HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 8:29 PM

Excited to see what the final design ends up looking like. I hope we get to see them sooner than later, though
Quote:
a spokesperson for Tishman Speyer said, “these changes will create a more viable project. Tishman Speyer is committed to moving the project forward at the point and time that make sense.”
doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this will move all that quickly.

I don't think we should be too worried about the final design being super benign. Tishman Speyer is partially behind Mission Rock just across the creek and that's shaping up to look great. They also developed MIRA on Folsom.

The massing diagram reminds me a bit of this SCB project in Chicago which I think most of us would be happy to have dropped on the corner of 4th and Townsend. https://www.scb.com/project/5252/

Hope i'm wrong about it moving slowly! Also, I wonder what's happening with 330 Townsend?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 8:52 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by obemearg View Post
Excited to see what the final design ends up looking like. I hope we get to see them sooner than later, though doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this will move all that quickly.

I don't think we should be too worried about the final design being super benign. Tishman Speyer is partially behind Mission Rock just across the creek and that's shaping up to look great. They also developed MIRA on Folsom.

The massing diagram reminds me a bit of this SCB project in Chicago which I think most of us would be happy to have dropped on the corner of 4th and Townsend. https://www.scb.com/project/5252/

Hope i'm wrong about it moving slowly! Also, I wonder what's happening with 330 Townsend?
The SCB project looks nice! A twin tower variation of that would look pretty good, IMO.

Also hoping this project comes online soon. 1,148 units is nothing to sneeze at!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 5:22 PM
你的媽媽

This one got tweaked a little bit. Went from two 39-story, 429 ft towers with 1,148 units to one 39-story tower but increased to 440 ft, and one 37-story tower at 400 ft, and a total of 1,096 units. Retail and POPOS space also increased slightly and car parking decreased slightly.

The updated specs:

- one 39-story, 440 ft tower and one 37-story, 400 ft tower
- 1,096 units
- 9,750 sq ft retail
- 8,090 sq ft POPOS
- Underground parking for 280 cars and 427 bicycles
- Notable public transportation: diagonal to San Francisco Caltrain station, one block from 4th & King Muni Metro station, one block from 4th & Brannan Muni Metro station

Article to follow.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 5:28 PM
你的媽媽

And again to reiterate these are just massing illustrations and do not reflect the proposed design whatsoever. They did release a statement providing some insight into possible design elements, however.

Quote:
New, Slightly Reduced Plans For 655 4th Street In SoMa, San Francisco

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON NOVEMBER 23, 2022

Reduced plans have been filed for the two-tower residential proposal at 655 4th Street, located across from the Caltrain Station in SoMa, San Francisco. Since the initial application this summer, the project capacity has shrunk from 1,148 to 1,096 units. Massing for the two towers has also shifted, with one now taller than the other. Architectural details remain undepicted with massing illustrations drafted by Solomon Cordwell Buenz, though the firm has published some revealing comments from the design review findings.

Solomon Cordwell Buenz is the architect for 655 4th Street. According to the project application, the revised architectural design “aims at blending the classic SOMA warehouse with a tower typology, reflecting its location at the edge of the Central SOMA Plan and adjacent to Mission Bay.” While this information is not yet translated to the renderings, the design review findings suggest an architectural juxtaposition similar to what Stanton Architecture has proposed for 130 Townsend Street.

The documents go on to share that “the [podium building’s] façade is intended to be a more solid cementitious material with recessed glazing to relate to SOMA’s brick & mortar warehouse construction. The towers’ appearance will be more reflective of the urban skyline, and will be differentiated using texture and/or color.”

The project will yield a combined 1.26 million square feet with 1.16 million square feet for housing, 140,000 square feet for a two-level basement garage, 9,750 square feet for retail, and 8,090 square feet for the public plaza. Unit sizes will vary with 251 studios, 403 one-bedrooms, 392 two-bedrooms, and 50 three-bedrooms. Parking will be included for around 280 cars and 427 bicycles.

The development will sit on top of an eight- to eleven-story podium building with 436 apartments and a 22,000 square feet amenity deck on the 11th floor. The amenity deck will connect between the podium and the tower bases with a fitness center, pet care, spa facility, music room, gaming center, and maker space.

Tower A will be closer to 4th Street, being the shorter tower with 37 floors rising 400 feet high with 317,460 square feet of residential space for 317 units. Tower B will be closer to Townsend Street, rising 39 floors with a rooftop height of 440 feet. The structure will yield 341,950 square feet for 343 apartments.
https://sfyimby.com/2022/11/new-slig...francisco.html

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 6:18 PM
你的媽媽

The SFYIMBY article brings up 130 Townsend as an example of what this project envisions as far as design incorporating the brick and mortar typology of Central SoMa's warehouses. I think this project has the potential to turn out quite handsomely and would fit in well with the existing neighborhood.

Here are some other good examples of recent projects utilizing the same aesthetic:
https://goo.gl/maps/mLdE8A23znpT4tF58
https://goo.gl/maps/xX1bfUrou675PyjW9
https://goo.gl/maps/tbcSVe88322xtJYN6
https://goo.gl/maps/bqgQwHwQHUWQLrtV9

And 130 Townsend itself:

https://sfyimby.com/2021/02/a-new-bu...francisco.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 3:24 PM
你的媽媽

New renderings + the specs got tweaked again.

Just as a refresher, the original proposal was two 39-story, 429 ft towers with 1,148 units, then changed to one 39-story, 440 ft tower and one 37-story, 400 ft tower for a total of 1,096 units, now currently at one 40-story, 435 ft tower and one 38-story, 405 ft tower for a total of 1,105 units.

Retail space and car parking also increased slightly, POPOS has remained the same, and bicycle parking decreased slightly.

The updated specs:
- one 40-story, 435 ft tower and one 38-story, 405 ft tower
- 1,105 units (129 studios, 539 1 BR, 400 2BR, 37 3BR)
- 9,920 sq ft retail (three spaces)
- 8,090 sq ft POPOS
- Underground parking for 284 cars and 408 bicycles
- Notable public transportation: diagonal to San Francisco Caltrain station, one block from 4th & King Muni Metro station, one block from 4th & Brannan Muni Metro station

The site:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/kxGWTDcJa9iJVjDa6

Quote:
Elevations For Proposed Caltrain-Adjacent Tower In San Francisco

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON OCTOBER 23, 2023

New elevations have been published for the double-tower proposal at 655 4th Street in SoMa, San Francisco. The project is one of the largest in the city’s pipeline, aiming to create over a thousand apartments on 1.6 acres directly across from Caltrain’s San Francisco Station. Tishman Speyer, the same company behind the nearby Mission Rock master development, is the project sponsor.

The development will rise from the parcel with an L-shaped 11-story podium deck. The 4th Street Tower will rise 38 floors to a 405-foot pinnacle, while the Townsend Tower will rise 40 floors with a 435-foot peak. The project will create around 1.04 million square feet, with 1.03 million square feet for housing and 9,920 square feet for retail. Parking will be included for 408 bicycles and 284 cars. Three retail spaces will be created, two along Townsend Street and one along 4th Street.

Once complete, the building will create 1,105 homes across the podium and towers. Apartment sizes will vary, with 129 studios, 539 one-bedrooms, 400 two-bedrooms, and 37 three-bedrooms. Communal open space will be created with an expansive third-floor terrace space, two medium-sized setback terraces on the tenth floor, a podium-top terrace on the 13th floor, and two rooftop decks.

Solomon Cordwell Buenz and Iwamotoscott Architecture are jointly responsible for the architecture. The new illustrations show a pixelated rainscreen facade above the solid, dark metal-clad foundation. Elevations provide a glimpse into the prospective design but don’t reveal much about the three-dimensional massing. The most distinctive architectural feature revealed from the floor plans is the carved inner-lot corners of both towers. The articulated walls will create more corner window spaces and increase the distance to an average of 80 feet between the two towers.

The main lobby and two retail spaces will look onto the corner plaza designed by landscape architecture firm Bionic. The small plaza will feature built-in benches around raised planters. A large freeform planter will carve out a portion of the plaza, creating a direct path from the street to the residential lobby while giving the retail tenant along 4th Street a tree-shaded open space ideal for outdoor seating.
https://sfyimby.com/2023/10/elevatio...francisco.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 3:27 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 5:34 PM

obviously build it but why can't we have something cool like the original design...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 5:59 PM
你的媽媽

The original design was unique but I actually wasn't a big (pun intended) fan of its overall execution. The way it came together made the massing quite bulky, and the angle of curvature of how they sprouted out of the ground reminded me of garden eels.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 9:31 PM

11/22/2023 - New images posted via SF YIMBY today. The busy windows do not appeal to me, but I guess it does not matter looking out of them.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/antinous/3551tt0he4]655-4th-Street-rendering-by-Solomon-Cordwell-Buenz-and-IwamotoScott-777x633[/url
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/antinous/7zq2j7S8zq]655-4th-Street-street-view-from-4th-and-Townsend-rendering-by-Solomon-Cordwell-Buenz-and-IwamotoScott[/url

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 9:36 PM
你的媽媽

Yikes! Glad this project is moving forward but that is one awful design. Would much rather prefer plain generic glass.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals