HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 5:26 AM
>~< , QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Doesn't mean that the editorial board of the Tribune knows what they're talking about. 'Recovery' is a phrase that many, including the Tribune use way too lightly; what's gonna happen when everyone outside of Chicago rushes to go to a bar or restaurant this weekend? Oh wait, we already know, considering that other states jumped the gun when they weren't ready and cases went up again:

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/09/85305...o-do-so-safely

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rus-update-us/

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/eve...-in-new-cases/

Considering that over the past 15 years, the Chicago Tribune is mostly illegible and deliberately parochial, perhaps consider a slew of other sources, if you and others are so inclined?

Slow and steady is always a good measure to try and regain some semblance of normalcy, considering that this plague is still not under control. I know two people who have died in the past 2 months due to Covid, one of whom I've been very close to over the past twenty years. Additionally, one of my best friends, who is super fit, muscular and in great shape is currently in a medically-induced coma, fighting for his life due to Covid.
Best of luck to your friend.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 1:57 PM

Yeah at this point what's another couple weeks? It's clear we've already crushed the worst of the outbreak, why not kick Covid while it's down?

Two of my tenants who were laid off have already been rehired anyhow. One is a store manager at GAP and is coming back to run their curbside operation and prep for limited retail relaunch. The other is a dog groomer and actually got a huge promotion to the PetSmart ultra lux salon in Gold Coast. She's now clearing over $90k as a groomer which is rediculous. Apparently her bosses used the layoffs to shit can everyone who had been under performing anyhow. This is actually how recessions are beneficial btw, it dislodges people who are fat and happy and underperforming and, ideally, winds up with them moving to other jobs they are better suited for.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:19 PM
The City

Quote:
Doesn't mean that the editorial board of the Tribune knows what they're talking about. 'Recovery' is a phrase that many, including the Tribune use way too lightly; what's gonna happen when everyone outside of Chicago rushes to go to a bar or restaurant this weekend? Oh wait, we already know, considering that other states jumped the gun when they weren't ready and cases went up again:

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/09/85305...o-do-so-safely

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rus-update-us/

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/eve...-in-new-cases/

Considering that over the past 15 years, the Chicago Tribune is mostly illegible and deliberately parochial, perhaps consider a slew of other sources, if you and others are so inclined?

Slow and steady is always a good measure to try and regain some semblance of normalcy, considering that this plague is still not under control. I know two people who have died in the past 2 months due to Covid, one of whom I've been very close to over the past twenty years. Additionally, one of my best friends, who is super fit, muscular and in great shape is currently in a medically-induced coma, fighting for his life due to Covid.
Really sorry to hear about your two friends. Wow, that’s devastating!

The debate about this has been exhausting, but I find it odd that you say that about the Tribune. I have the opposite opinion, actually. Over the past 15 years I have become turned off by national media conglomerates and, particularly when it comes to local affairs, much prefer local media. Call it parochial or what you will, local news outlets are nearly the only semblance of honest media left in this country. I think the Tribune editorial board is full of informed adults; they know what’s going on and they see the big picture. I happen to agree with them.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 9:51 PM
>~< , QED!

The Trib really feels like it's targeting more suburban readers (maybe not too surprising as more people live in the suburbs than the city), to the extent that it's often offputting. Especially archsuburbanite John Kass's screeds.

Last edited by SIGSEGV; May 30, 2020 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 12:02 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Really sorry to hear about your two friends. Wow, that’s devastating!

The debate about this has been exhausting, but I find it odd that you say that about the Tribune. I have the opposite opinion, actually. Over the past 15 years I have become turned off by national media conglomerates and, particularly when it comes to local affairs, much prefer local media. Call it parochial or what you will, local news outlets are nearly the only semblance of honest media left in this country. I think the Tribune editorial board is full of informed adults; they know what’s going on and they see the big picture. I happen to agree with them.
For the record, my ire was directed not at you but at the Tribune, and for what me feels like an editorial board taking a stance that doesn't align with scientific consensus, as well as examples of states that took an uncalculated risk by opening too early.
Here's the deal: we all want things to open up again, have some semblance of normalcy return; for us, family, friends, neighbors, colleagues to go back to work, etc. A pandemic takes time, and even though we're seemingly getting better, I worry about premature actions that may exacerbate the issue. We'll get through this, because we have no choice. It'll just take a little bit more time.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 2:52 PM

The "protestors" shot at people on balconies in River North.

Link

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 3:37 PM
Small but Mighty

^^Did anything happen to One Chicago last night? River North was a complete shit show and I hope its ok.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 3:41 PM
Small but Mighty

^^Oh it was a lot worst than that. Hundreds of businesses were looted across the Loop. You can't get into or out of the Loop now. Multiple shops burned. At least a dozen cop cars torched. I was listening to police scanners last night just absolutely heartbroken. This sucks so much. Multiple people were shot and killed, some on live video (from social media). If Lori doesn't call in the national guard today I am going to be so mad. She has already shown a complete lack of leadership in these riots. The cops last night were all asking, and I quote, "Where is the mayor?" She should have given a late night press conference and instead did nothing while the city burned. Absolutely outrageous. The looters even got as far as Wicker and LP. Unbelievable. I was devastated.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 7:17 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...an-up/2280980/

Illinois National Guard Activated, CTA and Metra Cancel Trains

Published May 31, 2020 • Updated 26 mins ago

1:37 p.m.: Chicago Police to Work 12 Hour Shifts, All Days Off Canceled

1:11 p.m.: Authorities Restrict Access to Chicago Loop, Central Business District

11:50 a.m.: 240 People Arrested, More Than 20 Officers Injured During Protests, Looting in Downtown

11:35 a.m.: Pritzker to Activate National Guard to Assist Chicago Police

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 1:28 PM

This city is a hot mess. Destruction of neighborhood stores. Mass looters. 82 people shot this weekend. 19 fatally shot.

I can't wait to hear about how the south side needs investments due to systemic [oppression / inequality / racism / disinvestment / blah blah blah]. Yet the residents who live there want to destroy the stores and limited commercial areas.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:26 PM
Plenary pleasures.

This is from a Minneapolis poster in that city construction thread; I wonder how much of the looting/destruction in Chicago is from similar opportunistic assholes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordeast Homer View Post
Talking with friends who are first responders and seeing things first hand; a large number of the instigators are white males in tactical gear arriving in large numbers in vehicles with no plates. These guys are very organized and are creating chaos within large crowds then splintering off, pretty much making law enforcement chase them around, then disappearing into residential neighborhoods.
These guys are clearly not a part of the neighborhoods, the residents of these neighborhoods have been the ones cleaning up and trying to help.
I could go on and on, story after story.
Minneapolis will come back and we will rebuild, but this is a scar that will take a long time to heal.
We know from our local leaders there will be changes, there have to be, we can't go through this again. The economic disparities in our city between people of color and whites is astounding and needs to change.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:34 PM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
This is from a Minneapolis poster in that city construction thread; I wonder how much of the looting/destruction in Chicago is from similar opportunistic assholes:
^^I can tell you for a fact that is not at all what I've seen here. This is, according to at least the people who were arrested last night, almost entirely people from the Chicagoland area.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
^^I can tell you for a fact that is not at all what I've seen here. This is, according to at least the people who were arrested last night, almost entirely people from the Chicagoland area.
My tenants in Little Village reported to me the looting by African American males coming from neighboring areas along Cermak and 26th. Then they called me to tell me "the gangbangers are going crazy". If any of you have been watching some areas have gone up in arms against the rioters. I saw half a dozen videos of Latin Kings beating the shit out of looters and even one of them absolutely destroying a car that was loading up goods at a Walgreens by ramming it with on of their monster trucks. The entire staff of the Cermak Fresh Market on Pualski and Diversey was in the parking lot with baseball bats and shovels and a literal pitchfork after looters attacked the Binnys across the street.

My wife just sent me screen shots of online invitations to attack Lake County and places Like Barrington tonight. It's going to be a blood bath if that happens because now the looters are going to end up in a place where people like to own guns and are much more likely to be racists who would not give two shits about shooting "urban youths" attacking their property. Eventually this is going to stop because communities will just start with the vigilante justice and do stuff like the little village gangs were doing last night. You come for a new pair of sneakers and a TV, we wreck your Chrysler 300.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 8:10 PM
TL;DR

Yeah almost zero damage in Pilsen here, the neighborhood was out in force last night protecting the businesses on 18th, including (reportedly) Alderman Sigcho. They set up dumpster barricades to stop the looters cars. Much respect to those guys.

The only vandalism I saw was at the shitty drive-thru McDonalds, which... good riddance.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 8:58 PM
The City

Very disappointed in Lightfoot here. Police accountability is important, but that’s the long game.

The immediate and fundamental job of Government is to protect the public and the public’s property against crime and lawlessness. She failed. In fact, even while asking police to fight off these looters she’s telling people to call 311 if they feel like they’ve been mishandled by the police, effectively throwing her own officers under the bus This is not how you stop marauders and violent rioters.

A Mayor Daley would’ve deployed the resources available to him to prevent it from reaching this point much more swiftly. Overall Lightfoot is still a decent mayor, but she is absolutely the wrong type of person you want running the show right now.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 9:13 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
The Trib really feels like it's targeting more suburban readers (maybe not too surprising as more people live in the suburbs than the city), to the extent that it's often offputting. Especially archsuburbanite John Kass's screeds.
Just because it isn’t a left wing rag like the Chicago Reader doesn’t mean that it’s “targeting” specific readers. The Tribune is pretty balanced, and maybe people should pay more attention to it than to their buddies on Twitter.

John Kass is literally the most outspoken, Trumpian columnist for the Tribune. I’m glad he gets a voice. But so does this lady:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...4qq-story.html

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 9:28 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
^^Did anything happen to One Chicago last night? River North was a complete shit show and I hope its ok.
There was a lot of tagging, broken storefronts, and a few car fires but RN is looking surprisingly tidy (but desolate) right now.
I walked by the One Chicago site several times since Saturday and nothing appears out of the ordinary.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
There was a lot of tagging, broken storefronts, and a few car fires but RN is looking surprisingly tidy (but desolate) right now.
I walked by the One Chicago site several times since Saturday and nothing appears out of the ordinary.
Can concur. OCS fine. A ton of businesses looted and a LOT of tagging. Sunday was drills and circulars saws all day from boarding up many businesses that hadn't been yet boarded up from the pandemic or were looted. Pics incoming.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 10:43 PM

out of town for the weekend, anyone tell me how bad it was here compared to other major cities?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie77 View Post
out of town for the weekend, anyone tell me how bad it was here compared to other major cities?
news makes it look pretty bad on south and west sides, after the downtown area was hit so hard

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest