HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 9:29 PM
BANNED

My gf and I were planning on getting some Beaks this week and were very sad to learn they have closed temporarily. We ended up trying Milu instead, which was very good. There has never been a more important time to support local restaurants.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 6:07 AM

That's a shame. I drove by it at noon today, and noticed it was closed, which is unusual for a Friday. I had a bad feeling it had closed for good.

I haven't tried Milu yet, but must do so one of these days. Which location did you go to?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 1:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
That's a shame. I drove by it at noon today, and noticed it was closed, which is unusual for a Friday. I had a bad feeling it had closed for good.

I haven't tried Milu yet, but must do so one of these days. Which location did you go to?
The Vic Ave one. We pre-ordered online and picked it up. I got a sub, she got a rice bowl, and we had fresh rolls to share. Gonna have to try their bubble tea next time.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 9:40 PM

As per Beaks' Facebook page, as of January 11th they are temporarily closed. According to a story in today's Leader-Post, they are closed due to staff shortages. It also mentions that The Keg on Albert South is also temporarily closed for the same reason.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 5:00 AM

A lot of restaurants closing temporarily in Regina last week due to their staff coming down with Omicron. This should be temporary (let's hope for these places)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:27 PM

'Out of options': Sask. restaurants closing, scrambling due to effects of COVID-19

I don't see Restaurants Canada getting their way and vaccine mandates being dropped.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
'Out of options': Sask. restaurants closing, scrambling due to effects of COVID-19

I don't see Restaurants Canada getting their way and vaccine mandates being dropped.
I'm not confident that dropping the mandate would actually help. Personally (and only speaking for my own circle), many vaccinated people weren't going to restaurants until the mandate, and likely would stop going if they mandate was dropped. True, it matters less with Omicron due to immune escape, but I think it would still track (the behaviour of people). What is really needed is better financial support, if anything.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I'm not confident that dropping the mandate would actually help. Personally (and only speaking for my own circle), many vaccinated people weren't going to restaurants until the mandate, and likely would stop going if they mandate was dropped. True, it matters less with Omicron due to immune escape, but I think it would still track (the behaviour of people). What is really needed is better financial support, if anything.
This, exactly, but alas Saskatchewan is a special province and the only one to not have access to the federal government's financial supports thanks to our own provincial government's inaction.

As far as the Mercury Cafe goes, I have actually never been there so my gf and I are going to give a try this weekend and help provide them some support. I hope everyone here who has the means goes out and helps out our struggling local businesses. Consider takeout if not dining in, when available, instead of using exploitative food delivery apps.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I am largely avoiding eating out, but have a couple of times since the mandates have started (and have done takeout at places that require proof of vaccination).

I wouldn't have gone to any of them if not for the vaccination requirement.

I probably don't matter since I am being careful, but I bet there are a lot of people who would not dine out if not for the requirement.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 3:39 PM

I used to go to the Merc on Fridays for breakfast or fish & chips. They have a good breakfast (breakfast special M-F) and their fish & chips (Fridays) are probably the best in the city (I speak from experience). I feel bad about not going as often since covid, and on top of that, we have rising prices which limits how often I can eat out or order in. However, I do support local businesses.

Restaurants are getting hit with a double whammy. Not good.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 2:38 AM

Eating out has gotten really expensive the last 3-5 years and, for a lot of people, COVID hasn't made their finances better. I don't think it's just vaccine passports keeping people from eating out. It's also lack of disposable income.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 1:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Eating out has gotten really expensive the last 3-5 years and, for a lot of people, COVID hasn't made their finances better. I don't think it's just vaccine passports keeping people from eating out. It's also lack of disposable income.
Is it just me or is the produce section of grocery stores shrinking too? I noticed that at the Southland Safeway which recently got a makeover.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Is it just me or is the produce section of grocery stores shrinking too? I noticed that at the Southland Safeway which recently got a makeover.
I always get my groceries at Cathedral Safeway, and I have not seen a reduction in their produce section. It is still the same size, and very well stocked (as is the rest of the store).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I always get my groceries at Cathedral Safeway, and I have not seen a reduction in their produce section. It is still the same size, and very well stocked (as is the rest of the store).
Yeah I haven't seen any of these grocery shortages the media is on about at any of the stores I shop. Sure, sometimes they don't have something I'm trying to buy but it's always been that way.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 11:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That one is still pretty new so I doubt they have changed anything since they opened to replace the old location. Southland Safeway has been around for a long time and they recently had a renovation. The produce section in that store in particular just feels tiny compared its overall size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Yeah I haven't seen any of these grocery shortages the media is on about at any of the stores I shop. Sure, sometimes they don't have something I'm trying to buy but it's always been that way.
I was talking about the size of the produce section, not the the availability of its stock. I have noticed the produce shortages at Costco recently. Are you suggesting that the media is lying about the produce shortages? Not sure our small city is a good representation of the state of the food supply. Perhaps its a sign that people can't afford to eat fresh produce in this city and instead eat at the myriad Tim Hortons and McDonalds in an effort to survive.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 11:18 PM

Deleted

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 4:54 PM

Arby's to the strip mall next to Sobey's Liquor at Northgate Mall

according to staff at the east location, it will open in the next 2-3 months.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 5:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsey2k View Post
according to staff at the east location, it will open in the next 2-3 months.
I still cannot be convinced that my buddy is not the only one in this city that goes to Arbys.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 10:33 PM

I heard that you have to be really hungry to eat at Arby's

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 11:59 PM

I have never eaten at Arby’s and I’m pretty sure my family has never either.
Didn’t there used to be only one location at Albert Street and 1st Ave North?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan