HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 7:14 PM

Holy crap.
By my calculations, this thing is around 390 ft tall. THIS is the type of development I have been waiting for.

North Philly is about to take off in the best of ways.

EDIT: I forgot to include the giant screen! This thing could easily break 400 ft!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 7:44 PM

Incredible!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Holy crap.
By my calculations, this thing is around 390 ft tall. THIS is the type of development I have been waiting for.

North Philly is about to take off in the best of ways.

EDIT: I forgot to include the giant screen! This thing could easily break 400 ft!
Yes it is! I could feel it when I was attending Temple before graduating last May, and I definitely feel it now. North Broad is finally starting to see some its most prime parcels developed, rowhome development is finally starting to cross Cecil B. Moore Ave (the current line of demarcation in North Philly, imo), and the North Station District will add some much-needed energy to the northern-most reaches of Lower North Philly. I was walking through Brewerytown on Saturday, and I couldn't help but notice how Cecil B. Moore Ave is starting to see an increase in renovations (I also saw signage for a ground-up project on the Ave, which I haven't seen west of 21st Street) and development has leapfrogged into the southern end of Strawberry Mansion (with a stand-out new development at 33rd and York). I have a feeling that the area between Susquehanna and Lehigh Avenues between the ex-Reading main and 22nd Street will also start to take off when the North Station District really begins.

I think it's reasonable to say that (at least) Lower North Philly will transform into a place to be within our lifetimes! Interesting things are also about to begin around Broad and Erie, so we'll see how far north new development can go!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 7:55 PM

Love that something is proposed for here! Think I like the design too. It looks like Society Hill Towers brought into the 21st Century.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 8:04 PM

If he plans on breaking ground in July, he'll probably submit to CDR for either May or June. We should get an official height then

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Yes it is! I could feel it when I was attending Temple before graduating last May, and I definitely feel it now. North Broad is finally starting to see some its most prime parcels developed, rowhome development is finally starting to cross Cecil B. Moore Ave (the current line of demarcation in North Philly, imo), and the North Station District will add some much-needed energy to the northern-most reaches of Lower North Philly. I was walking through Brewerytown on Saturday, and I couldn't help but notice how Cecil B. Moore Ave is starting to see an increase in renovations (I also saw signage for a ground-up project on the Ave, which I haven't seen west of 21st Street) and development has leapfrogged into the southern end of Strawberry Mansion (with a stand-out new development at 33rd and York). I have a feeling that the area between Susquehanna and Lehigh Avenues between the ex-Reading main and 22nd Street will also start to take off when the North Station District really begins.

I think it's reasonable to say that (at least) Lower North Philly will transform into a place to be within our lifetimes! Interesting things are also about to begin around Broad and Erie, so we'll see how far north new development can go!
Since lower north philly used to be the place to be, I hope that the momentum will lead to more historical designations in the area before they're too far gone to save. North philly has some of the best architecture in the city.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 9:53 AM

This is a game changer for that area! 400 feet possibly.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 1:06 PM

I hope this actually moves forward within the timetable outlined, but whenever a developer makes an announcement about a project and then promises groundbreaking in only 3 MONTHS I am very skeptical.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 1:13 PM

I give Blumenfeld a lot of credit, he seemed to be a lot of "talk" about 5-6 years ago, but the investments look to be paying off--and gaining the attention of other developers.
Divine Lorraine, the Met, Studebaker, the 1300 Fairmount development, restaurants, it seems to be happening for North Broad finally.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuKbOYOjy-s/

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Since lower north philly used to be the place to be, I hope that the momentum will lead to more historical designations in the area before they're too far gone to save. North philly has some of the best architecture in the city.
I couldn't agree more, North Philly's architecture could compete against the best of what West Philly has to offer! I mostly worry about the grand homes along 33rd Street, Lehigh Avenue, and Diamond Street, along with some of the other gems in the Lower North. The three-story rowhomes and brownstones are also very much worth saving. I've been inside of a few of those homes while attending Temple, and the interior details are just as amazing as the exteriors.

Part of Diamond Street is already protected, but 33rd Street (from the railroad to Ridge Ave) and Lehigh Avenue (mostly Germantown Ave to 17th Street) both need to be within a protected historic district.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 2:14 PM

The iconic Belmont plateau vista has seemed a bit skewed to the right in recent years. As has been mentioned, building tall along the North Broad and (to a lesser extent) Market East axes is the way to remedy that. In my wildest dreams I didn't imagine kicking that off with a 400 footer at Spring Garden.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I hope this actually moves forward within the timetable outlined, but whenever a developer makes an announcement about a project and then promises groundbreaking in only 3 MONTHS I am very skeptical.
On the other hand, that sort of extreme puffery is the way to diminish his well-earned credibility if he can't deliver. I haven't paid enough attention to Blumenfeld in the past to know whether he's prone to that. Given its location (close but not too close to the core), location (new tax law opportunity zone), and location (wide boulevards, mass transit access), it's not unrealistic to think that this is an easy sell when it comes to financing.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 2:35 PM

There has been work on the site for a couple weeks now. Not sure what exactly they are doing as I didn't get a good look driving by.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:09 PM

The city is going to have to revisit the timing of the lights on North Broad if all of this development comes to fruition. Pedestrians are going to need enough time to actually cross the road.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmountFellow View Post
There has been work on the site for a couple weeks now. Not sure what exactly they are doing as I didn't get a good look driving by.
They had a drilling rig on site a coule of weeks ago, parked alongside a SEPTA van. Wasn't sure if it was the developer, or SEPTA fixing something at the nearby stop. Guess I have an answer to that...They tore up a good bit of the concrete, so whatever they were doing it wasn't just a couple of testing cores.

The timeline is ambitious, but I think this is the opportunity zone effect. Lots of money looking to be invested quickly. Blumenfeld has the infrastructure in place to satisfy people looking to put money to work now. I doubt he will make a summer groundbreaking, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if he starts by year end.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Given its location (close but not too close to the core), location (new tax law opportunity zone), and location (wide boulevards, mass transit access)
I see what you did there (clever boy).

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 4:53 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
aka T.O.D. Wheels been invented. Blumenfeld just smart to apply it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
I give Blumenfeld a lot of credit, he seemed to be a lot of "talk" about 5-6 years ago, but the investments look to be paying off--and gaining the attention of other developers.
Divine Lorraine, the Met, Studebaker, the 1300 Fairmount development, restaurants, it seems to be happening for North Broad finally.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuKbOYOjy-s/
And just look at that YUGE parking lot on the SWC of Broad & Melon. I hope WHEN some developer releases the design plans for that parcel all our jaws drop. That is a big chunk of real estate. Let your imagination run wild.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 7:37 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAF1968 View Post
And just look at that YUGE parking lot on the SWC of Broad & Melon. I hope WHEN some developer releases the design plans for that parcel all our jaws drop. That is a big chunk of real estate. Let your imagination run wild.
The Philadelphia Corporation for Aging loves their 2 parking lots-- I'm sure Blumenfeld has offered the moon and the stars for them.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
On the other hand, that sort of extreme puffery is the way to diminish his well-earned credibility if he can't deliver. I haven't paid enough attention to Blumenfeld in the past to know whether he's prone to that. Given its location (close but not too close to the core), location (new tax law opportunity zone), and location (wide boulevards, mass transit access), it's not unrealistic to think that this is an easy sell when it comes to financing.

Regarding when this might start-----since this is in a tax opportunity zone my guess is when this gets built and what gets built will all be dependent on Blumenfeld's ability to tap into the market of people who are looking to take advantage of the new tax code.
The ground breaking might just be another chance to get some press, like what happened at 1911 Walnut St. The drawings that have been released certainly don't look like anything near being final.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals