HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Oh this is very nice.

Btw, whatever happened to that cylinder designed Ross Perot supertall tower? I loved that one, would be my favorite building in TX if it got built.
I'd like to know myself.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:48 PM

Quote:
What helps DFW's growth northward is how developed the suburbs there are and becoming even more so.

Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Richardson, Denton, Grapevine, Allen, Lewisville, Garland, Carrolton, Flower Mound.

That's a staggering amount of office space and other job centers and DFW is always pushing to develop or build even more. Massive scale mixed use developments with towers and highrises. This keeps DFW's growth going forward north as these job centers develop north. If you look at most of the DFW cities with 100k people or more, they're all either north or in the midcities (cities between DAL and FW). Mesquite is one of the few exceptions to that.

Yeah, in the near future, it'll be San Antonio running up into Austin, with Austin running down to San Antonio while simultaneously also running up to Killeen area and the Killeen area running up to Waco. Then there is a 76 mile gap between Waco and Burleson on I-35 where the development is either very lightly populated or not populated. Burleson on I-35 is the first contiguous town a part of the DFW metro area.
Do you think DFW will pretty much always remain separate from the emerging I-35 mega region between Waco and San Antonio?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 6:17 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Do you think DFW will pretty much always remain separate from the emerging I-35 mega region between Waco and San Antonio?
Yes. 100%.

Additionally, I wouldn't really consider growth between Waco and SA an "emerging mega region." Growth in this sector of Texas is overwhelmingly between Georgetown (north Austin metro) and the southern burbs of SA.

Many, many years from now you will see Austin and San Antonio grow into a type of metroplex. It will be interesting to see if the Temple-Killeen-Belton area will continue to feed off the growth of the northern sections of the Austin metro.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 6:29 PM
World Traveler

I have seen expansion work on I-35E from Hillsboro to Waxahachie - looks like they're making it three lanes in each direction, which is nice. As I mentioned before, I think it would take some substantial growth for DFW to ever be connected to Waco. There just aren't many anchor cities in between at the moment, whereas Temple/Killeen to Georgetown has a fast-growing bedroom community in Jarrell and Georgetown is growing at a really fast click in all directions, it seems.

How much connection does Gainesville and Sherman/Denison have with DFW? Are there a significant number of commuters? I know there has to be some overlap or people who go to DFW to do stuff, but how regular is it outside of special events?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Yes. 100%.

Additionally, I wouldn't really consider growth between Waco and SA an "emerging mega region." Growth in this sector of Texas is overwhelmingly between Georgetown (north Austin metro) and the southern burbs of SA.

Many, many years from now you will see Austin and San Antonio grow into a type of metroplex. It will be interesting to see if the Temple-Killeen-Belton area will continue to feed off the growth of the northern sections of the Austin metro.
I called it that because even though the area between Waco and Round though not growing nearly as fast as Austin to San Antonio but the gaps are slowly filling in. I do think that the area between Waco and Killeen will eventually become a CSA.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 6:41 PM

While the South side of the Metro is growing quickly, it's more what I'd call "replacement level development", fairly basic suburban style sprawl not really anchored by anything. Manufacturing and Warehousing are probably the leading job creators.

The Northern growth is more led by corporate office jobs and is generally going much faster.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 4:02 AM

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...feature-1.html

An 83-story mixed-use tower, 1.9 million square feet of office space and 895 residential units — these are just some of the new details revealed about Hunt Realty Investment's proposed 11-acre project in Uptown.

Hunt Realty President Colin Fitzgibbons told the Business Journal last week that the project would feature five buildings built around a large park at 2323 N. Field Street. While he confirmed that the development would have about 3.75 million square feet of commercial and residential space, further details were not given, citing the preliminary nature of the plans. However, more concrete details have been revealed through an Oak Lawn Committee agenda, which will be presented Tuesday.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post

An 83-story mixed-use tower, 1.9 million square feet of office space and 895 residential units — these are just some of the new details revealed about Hunt Realty Investment's proposed 11-acre project in Uptown.

Hunt Realty President Colin Fitzgibbons told the Business Journal last week that the project would feature five buildings built around a large park at 2323 N. Field Street. While he confirmed that the development would have about 3.75 million square feet of commercial and residential space, further details were not given, citing the preliminary nature of the plans. However, more concrete details have been revealed through an Oak Lawn Committee agenda, which will be presented Tuesday.
Wow! Seems like the race is on to build Texas' tallest building. Austin recently announced their 74 story project and now Dallas announces this!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Wow! Seems like the race is on to build Texas' tallest building. Austin recently announced their 74 story project and now Dallas announces this!
I believe I read in another article on this proposal that construction would commence in phases beginning in 2023.

Additionally, as the proposed 83-story tower will be hotel and residences, the height may be between 950' & 1000' tall. However, everything is still in the master plan/design phase.

It's also interesting that KPF is involved with both this project as well as Austin's Waller Creek project.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:10 PM
DENNAB

Sad we'll have to wait so long but nice that Texas may see another new tallest (besides Austin's tower).

Been a while

Imagine Dallas with a new tallest and the urban arboretum project on the previous page, that would be insane.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Imagine Dallas with a new tallest and the urban arboretum project on the previous page, that would be insane.
The proposed new tallest for Dallas is within the "urban arboretum" project.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Sad we'll have to wait so long but nice that Texas may see another new tallest (besides Austin's tower).
Austin actually has two potential supertalls in their pipeline - The ATX Tower East & the new Waller Creek Tower proposal.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:16 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Bring it on! The more supertalls in the USA, the better

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:49 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
The proposed new tallest for Dallas is within the "urban arboretum" project.
Right I know, I meant the new tallest and the rest of the project.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:58 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshdodd View Post
I think it is safe to say the building boom is coming to a hard slow, if not an end. I still think DFW will be better off than other cities across the country. But I don't think we won't shrug off the effects of this depression and the collapse of the Quantitative Easing bubble. (Everything Bubble)
I’m actually astonished at how building continues apace and new proposals continue to be brought forward.

2007-08 was a MUCH milder contraction ... and building came to a halt.

Maybe DFW is an outlier ?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 9:41 PM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
I called it that because even though the area between Waco and Round though not growing nearly as fast as Austin to San Antonio but the gaps are slowly filling in. I do think that the area between Waco and Killeen will eventually become a CSA.
That will be tough considering The Killeen-Temple area is growing faster to the South than it is to the North. I feel the Killeen-Temple area will combine with Austin before it combines with Waco and that's because of it's close proximity to Georgetown.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 10:46 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
I believe I read in another article on this proposal that construction would commence in phases beginning in 2023.

Additionally, as the proposed 83-story tower will be hotel and residences, the height may be between 950' & 1000' tall. However, everything is still in the master plan/design phase.

It's also interesting that KPF is involved with both this project as well as Austin's Waller Creek project.
The article says this will be 890 feet.

“ The centerpiece of the 11-acre project, as seen in renderings, will be an 83-story mixed-use tower. Plans for the tower include a 500-room hotel, which will sit below a 595-unit residential high-rise. At a proposed 890 feet tall, the tower would be the second tallest building in Dallas, coming in just shy of the 921-foot Bank of America Plaza.”

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
The article says this will be 890 feet.

“ The centerpiece of the 11-acre project, as seen in renderings, will be an 83-story mixed-use tower. Plans for the tower include a 500-room hotel, which will sit below a 595-unit residential high-rise. At a proposed 890 feet tall, the tower would be the second tallest building in Dallas, coming in just shy of the 921-foot Bank of America Plaza.”

*muted trumpet sound*

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 11:45 PM
DENNAB

What is with developers building within feet of the current tallest? First Tribune East in Chicago and now this?

When a city hasn't had a new tallest in decades isn't that some kind of incentive?

890' is still really good for Dallas though. Cool development overall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations