HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 4:40 AM
TL;DR

Yeah there’s another large retail development planned at the NE corner of 18th/Canal, but I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m also concerned about the traffic with all these new developments being so car-focused.

Just behind there on Stewart is a long strip next to the railyard where Streets and San is supposed to move their yard from 18th/Clark. Once that move happens I could see Related buying the old site potentially. 18th/Clark is a great spot for housing with the new Red Line stop just steps away and Mariano’s across the street.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 11:27 PM

Peoria Green

CA6: demo well underway, construction looks certain with those barriers

932 w Randolph; demo underway. Are they keeping the underlying structure?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 5:18 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
932 w Randolph; demo underway. Are they keeping the underlying structure?
The building permit refers to this as a renovation, so that means they are keeping some of it. It's a shame, I really liked the arched brick. Almost Sullivan-esque.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 11:03 PM
1st Ward

West Loop really looking completely unrecognizable from my UIC days. Was 2007 that long ago?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
West Loop really looking completely unrecognizable from my UIC days. Was 2007 that long ago?
Not quite as long ago as my UICC days.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post

Pastorelli's pizza sauce is the best.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The building permit refers to this as a renovation, so that means they are keeping some of it. It's a shame, I really liked the arched brick. Almost Sullivan-esque.
seems like a pretty big waste considering the building is less than 20 years old

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 2:42 PM
The City

Very sad, some of the industrial buildings we are losing down on the south side:

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/01/dem...nley-park.html

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Very sad, some of the industrial buildings we are losing down on the south side:

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/01/dem...nley-park.html
The real biggest loss was the old Wrigley factory up the block on Ashland (victim of a fire a few years back). The buildings on Ashland, while sturdy, large, industrial buildings, have little architectural merit in comparison to the buildings behind them and the nearby CMD.

Examples nearby:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8263...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8275...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 4:29 PM

That was a shame when it burned down but the photos of the ice on it after the firefighters doused it was really cool.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
god.... I'm from originally California and we would kill for a building stock like this. The whole area, particularly S Iron in the 2nd link, is begging for re-use into beautiful lofts and fresh landscaping. Who knows, maybe Bubbly Creek will one day have a nice usable waterfront.

Question: would they need to do soil remediation in the area if ever converted into a residential neighborhood?
its kind of slowly happening. Marz Brewing opening up down there has already made a massive difference just in terms of invigorating a bit of foot traffic into the area, and thats led to other lofts getting rehabbed just in the past couple of years. but yeah that whole pocket is insanely cool and such a great collection of buildings. unfortunately its not well served by public transit so its a lot of ride shares coming in from other neighborhoods and ppl driving. theres also still a lot of active industry down there that wont be going away any time soon, but Bridgeport as a whole is just a completely different neighborhood compared to a decade ago

speaking of PMD, what is the plan for the buildings under reno right now across from McKinley Park on Pershing?

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jan 4, 2021 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 11:22 PM

Yeah the old CMD could’ve been the new Fulton market if they had an orange line spur to Pershing/Ashland. Or something. The building stock is incredible. Clean up bubbly creek w/a river walk. Could’ve really been an incredible neighborhood

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 3:32 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Just a question for those who are better at navigating the various Chicago development proposal sites... Does anyone know what, if any, plans there are for the triangle bounded by Pulaski, Belmont and Milwaukee? At least one building has been demolished fairly recently, and now it appears that a few more just north of the gas station at the corner of Pulaski and Belmont are going to be taken down. Only thing I see is a plan from 2017 for some sort of mixed-use development, but nothing concrete.

Does anyone have information? This is only about 2-3 blocks from where I live, so of course I'm curious.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 4:04 PM
TL;DR

^ I don't think there's been anything announced. I would probably expect a retail-focused development like what has been proposed at Six Corners. Maybe a little more "urban format" with rooftop or stacked parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Yeah the old CMD could’ve been the new Fulton market if they had an orange line spur to Pershing/Ashland. Or something. The building stock is incredible. Clean up bubbly creek w/a river walk. Could’ve really been an incredible neighborhood
Funny you mention this. The CMD (the first phase along Bubbly Creek, not the 2nd phase on McKinley Park) is attracting exactly the kind of businesses that moved to West Loop 20 years ago. The fact that rail doesn't go there is not a hindrance. The bigger issue is the lack of a proper street grid, and the huge land users that ring the area (Peoples Gas, ComEd, Pepsi, future Amazon, etc).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 10:30 PM

My absolute dream scenario would be, take the metro electric line, have it cross the loop in a subway under Jackson, then travel north on halsted in a subway, jog to goose island, and then meet up with the red/p/b south of Armitage.

Links:
South shore
Hyde park
That new Michael Reese development
McCormick place
Soldier field
One central development
Field museum
Loop businesses
Union station
West loop/Fulton market
The tribune freedom site
Goose island (best future development site IMO)
Put a stop at willow/kings bury and you get Lincoln yards too!!

Where’s my TIF for THIS!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 7:29 AM

I highly endorse this. It would finally alleviate the incredible overload of the #6 bus, provide a far cheaper rail route to the Loop from the South, as well as a more frequent service. That METRA line wasn't intended to serve as an inner-city transit. Even the conductors on the line have expressed their disappointment and frustration of trying to be both a METRA line and a CTA-like service, yet not really capable of doing so.

I often (pre-pandemic) flew to Indonesia and Hong Kong. The worst part of the entire 36-hour long trip to Bandung, Indonesia was the leg from Hyde Park to O'hare. Especially after experiencing the incredible 21st-century mass transit options in Asia.

Someday it will be addressed. #fingers_crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
My absolute dream scenario would be, take the metro electric line, have it cross the loop in a subway under Jackson, then travel north on halsted in a subway, jog to goose island, and then meet up with the red/p/b south of Armitage.

Links:
South shore
Hyde park
That new Michael Reese development
McCormick place
Soldier field
One central development
Field museum
Loop businesses
Union station
West loop/Fulton market
The tribune freedom site
Goose island (best future development site IMO)
Put a stop at willow/kings bury and you get Lincoln yards too!!

Where’s my TIF for THIS!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 7:36 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedung Tinngi View Post
I highly endorse this. It would finally alleviate the incredible overload of the #6 bus, provide a far cheaper rail route to the Loop from the South, as well as a more frequent service. That METRA line wasn't intended to serve as an inner-city transit. Even the conductors on the line have expressed their disappointment and frustration of trying to be both a METRA line and a CTA-like service, yet not really capable of doing so.

I often (pre-pandemic) flew to Indonesia and Hong Kong. The worst part of the entire 36-hour long trip to Bandung, Indonesia was the leg from Hyde Park to O'hare. Especially after experiencing the incredible 21st-century mass transit options in Asia.

Someday it will be addressed. #fingers_crossed
Yeah the 6 shouldn't exist as it basically parallels the ME.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 4:45 PM
Urbane observer

^If your entire frame of reference is Hyde Park, maybe.

The #6 provides at-the-door service for all those apartments and dense neighborhoods along the Jeffery Corridor, and runs every 7-12 minutes all day—not once an hour like the South Chicago Branch. It carries more daily riders than the entire Green Line South (Roosevelt to 58th) corridor.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 5:11 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^If your entire frame of reference is Hyde Park, maybe.

The #6 provides at-the-door service for all those apartments and dense neighborhoods along the Jeffery Corridor, and runs every 7-12 minutes all day—not once an hour like the South Chicago Branch. It carries more daily riders than the entire Green Line South (Roosevelt to 58th) corridor.
I thought it basically paralleled the 15 south of Hyde Park, but apparently it does serve South Shore Drive (along with the 26). But if the South Chicago Branch had decent service (not once an hour) and fare integration, then I'd imagine it'd make more sense to focus more service on the 26 instead of the 6?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I thought it basically paralleled the 15 south of Hyde Park, but apparently it does serve South Shore Drive (along with the 26). But if the South Chicago Branch had decent service (not once an hour) and fare integration, then I'd imagine it'd make more sense to focus more service on the 26 instead of the 6?
There are many senior residents along South Shore Drive that benefit from taking the 6 to Hyde Park & downtown. Plus the South Lakefront is dense enough to justify parallel bus+rail service

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development