven Starr. Freeman is a block east of this.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Quite the opposite actually; they have been consistently higher % wise than regional rail since COVID.

If we had a way to count evaded fares I'd even say we were almost where we were pre pandemic.
They are not. One ride at rush hour tells you that. There are ample seats on the BSL during rush hour- that was not the case pre-COVID. So many SEPTA passengers ride for free (especially during the school year) its highly unlikely that fare evaders make any significant difference in terms of crowding.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
They are not. One ride at rush hour tells you that. There are ample seats on the BSL during rush hour- that was not the case pre-COVID. So many SEPTA passengers ride for free (especially during the school year) its highly unlikely that fare evaders make any significant difference in terms of crowding.
I must know a dozen people in Old City alone who will not ride the El for fear of the random violent group of teens. They're out of control on that train these days.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 7:30 PM

Please lord, don't let that be the final signage.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 7:31 PM

Quote:
A few random update questions...

1. Is the Dilworth House condo project on Washington Square fully underway?
No. The construction you're seeing is work being done on the Atheneaum next door. As far as I know the Dilworth House project is dead in the water due to the out of control civic association.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development