HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:55 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
You are right, and Saskatoon is certainly far down the totem pole, but that doesn't mean we can't take steps to make it a more marketable location. I have a hard time seeing this place move that high up in the national ranks (maybe we will be firmly alongside Halifax in my lifetime, if we are lucky), but we can still try our best to make sure that our slice of the pie is a good one.
My point was the investor crowd is not a good thing for all local residents although you can get alot of shiny development built in a much shorter time over attracting people looking for a place to establish roots.

Bazis is a major Kazakhstan development with a Canadian subsidiary building in Toronto. Their glass window wall buildings leave a lot to be desired.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 7:51 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
My point was the investor crowd is not a good thing for all local residents although you can get alot of shiny development built in a much shorter time over attracting people looking for a place to establish roots.

Bazis is a major Kazakhstan development with a Canadian subsidiary building in Toronto. Their glass window wall buildings leave a lot to be desired.
Fair enough, and I agree with your point, but I just have a hard time seeing Saskatoon getting to the point where that becomes a real issue for local residents. That pattern of development has yet to firmly establish itself here, and by the time it works its way down, who's to say that it won't have been displaced by some other?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 9:42 PM

Quote:
I believe that one involved either/both subdivision and rezoning and generated a little contention. I understand there has been some procedural advance but I'm not quite sure the current status.

Personally it's hard to see the downside to this project, it's a unique building for Saskatoon, brings more residents downtown, and will help the adjacent United Church (which moonlights as a performing arts venue) survive. I understand the counterargument is loosely based around crowding the riverbank. BANANAs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
The project was approved earlier this year, when i contacted Meridian they said they would not be starting it this year.
A bit of an update on this. I see that Meridian is now soliciting subtrade pricing for the "Spire Tower Project" at 838 Spadina Crescent. Currently out for the following:
  • Foundation Waterproofing
  • Concrete
  • Masonry
  • Structural Steel
  • Flooring
  • Mechanical & Plumbing
  • Fire Protection
  • Electrical

They also note that construction is slated to start in Q1 of 2023. As part of the package, they've issued 90% drawings. I'm not at liberty to post any documents, however, it would appear that roof level is approximately 63m.

I'd say this is a pretty good indication that the project is likely to proceed.

NOTE: THIS IS ABOUT THE PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT AT THE KNOX UNITED CHURCH PARKING LOT. WHEN I COPIED THE PREVIOUS POSTS, THE RENDERING DIDN'T COPY.

Last edited by Crisis; Sep 30, 2022 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 3:33 PM
Unregistered User

There's something going up on Jasper Ave that you can see from Idylwyld just south of Ruth. Looks like 3 or 4 floors, potentially. Might just be some kind of warehouse but given its proximity to the freeway I thought it could end up something of note. Any clues?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 3:49 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
A bit of an update on this. I see that Meridian is now soliciting subtrade pricing for the "Spire Tower Project" at 838 Spadina Crescent. Currently out for the following:
  • Foundation Waterproofing
  • Concrete
  • Masonry
  • Structural Steel
  • Flooring
  • Mechanical & Plumbing
  • Fire Protection
  • Electrical

They also note that construction is slated to start in Q1 of 2023. As part of the package, they've issued 90% drawings. I'm not at liberty to post any documents, however, it would appear that roof level is approximately 63m.

I'd say this is a pretty good indication that the project is likely to proceed.

NOTE: THIS IS ABOUT THE PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT AT THE KNOX UNITED CHURCH PARKING LOT. WHEN I COPIED THE PREVIOUS POSTS, THE RENDERING DIDN'T COPY.
Exciting!! I was looking at that part of downtown from Cosmo Park the other day thinking how nice of an addition that building will be to the skyline. I think it will complement the area quite nicely. I don't understand those who say that it will detract from the churches in the area -- the churches are already overwhelmed by all the apartment blocks behind them! If anything, this will help the churches stand out by providing a foreground focal point to counterbalance the older towers farther back.

That said, I'm not a big fan of the moniker "The Spire"... gaudy, cute, while still being generic and palate-less. "Knox Tower" would offer a better sense of place while still connoting an "executive trim" meaning (Fort Knox?). Regardless of the name, ultimately I do like the building, and I applaud Meridian for actually being committed to larger scale (for Saskatoon) projects in the city centre (even if I still haven't fully recovered from the untimely Frankenstining of the Modern Press building).

Last edited by phone; Oct 3, 2022 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:01 PM

Agreed! I was worried this was not going to happen given the steps leading up to now... great to see it is happening in the new year.

Wondering if anyone knows what is happening with the lot next to the Parktown? 916 Spadina Crescent East. It seemed to sell reasonably quickly (or maybe I am just optimistically remembering this...) and would be another good location for an interesting 'The Spire'.

Quote:
Exciting!! I was looking at that part of downtown from Cosmo Park the other day thinking how nice of an addition that building will be to the skyline. I think it will complement the area quite nicely. I don't understand those who say that it will detract from the churches in the area -- the churches are already overwhelmed by all the commie blocks behind them! If anything, this will help the churches stand out by providing a foreground focal point to counterbalance the older towers farther back.

That said, I'm not a big fan of the moniker "The Spire"... gaudy, cute, while still being generic and palate-less. "Knox Tower" would offer a better sense of place while still connoting an "executive trim" meaning (Fort Knox?). Regardless of the name, ultimately I do like the building, and I applaud Meridian for actually being committed to larger scale (for Saskatoon) projects in the city centre (even if I still haven't fully recovered from the untimely Frankenstining of the Modern Press building).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:33 AM

Pints & Politics (and construction!)

I'm sure some of you have seen that I've been a longtime reader of the forum. I want to invite you out for a Pints & Politics I'm hosting next week. It would be great to meet some development minded folks casually in person now that we are able to do so again!

Here are some details:
https://www.facebook.com/events/4939555079479293/

For those not into FB:
Join Councillor Zach Jeffries for a casual Pints & Politics event on October 12th! Pop by to discuss city issues and any ideas that you have for Saskatoon. Snacks and non-alcoholic beverages are free for folks in attendance and everyone is welcome to join!

Pints & Politics with Zach Jeffries
Rock Creek Grill & Bar (side room)
#102 - 1820 McOrmond Drive
7:00pm to 9:00pm (come and go)

Feel free to email me at ward10@zachjeffries.ca if you have any questions or to let me know that you're able to make it. No need to RSVP, you can just show up.

Last edited by zachjeffries; Oct 5, 2022 at 3:34 AM. Reason: Extra information

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 5:19 AM

The house south of St. John's Anglican Cathedral has recently been demolished. It looks like the property is being combined with the parking lot just south of it to form, drumroll please, a larger parking lot. As far as I know, the church owns it all.

Now, spokespeople for the Cathedral were opposed to the (imminent --- fingers crossed, knock on wood) Knox Church parking lot redevelopment next door. However, the Anglicans now have their very own redevelopment site on Spadina. I'd be very surprised (and happy!) if they did anything with it in my lifetime besides manage it as a parking lot, but the potential is there.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
The house south of St. John's Anglican Cathedral has recently been demolished. It looks like the property is being combined with the parking lot just south of it to form, drumroll please, a larger parking lot. As far as I know, the church owns it all.

Now, spokespeople for the Cathedral were opposed to the (imminent --- fingers crossed, knock on wood) Knox Church parking lot redevelopment next door. However, the Anglicans now have their very own redevelopment site on Spadina. I'd be very surprised (and happy!) if they did anything with it in my lifetime besides manage it as a parking lot, but the potential is there.
Yes I noticed this too. And 3 or 4 years ago another house immediately south of the one you are talking about was demolished and became commercial parking space. This year, as you say, the second house (immediately south of the church) was demolished, a new fence has been erected, and the commercial parking has been expanded.

However, these lots aren't owned by the church. Rather they are owned by a company that is owned by Frank and Ellen Remai. I have no idea what the long term plan is but for now it seems they are content to use them for parking revenue.

What I found odd is that in the spring this year the house next to the church was shrouded with scaffolding and insulated tarps and appeared to be undergoing extensive Renos and then later this summer it was demolished.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck10 View Post
However, these lots aren't owned by the church. Rather they are owned by a company that is owned by Frank and Ellen Remai. I have no idea what the long term plan is but for now it seems they are content to use them for parking revenue.
Oh, interesting! Thanks for the correction! That makes me more optimistic about the land's future. For whatever reason, I'd always assumed the house was a residence for members of the clergy.

Baseless speculation time, but I wonder if the approval of the Knox plans played a role in the renovation/demolition timeline.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck10 View Post

What I found odd is that in the spring this year the house next to the church was shrouded with scaffolding and insulated tarps and appeared to be undergoing extensive Renos and then later this summer it was demolished.
Was it a very old house? There might have been asbestos in the insulation, which could explain the scaffolding and tarps earlier this year.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 10:59 PM

Didn't the remais propose a high-rise there at one time about 13 floors tried to make it fit in with the church. Alot thought it was ugly. There was a render i think in the beginning of construction II.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Didn't the remais propose a high-rise there at one time about 13 floors tried to make it fit in with the church. Alot thought it was ugly. There was a render i think in the beginning of construction II.
Yes, there was. It used to be on the old JC Aken architecture website before it went offline. If I recall correctly, it was proposed right around the time of the completion of The riverfront condo building just down the block. The proposed building had the same general architectural style which isn't surprising given that it was the same architect and developer.

Turns out, I still have a screenshot of it!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 4:27 AM

I don't hate it (certainly appreciate the brick exterior), but I shudder at the thought of that building being located in such a prime piece of riverfront land.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
Oh, interesting! Thanks for the correction! That makes me more optimistic about the land's future. For whatever reason, I'd always assumed the house was a residence for members of the clergy.

Baseless speculation time, but I wonder if the approval of the Knox plans played a role in the renovation/demolition timeline.
So they also own the city leased parking lot at 5th and 24th st and barely take care of it. Have the remai’s actually built anything downtown (no they didn’t build remai modern and the picasso thing is overrated)? I think they’re more known for tearing down buildings and putting up parking lots which they then may eventually sell to another developer. They’re not in my good books - when I lived at 5th and 25th we approached them as a neighboring site to enhance the beautification of the street and they shut us down instantly. They also dumped a monster hill of mud on our lawn the following year lol. They are very difficult to deal with…

I think the last thing they built was that cheap hotel on 8th about 10 years ago. They’re mostly land spec flippers now/parking lot business.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskE30 View Post
Yes, there was. It used to be on the old JC Aken architecture website before it went offline. If I recall correctly, it was proposed right around the time of the completion of The riverfront condo building just down the block. The proposed building had the same general architectural style which isn't surprising given that it was the same architect and developer.

Turns out, I still have a screenshot of it!

This is hideous.. please tell me it was't approved. .. this already looks like an early 90's build.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 2:26 AM

Quite different from the Cameco building proposal he did.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 5:08 AM

Wow! Thanks for posting the screenshot!

I'm just happy to know that it won't be a church parking lot forever. Oh, for a crystal ball, haha!

I'd love to know what will eventually happen to the three small commercial buildings just south of this. That whole block, including the Star Phoenix et al., has got to be the block of downtown with the most potential to completely change the feel of the area! If only the pace of development here weren't quite so glacial.

Last edited by Roquentin; Oct 10, 2022 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 1:45 PM

^yes, agreed! but if the spire tower goes up, that'll fill a massive hole in the skyline and bring it into the 2000s at least. fingers crossed!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 1:52 PM

anyone going for pints and politics w zackjefferies? Nice of you to invite, Zack! unfortunately I can't make this one...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan