HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 2:31 AM

This article details the (roughly) inverse relationship between urbanity and danger. Speaking very generally, you're most safe in metropolitan America, and least safe in rural America.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...?sref=qzusa8bC

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 4:16 AM
Dryer lint inspector

It's not really about the size of the area but the socioeconomics that determines crime. Urban areas throw everyone in together where as the classes tend to be dispersed in small towns. I lived in an idyllic town in New Hampshire where you could leave the doors unlocked but a town a few miles away was a crime ridden shit hole.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomayoplease View Post
Alright my friends.., considering the economic crisis what is in your opinion the best city to live considering the following.
The capacity of the city to stay alive economically despite the current and bloomy future
The capacity of growth despite the negative macroeconomic scenario
Taxes and redtape ( obviously the less the better)
jobs
And of course it has to have things to do...bars, clubs, restaurants , parks etc
If things get bad, near abundant water and farms for food. Wildlife to hunt for meat. Regional self sufficiency. Low crime. Cheap housing or lumber to build a cabin. Climate not too harsh.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 6:25 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
There has been a material increase in household energy bills (and more rises to come), but the average dual-tariff (gas and electricity) in the summer was $2.2k. If you’re incurring heating-only costs of $6k for a 2-bed flat, there is something seriously wrong with the property. You’d have to be running the heating on max and windows open 24/7/365-days a year, and still struggle to hit $6k.
Here's the 6K figure: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-5-000-a-year

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/energy-bi...ils-price-cap/

Our bill was $4K not 6, and a summary of underpayment for the year. As mentioned the flat leaks heat like bitch (no double glazing) and our flatmate bought one of those portable heaters to use all day, wfh for months, with London tariffs. We were just as sceptical and are of course contesting it, but there's gonna be little proof against meter readings.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 11:55 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

A skeleton once in Khartoum
asked a spirit up into his room
they spent the night
In the eeriest fight
as to which should be frightened of whom

(inside the cold maw of a gargoyles mouth - City of London)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 12:26 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This article details the (roughly) inverse relationship between urbanity and danger. Speaking very generally, you're most safe in metropolitan America, and least safe in rural America.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...?sref=qzusa8bC
didnt read, but as a rural property owner primarily residing in an established suburb - aside from typical issues affecting poor whites - rural highways tend to be fairly dangerous. same with curvy exurban horse country roads - seemingly lots of high school student deaths, sadly. curvy, hilly roads and smart phones/distractions/drinking don’t mix.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomayoplease View Post
lets divide by regions
my pick
North America no particular order)
Dallas
Miami
Salt Lake City
Toronto

South America
São Paulo
Florianopolis
Santiago

Europe
Amsterdam
Frankfurt
Stockholm
London

Asia
Seoul
Shenzhen
Singapore
KL

Oceania
Melbourne
Sydney

these are all cities i have visited.
Miami? Heck no. Florida in general is becoming increasingly difficult for average people to sustain, South Florida is next level struggle.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
didnt read, but as a rural property owner primarily residing in an established suburb - aside from typical issues affecting poor whites - rural highways tend to be fairly dangerous. same with curvy exurban horse country roads - seemingly lots of high school student deaths, sadly. curvy, hilly roads and smart phones/distractions/drinking don’t mix.
Beyond our intractable political divides and poisonous social media, it gets to people generally being horrible at risk assessment. "Transit is unsafe, so I'll ride Ubers". "Living in a big metro is unsafe, so I'll move to the country". "Flying is unsafe, so I'll drive".

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Beyond our intractable political divides and poisonous social media, it gets to people generally being horrible at risk assessment. "Transit is unsafe, so I'll ride Ubers". "Living in a big metro is unsafe, so I'll move to the country". "Flying is unsafe, so I'll drive".
This.

Also, how do people expect to make money living in the middle of nowhere?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
people generally being horrible at risk assessment.
The truest truth.

"OMG, I would never raise my family in the city, it's WAY too dangerous!!!" , says the soccer mom as she loads her kids into the car every single morning and every single afternoon shuttling them to school and back along high-speed exurban stroads (shown to be the most dangerous style of roadway).

In America, automobile related deaths and injuries don't count or something, I guess. It's very interesting how that significant aspect of the danger equation is always wholesale ignored by the vast majority of people in this country.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 26, 2022 at 2:26 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
The truest truth.

"OMG, I would never raise my family in the city, it's WAY too dangerous!!!" , says the soccer mom as she loads her kids into the car every single morning and every single afternoon shuttling them to school and back along high-speed exurban stroads (shown to be the most dangerous style of roadway).

In America, automobile related deaths and injuries don't count or something, I guess. It's very interesting how that significant aspect of the danger equation is always wholesale ignored by the vast majority of people in this country.
It's because the media doesn't talk about it. But auto related injuries has been the leading cause of death for kids probably since the Model T.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It's because the media doesn't talk about it. But auto related injuries has been the leading cause of death for kids probably since the Model T.
Sadly the #1 cause of death to children in the United States are guns

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Yeah, you're right. Auto accidents are #2. Either way the leading cause of death in children is a failure of government.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 12:37 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. Auto accidents are #2. Either way the leading cause of death in children is a failure of government.
well, it could be worse, but at least one of those two major death weapons is highly regulated, so we can keep close track of everything about it.

i mean we could just as easily drop that gubamint getting all up in our lives and let anyone drive willy nilly.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Here's the 6K figure: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-5-000-a-yearhttps://www.lbc.co.uk/news/energy-bi...ils-price-cap/
Our bill was $4K not 6, and a summary of underpayment for the year. As mentioned the flat leaks heat like bitch (no double glazing) and our flatmate bought one of those portable heaters to use all day, wfh for months, with London tariffs. We were just as sceptical and are of course contesting it, but there's gonna be little proof against meter readings.
Not to probe too much, but you did say $6k for the year to heat a 2-bed flat in the past tense which would make you an extreme outlier before the recent price rises and interventions. The average dual-tariff for a house in the summer was $2.2k. That isn’t to downplay the seriousness of the sudden increase in energy costs (and the impact on households and businesses), but distorting the average position is not helpful.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Quote:
This shocked me so I did a little more looking into it. Not that these details discount anything either of you said, but in case anyone else was curious as I was, motor vehicles have long been the leading cause of death for children/adolescents (ages 0-19), but guns became the leading cause in 2020, due in large part to a steady decline in the past ~25 years of motor vehicle deaths (great!) but also a much more recent spike in gun deaths (not great). See e.g. the chart in this paper:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmc2201761

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 10:59 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
Not to probe too much, but you did say $6k for the year to heat a 2-bed flat in the past tense which would make you an extreme outlier before the recent price rises and interventions. The average dual-tariff for a house in the summer was $2.2k. That isn’t to downplay the seriousness of the sudden increase in energy costs (and the impact on households and businesses), but distorting the average position is not helpful.
Im not lying Nito, because I was moving out -end of tenure- our outstanding bill for the year was well over £4K (not counting the £107 monthly we already paid). This made it well over $6K dollar-wise - I can get screen shots if you wanna.

As mentioned we are of course contesting it, although my main worry is the little heater our Greek flatmate had on for about 10hrs a day for months, might have somehow made this possible -about 20 years ago we were quoted £5 a day to run one of those things, nowadays would be worse of course. He's since measured the output and is adamant although high, it can't be that high. We've got our hopes pinned on it being a wrong reading, though the readings we sent in each month to the former company (that went under with the fuel crisis), and that they ignored apparently, may count against us.

We've since heard a couple of other people on the estate are seeing similar bills, so not sure what's going on. I sometimes wonder if we are doing that thing where we're paying off the debt from previous tenants, though the other housemate's been here for a decade and does this final tally every time someone moves out.

The more worrying scenario is that the new company (OVO btw) has tallied up a years unpaid energy, and set it to the rate at the time (rather than measured from rates before, theyve added it between our last ignored reading to the current month in one go). This was calculated before the cap of course.

Long story short we (may be) paying an entire annual bill, but set at the highest rate, without a cap. But I honestly hope to God it's a read error -either way we have grounds to contest it.

Last edited by muppet; Nov 2, 2022 at 11:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 1:01 AM
if I sang out of tune

Anyhoo, this is our new payment plan:

^if we agree to this new rate moving on, it would work out at £6,264 (or $7,136) a year. What was freaky was this 2 weeks before the big September increase too (but also the cap being announced).

Last edited by muppet; Nov 3, 2022 at 7:07 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions