HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 6:54 PM

Just because they've held land for that long doesn't mean they have unlimited financial resources to dump into projects. That's what you get with some buy and hold family investors they aren't in any rush to develop.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 12:29 AM

Yeah, holding land and buildings and leasing them out is a perfectly sound investment strategy.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:39 AM

Glad to hear some movement on this lot and that the proposed building is 40 storeys, which is a much better use of the site than a 13 storey strata office imo. Very curious to know what hotel is driving this development. We know Element will go into the building one block south on Seymour.

The hotel shortage in Vancouver is quite alarming and yet it feels like things are moving at a snails pace.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanight93 View Post
Glad to hear some movement on this lot and that the proposed building is 40 storeys
The article said 30 storeys

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
The article said 30 storeys
I stand corrected. I guess I understood that being of "comparable height" means it will be the same number of floors as Capitol Residences (which is 43-storeys).

Anyways looking forward to seeing what's proposed here.

So far the hotel rumblings include the following sites:
  • 1167-1193 Granville (Davie and Granville)
  • 600 Robson (Robson and Seymour)
  • 848 Seymour
  • Plaza of Nations redevelopment (750 Pacific Blvd, i recall someone saying the delay is related to incorporation of hotel use)
  • 908 Robson (rumoured redevelopment at Howe and Robson)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:42 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected. I guess I understood that being of "comparable height" means it will be the same number of floors as Capitol Residences (which is 43-storeys).

• 848 Seymour
  • Plaza of Nations redevelopment (750 Pacific Blvd, i recall someone saying the delay is related to incorporation of hotel use)
That's a good start to the list, but here's a few more ( and I may be missing some also).

516-534 W Pender
302 Water St
1300 Robson (Listel site)
150 Robson (Amacon)
901 Broadway
888 Broadway
576 Seymour (Arts and Craft Building)
399 East 1st ( Onni - very preliminary)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:50 PM

Quote:

• 848 Seymour

1167-1193 Granville (Davie and Granville)
- Submitted, no public hearing scheduled yet.

600 Robson (Robson and Seymour)
- nothing submitted yet. The developer is likely to be Moxy, from New York, but they were said to be wanting to put Pod-style rooms into the project, and while there's no minimum room size in any City regulations, they have to meet fire code for separation and sprinklering, which could be complex.

848 Seymour
- Rezoning approved, development permit submitted.

Plaza of Nations redevelopment (750 Pacific Blvd, i recall someone saying the delay is related to incorporation of hotel use)
- The delay is more likely to be related to getting financing to build 648 market residential units as well as 180 of social housing. There's no hotel in phase 1, but the podium has 120,000 sf of office, so they might be rethinking that as hotel. It's a developer with no track record, so very ambitious.

908 Robson (rumoured redevelopment at Howe and Robson)
- I think that's Hornby & Robson. Reliance bought the site, and want to build condos. They said they were looking at a hotel because they're required to have commercial as well.

There's also 1300 Robson - redevelopment of the Listel Hotel, 302 Water, DP Approved, and 516-534 W Pender, no public hearing scheduled yet.

There are four hotels under construction, on Burrard and Smithe (office conversion to hotel), in Gastown on Keefer and the podium of The Block on Robson.

There are others outside Downtown - 2 on Broadway, one on Cambie, and maybe one day, Onni at Great Northern Way.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 5:39 PM

Thanks @doodler and @ChangingCity for the comprehensive list and for all that extra insight.

Seems like the majority of the proposals are still at the planning stage. 848 Seymour is likely to be the first application to get built considering those with applications submitted haven't gone to public hearing.

Anyways much appreciate your contributions!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver