HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 1:48 PM

2nd Crane (for the student tower) is now erected .

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Champion View Post
2nd Crane (for the student tower) is now erected .
I love when cranes are erected.....

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 4:57 AM

Student tower

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 11:25 AM

Looks like their on the final parking level of the apartment tower. I'm sure it'll speed up after this.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 12:47 AM

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 1:39 PM

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 2:52 PM

These buildings are going to have a major presence in the skyline. Pretty much taller than anything in the area on top of being on one of the highest elevations in midtown.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 11:26 PM

Kinetic & Momentum

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 12:50 AM

They were jacking up 1025's crane today... will probably go up pretty quick now.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:39 AM

Will they be adding additional parking below the student housing tower? I'd think the 8 massive levels of parking they have for the apartment tower would be enough for both.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Will they be adding additional parking below the student housing tower? I'd think the 8 massive levels of parking they have for the apartment tower would be enough for both.
Both towers sit on an 8 stories parking podium.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Champion View Post
Both towers sit on an 8 stories parking podium.
It’s 10 floors of parking from what I heard the other day.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 10:50 PM

Another 10 levels of parking is insane...but not surprised.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Another 10 levels of parking is insane...but not surprised.
Unfortunately, lenders won't finance any development without it. Even though this is within walking distance of the Midtown train station, it doesn't really matter. The huge majority of our population that isn't served by MARTA will only continue to grow. Until we develop a more robust transit system, parking isn't going anywhere.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Unfortunately, lenders won't finance any development without it. Even though this is within walking distance of the Midtown train station, it doesn't really matter. The huge majority of our population that isn't served by MARTA will only continue to grow. Until we develop a more robust transit system, parking isn't going anywhere.
But we have plenty of examples counter to this. For example, all of the student housing towers have low parking ratios. The Whistler is something like 30 spots for 22 stories of residential. Lilli added zero additional parking. Colony Square redo added an office building at 15th and Peachtree without adding any parking. Those are just Midtown examples off the top of my head.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
But we have plenty of examples counter to this. For example, all of the student housing towers have low parking ratios. The Whistler is something like 30 spots for 22 stories of residential. Lilli added zero additional parking. Colony Square redo added an office building at 15th and Peachtree without adding any parking. Those are just Midtown examples off the top of my head.
Developers hate parking. Obscenely expensive. If they could get away with not building it, they would. There is some economic reason they are adding it to these projects. It is probably like having a bathtub in a home. People might rarely use it, but it is good for resale value because you want your property to be as marketable as possible when it comes time to sell.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 6:38 PM

Quote:
But we have plenty of examples counter to this. For example, all of the student housing towers have low parking ratios. The Whistler is something like 30 spots for 22 stories of residential.
Whistler is in the middle of Tech Square, a lot of people can walk across the street to class. Those that can't can literally walk to the corner and jump on the very frequent Tech trolley.

Quote:
Lilli added zero additional parking.
I guess you forgot that they struck a deal with the Georgian Terrace Hotel to share their underutilized deck just steps away right next door?

Quote:
Colony Square redo added an office building at 15th and Peachtree without adding any parking. Those are just Midtown examples off the top of my head.
Yep, and Colony Square fortunately overbuilt parking back in the 70's. I've been parking there for many years, and have always found a space.

This isn't DC, Boston or NYC. Again, until we get more robust transit, parking decks aren't going anywhere.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I guess you forgot that they struck a deal with the Georgian Terrace Hotel to share their underutilized deck just steps away right next door?
Name one place in Midtown that doesn't have an underutilized deck just steps away. We don't need these new 1,000+ space parking decks, and they are detrimental to the walkability and livability of Midtown.

And I'm not engaging with you any more on this, because even when presented with specific counterexamples, you just dig in your heels. Luckily you don't have any say over parking maximums in Midtown, and city council is already working on this.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 7:38 PM

Parking doesn't count against FAR and it must have active uses at ground level. Its amount only affects building height, not walkability or density.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 9:33 PM

Quote:
And I'm not engaging with you any more on this, because even when presented with specific counterexamples, you just dig in your heels. Luckily you don't have any say over parking maximums in Midtown, and city council is already working on this.
Fine, I guess truth and reason is a foreign concept to you. Take all your toys and stomp off home like a petulant brat, I don't give a shit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta