HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 1:04 AM

There is an excavator chipping away at the hillside off Somerset. I recall a proposal for a small industrial office being proposed for this property a year or so ago. Might be site prep for construction next year?

https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=01674658

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:01 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ture-1.6669841

Very disappointing if this is true but I wonder if the discussions have not been with the Board but with the Foundation - as the Foundation is responsible for fund raising. I understand JK had a extensive vision for the museum and I for one would welcome any Irving funding that they may make.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ture-1.6669841

Very disappointing if this is true but I wonder if the discussions have not been with the Board but with the Foundation - as the Foundation is responsible for fund raising. I understand JK had a extensive vision for the museum and I for one would welcome any Irving funding that they may make.
Private money is one thing, and almost every cultural institution accepts it at some level, but it cannot be allowed to dictate the content, priorities, or narratives of an institution such as a public museum. Again, not something you should normally have to worry too much about, but the track record of Irving companies in New Brunswick strongly suggests that their support always comes with string attached.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 6:12 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Private money is one thing, and almost every cultural institution accepts it at some level, but it cannot be allowed to dictate the content, priorities, or narratives of an institution such as a public museum. Again, not something you should normally have to worry too much about, but the track record of Irving companies in New Brunswick strongly suggests that their support always comes with string attached.
I seem to recall the forestry section of the NBM having a slight...slant, although it's been a few years since i've gone through that section. Surely any private donations and funding comes with an asterisk in these sorts of scenarios.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 6:57 PM

To date, there is no evidence there is a 'deal' of any kind- or even a 100% firm commitment of support- this is just the unwatched/unread CBC repeatedly trying to theorize one for clicks. Not an email, document, video... nothing.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 9:00 PM

Hearing that a possible site for the museum is in the UNBSJ-Hospital area. Lessons of the past not learned.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
Hearing that a possible site for the museum is in the UNBSJ-Hospital area. Lessons of the past not learned.
Not exactly, since the collections need a huge amount of space and adequate protections, not to mention that that area is very different now than it was 50 years ago when those other institutions were put there. I do want an accessible exhibition centre, but to put the whole archive and collection Uptown is a lot to ask of a very small peninsula and put it at greater risk of natural harm.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Not exactly, since the collections need a huge amount of space and adequate protections, not to mention that that area is very different now than it was 50 years ago when those other institutions were put there. I do want an accessible exhibition centre, but to put the whole archive and collection Uptown is a lot to ask of a very small peninsula and put it at greater risk of natural harm.
How much space do you think is required. The ROM is the largest museum in Canada and has 214k square feet. The previously proposed waterfront facility was
to have 120k square feet over 4 floors. Why do you say this would have been inadequate? How much space is required? As much as the ROM?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
How much space do you think is required. The ROM is the largest museum in Canada and has 214k square feet. The previously proposed waterfront facility was
to have 120k square feet over 4 floors. Why do you say this would have been inadequate? How much space is required? As much as the ROM?
I'm not sure how much they would need/are looking for square footage. But in the recent interview with CBC, the museum board chair talked about the previous proposal back in 2018, (of it being on the waterfront) and said that it "looked lovely", but "it was about 35,000 square feet too small and had no room for collections to grow". So I'm thinking they would want probably something huge with room to expand if they need to.

She did say a number of locations have been considered in the last couple of years, but is refusing to say if the uptown area is still being considered. She also said
Quote:
"Some of the factors that have to be weighed include the amount of space available and whether there are sensitive or risky site conditions, such as wetlands or a high potential for Indigenous artifacts. Storm surge is also an increasing concern with that type of site, said Hamer.
"It would be "premature" to say whether Uptown Saint John is still in the running, she said. "We're balancing expectations for the entire province".
So I don't know what locations they are considering, hopefully more info/details will be said soon.

Last edited by DyAm00394; Dec 2, 2022 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 12:36 AM

Growth committee infographic shows 19 projects in planning 2000 new units

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 1:01 AM

Quote:
The ROM has off site storage at a number of locations, just like most museums do, the whole thing isn't contained all in one building. The NBM has to basically close every location they have (their collections are spread across 4-5 locations currently), and also account for at least 25-30 years of growth like every museum does. It's also the oldest museum in the country, it's not like it's some two-bit collection, it's been bursting at the seams for decades, which is something New Brunswick should be proud of, we have priceless artifacts and natural history collections that would be the envy of many.

An Uptown or Douglas Avenue exhibition centre with a brand new research, archive and collection centre would be a great balance of needs and access, but it sounds incredibly expensive when you think about it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 1:39 AM

[QUOTE=darkharbour;9804414

An Uptown or Douglas Avenue exhibition centre with a brand new research, archive and collection centre would be a great balance of needs and access, but it sounds incredibly expensive when you think about it.[/QUOTE]
Not sure what you consider incredibly expensive, but the Gallant proposal was a $100million with 50% of that committed by the feds. Difficult to conceive of Higgs committing that much.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:38 PM

Good policy (?!) from the Growth Committee.

Quote:
It is recommended that the Growth Committee:
1. Receive and file the attached report and presentation on the Community
Enhancement Project.
2. Recommend that Common Council aggressively pursue with the Province
of New Brunswick the following improvements outlined by the Community
Enhancement Project:
a. The ability to implement a Vacant Building Tax and/or a Vacant
Building Registry linked to the property tax system; and
b. An improved Tax Sale process that better addresses building
abandonment.

3. Endorse a 1-year pilot of an Unsightly Repair Program conditional on
recommendation (2) being approved.
4. Direct staff to implement the enhanced programs and return to Growth
Committee with any additional resource requirements.
5. Recommend that Common Council direct staff to amend the Beautification
Grant Policy to migrate the Beautification Grant Program to the North End

for 2023.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 6:18 PM

Telegraph Journal says the causeway will be raised. 3-5 year project. No idea how high, whether this impacts the dormant plan to add rail capacity infill on the Courteney Bay side of the causeway, or when it will start. $30M project, $18M from the city and $12M from the feds.

https://tj.news/greater-saint-john/1...lert?ref=alert

And finally some publicity for the gargantuan JDI retaining wall on the west side of the Reversing Falls train bridge. Apparently this is one of the largest retaining walls supporting a railway in the world, and definitely the highest in North America. Irving built it in 6 months for $16M. Why don't we get them to build the causeway instead of the museum (lol)?

Really cool drone shot at the link: https://tj.news/greater-saint-john/102022057

I had no idea this project was as extensive as it was until I went down to Fallsview Park on someone's advice- it's really massive.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Telegraph Journal says the causeway will be raised. 3-5 year project. No idea how high, whether this impacts the dormant plan to add rail capacity infill on the Courteney Bay side of the causeway, or when it will start. $30M project, $18M from the city and $12M from the feds.

https://tj.news/greater-saint-john/1...lert?ref=alert

And finally some publicity for the gargantuan JDI retaining wall on the west side of the Reversing Falls train bridge. Apparently this is one of the largest retaining walls supporting a railway in the world, and definitely the highest in North America. Irving built it in 6 months for $16M. Why don't we get them to build the causeway instead of the museum (lol)?

Really cool drone shot at the link: https://tj.news/greater-saint-john/102022057

I had no idea this project was as extensive as it was until I went down to Fallsview Park on someone's advice- it's really massive.
THAT is impressive. Had no idea of the scale - maybe we should get Irving to repave our roads or finish twinning the highway to Fredericton.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 7:31 PM

Quote:

I thought they were adding another rail line over the falls due to the increase of rail traffic incoming.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
I thought they were adding another rail line over the falls due to the increase of rail traffic incoming.
Port container traffic is almost all NB Southern headed west - don’t see it go over bridge. Bridge basically serves 2 purposes - interconnection between CN on the east side and NBS and to bring rail to customers such as wallboard, refinery, mill - it’s not a busy crossing.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 8:47 PM

AFAIK the 'twinned' section will run from Suffolk St W, through Simms Corner behind Moosehead, roughly 4KM. From Moosehead to the Logistics Park there already two lines.

SJ should use this opportunity to 'encourage' the rail line owner to make a substantial donation to improving the Shoreline Trail and/or Seaside Park.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 11:31 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Why was the retaining wall needed? The bridge was just on piers before. Was it insufficient?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Why was the retaining wall needed? The bridge was just on piers before. Was it insufficient?
I think the piers were over 100 years old, cracking, and it was cheaper/less disruptive to negate them than replace them. The bridge itself- the span over the river- is apparently in good shape.

It's really impressive at water level. I'd recommend taking a look from Fallsview.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces