HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
Slim shelters are possible, and Rideau street has a number of them. The issue is that they are too shallow for a mobility device to enter, so they can't have glass on the front. Customers prefer the 4-sided shelter over the 3-sided ones and complain if the bigger ones aren't installed.
Sure 4-sided shelters are better than the slim 3-sided ones, but when OC Transpo pretends like the 3-sided shelters don't exist on many projects, they end up with 3 outcomes:
  1. There is enough space for a full-sized shelter in a "floating bus stop" style platform (rare!)
  2. The full-size shelter gets pushed to the back of the right-of-way, making waiting transit riders less visible and increasing conflicts with cyclists; or
  3. The shelter gets removed altogether (most common)

I'd rather a 3-sided slim shelter than no shelter at all.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Sure 4-sided shelters are better than the slim 3-sided ones, but when OC Transpo pretends like the 3-sided shelters don't exist on many projects, they end up with 3 outcomes:
  1. There is enough space for a full-sized shelter in a "floating bus stop" style platform (rare!)
  2. The full-size shelter gets pushed to the back of the right-of-way, making waiting transit riders less visible and increasing conflicts with cyclists; or
  3. The shelter gets removed altogether (most common)

I'd rather a 3-sided slim shelter than no shelter at all.
It's not the shelter that limits space though - it's also waiting are and room to deploy the ramp. If the cycle track is behind the platform area, you need over 2m of depth to deploy the ramp and have room for the person with the mobility device to turn at the bottom without entering the cycle track. Any less, and you're further ahead keeping the track against the road and blocking it completely when a ramp deployment occurs.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
I'm sure that collisions between cyclists and people getting on or off the bus will happen. I would rather see the bike lane go behind the bus stop and shelter rather than in front.
That is, on paper, the City of Ottawa's preference as well.

It is a preference that they have never implemented anywhere, that I am aware of, but it's their preference!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:08 PM

Quote:
It's not the shelter that limits space though - it's also waiting are and room to deploy the ramp. If the cycle track is behind the platform area, you need over 2m of depth to deploy the ramp and have room for the person with the mobility device to turn at the bottom without entering the cycle track. Any less, and you're further ahead keeping the track against the road and blocking it completely when a ramp deployment occurs.
If I'm biking by a bus platform and a ramp deploys on the edge of the cycle track, I'm going to stop to let the wheelchair or stroller out. To think that you need enough room to deploy the ramp and have a wheelchair turn around without touching the cycle track is a non-sensical constraint.

But beyond that I'm talking about putting a shelter on the floating bus platform. The shelter depth absolutely limits your ability to due this - without getting into weird shelter configurations (moving in and out of the shelter through the side, for example) you need 1.8m for the minimum accessible width in front of the shelter + the shelter depth. If your shelter is 2.5m deep that means you can put a shelter on a bus platform that is a minimum of 4.3m deep. If your shelter is 1.5m deep, well that means you can put one on a bus platform that is 3.3m deep.

Smaller bus shelters allow you to put them in more places. Its as simple as that.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
That is, on paper, the City of Ottawa's preference as well.

It is a preference that they have never implemented anywhere, that I am aware of, but it's their preference!
There are a few - Pimisi Station for example. The issue is that it takes significantly more property to do it, which is difficult on a constrained corridor.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 8:42 PM

Quote:
There are a few - Pimisi Station for example. The issue is that it takes significantly more property to do it, which is difficult on a constrained corridor.
But even where they have had room... they haven't done that. It makes for infuriating rider experiences, and even missed trips.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
But even where they have had room... they haven't done that. It makes for infuriating rider experiences, and even missed trips.
Places where it looks like they have room, and places where they actually have room within the property constraints are two different things.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Places where it looks like they have room, and places where they actually have room within the property constraints are two different things.
They had room on St. Patrick, the most egregious example.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 4:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Construction closures lasting until mid-September, begin Sunday on stretch of Montreal Road

Megan Gillis, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Apr 19, 2022 • 56 minutes ago • 1 minute read

Montreal Road will be down to a single westbound lane from St. Laurent Boulevard to Vanier Parkway from Sunday through about mid-September for a $64-million facelift.

Crews will keep replacing aging underground infrastructure and roadway with surface work continuing this year.

Eastbound traffic, including cyclists, will be detoured onto McArthur Avenue along North River Road and Vanier Parkway, connecting to St. Laurent Boulevard, the City of Ottawa said Tuesday.

OC Transpo routes will be modified and some segments of Montreal Road will have two-way traffic mostly for the use for the use of buses.

On-street parking won’t be allowed on Montreal Road between Vanier Parkway and St. Laurent Boulevard with some side street closures also needed.

Access to and from existing driveways will be maintained along Montreal Road heading west only.

Two-way traffic will continue on Montreal Road between North River Road and Vanier Parkway but expect some parking restrictions as the work progresses.

Pedestrian crossings will be maintained around the work, with signed detours will be in place, as will access to local businesses.

“Montreal Road businesses remain open during construction,” city hall said.

The Montreal Road revitalization project includes burying 900 m of overhead hydro lines, building 2 km of new road, cycle tracks, curbs, sidewalks, water main and storm and sanitary sewer, plus utilities, 11 intersections with traffic signals and overlay of the parkway between Montreal Road and McArthur Avenue.

Also on the list are public art for Vanier and Montreal Road and three public areas at Dupuis and Emond streets and Bradley Avenue, and updated transit facilities including bus shelter and benches.

New landscaping will include more than 80 trees and 1,800 shrubs.

Residents can sign up for updates on the project.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-mid-september

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 5:17 PM

Since when did Route 12 quit going downtown? I presume this is another permanent service cut.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Since when did Route 12 quit going downtown? I presume this is another permanent service cut.
It was part of the reconfiguration of routes specific to the construction disruptions.

Councillor Fleury is on record as saying it's temporary.

What's permanent, however, is that route 12 or whatever its future numerical designation will be, will take even longer to run its route when the reconstruction is over, and that this is a deliberate policy decision to "improve" the service.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 4:52 PM

They've announce the Gateway Art piece for the Montreal Road revitalization project

reveal at 3:17min point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RlC_2WV5I

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
They've announce the Gateway Art piece for the Montreal Road revitalization project

reveal at 3:17min point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RlC_2WV5I
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 3:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Vanier celebrates 'massive milestone' as Montreal Road reopens
Two-kilometre stretch was blocked off for $64M rehabilitation project

Sarah Kester · CBC News
Posted: Oct 23, 2022 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 7 hours ago

Montreal Road businesses say they're hoping for more customers now that a two-kilometre stretch under construction since 2019 is once again open to two-way traffic and transit.

The $64-million project spans from North River Road to St. Laurent Boulevard and involves a complete revitalization of the street, with 900 metres of buried hydro lines plus new sewers, water mains and storm drains.

The road itself has also been rebuilt, complete with new bike lanes and sidewalks and improved transit accommodations like bus shelters and benches.

The past three years had been "challenging" ones, especially when the street was restricted to westbound traffic only, said Finnigan's Pub owner Drew Dobson.

"But I guess the real, the fundamental reason for the project was to fix the aging industry infrastructure," Dobson said. "And we had water main breaks regularly, which would close us down. So they needed to do that."

Dobson said while he's happy the road has reopened, he'll be "even happier" when the project is fully completed, something projected to happen next year.

"I think the idea is that the community, the business community will now grow into the street. And hopefully we'll have a thriving, prosperous main street."

The community celebrated the road's opening Saturday with music and food stalls at the Carré de la Francophonie de Vanier, a new public square.

Julia Dahdah, co-owner of the local Quelque Chose Patisserie chain, said the revitalization looks good and hoped it would bring more cyclists and pedestrians to their bakery at the corner of Lajoie Street.

She said sales at her other locations had to make up the difference for lost revenue, as the Montreal Road construction made it hard for customers to find their Vanier bakery.

"We really have, like, high expectations of this change and are hoping to enjoy the renovation of the street next summer," Dahdah said.

Nathalie Carrier, executive director of the Vanier BIA, said the construction has been hard on businesses especially as it coincided with the COVID-19 pandemic.

The road closure meant businesses didn't have access to loading docks, Carrier said, making it hard for food delivery services to do their job.

But the renewed access to Montreal Road and its more pedestrian-friendly road design is really going to help going forward, she added.

"We know that cars don't shop. People shop," said Carrier. "So if you make space for people ... shopping goes up."

People who live in the neighbourhood told CBC News they're happy because the reopening should reduce traffic and allow them better access to side streets.

"I'm a big runner, so it's nice that there's gonna be some more space to go running here," said Marc-Andre Groulx, who lives in the area.

Noah Mank said the landscaping and design of the road looked great, but he was most excited for the renewed access.

"I think it's gonna make getting out of my house a lot easier," he said.

Even with some final landscaping and cycle track work still to be done between now and next spring, outgoing Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury said the reopening was a "massive milestone."

"It's a main street in Ottawa," he said. "It's been under construction for so long."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...pens-1.6626310

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 3:30 PM

They buried power lines on Montreal road but will not when Bank Street gets redone.. odd.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 4:55 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
They buried power lines on Montreal road but will not when Bank Street gets redone.. odd.
Bank Street sidewalks are so narrow and cluttered. All of our main commercial roads have narrow sidewalks but Bank St is somehow the worst offender.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 1:53 AM

Quote:
The last Bank Street project was, what, almost a decade ago now?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Bank Street sidewalks are so narrow and cluttered. All of our main commercial roads have narrow sidewalks but Bank St is somehow the worst offender.
The peak of the tim-bits regime.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. Did they bury them for the entire length? I know the project is not 100% complete, but I drove down there on Saturday, and it seemed there were some poles down towards St. Laurent. Maybe, I was dreaming. I was more focused on the new bike lanes and what was not complete.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 11:34 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Hmmm. Did they bury them for the entire length? I know the project is not 100% complete, but I drove down there on Saturday, and it seemed there were some poles down towards St. Laurent. Maybe, I was dreaming. I was more focused on the new bike lanes and what was not complete.
"Montreal Road businesses say they're hoping for more customers now that a two-kilometre stretch under construction since 2019 is once again open to two-way traffic and transit.

The $64-million project spans from North River Road to St. Laurent Boulevard and involves a complete revitalization of the street, with 900 metres of buried hydro lines plus new sewers, water mains and storm drains."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation