HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:50 PM
The City

^ Whats really sad is that if this were LA, the Bay Area, Massachusetts, NY, or countless other regions it would be a no brainer to develop these sites. But in Chicago we have this screwed up tradition of completely disregarding one side of the city. We are so lopsided that its obscene, just outright ridiculous. Look at that land--if it were on the north side people would be clamoring to buy property there. Where else will you be able to get such prime lakefront real estate?

I wish these developers well, but something has to change in the mentality of this region, perhaps they will pull it off? I'm not betting on it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Assuming an average unit mix that would be 52,000 additional people. In an area with virtually no supporting businesses
Even weighting it to 1br units it would still be at least 30,000.
The urban politician is right, this has pipe dream written all over it.
The kind've pipe dream akin to a reality TV personality becoming leader of the free world?

Maybe it happens maybe it doesnt but after 25 years of sitting vacant whats the downside for the city?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:55 PM
The City

^ There is no downside, you're right. It's already vacant.

If you want a new meaning for the term "Second City" it should be the south side. Chicago has a veritable second city just waiting to be built. We could easily add 1 million people to the tax rolls if more people were willing to move there.

The one hope I do have is this Barcelona company. They and perhaps their financing partners may not come to the table with the same biases that an American company would. Maybe they will try something new, take some risks? Build some affordable housing en masse, could perhaps attract buyers?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 7:57 PM

Well, ahem, as Daniel Burnham once said "...", ugh, er, I forget what he said actually. Nevermind, probably not applicable in this city in this day and age anyway.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 8:59 PM

hey, its their money, if they and their investors are willing to take a leap of faith and the taxpayers are not on the hook in any way, i say go for it.

would still love to see the numbers theyre working with.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 9:09 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Whats really sad is that if this were LA, the Bay Area, Massachusetts, NY, or countless other regions it would be a no brainer to develop these sites. But in Chicago we have this screwed up tradition of completely disregarding one side of the city. We are so lopsided that its obscene, just outright ridiculous. Look at that land--if it were on the north side people would be clamoring to buy property there. Where else will you be able to get such prime lakefront real estate?

I wish these developers well, but something has to change in the mentality of this region, perhaps they will pull it off? I'm not betting on it.
People want amenities, plain and simple. Especially if its to buy a home where an entire lifetime's worth of savings goes on the down payment. Living in the city means being able to walk to the grocery store, having restaurants and a vibrant night life a stone throw's away, etc. The lake is definitely a draw, but if you have to drive out of the neighborhood for all of life's necessities and luxuries, no one is going to be breaking down doors to sign on the dotted line.

I think the developers can get residents down here, but its going to be slow. They will attract people who want to be near the lake for cheap in the first phase, and as a resident population is established, retail will follow, which may then attract more residents. It's going to take years, but I could see it getting done, especially if lakefront amenities like a marina, parks and beaches are established. The nearby Metra Electric stop definitely helps.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 9:26 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
well its going to take billions and billions of dollars to actually execute this vision as currently laid out, not sure how else they conceivably plan on making their money back
The Barcelona company is based on a new, partially manufactured housing construction methodology. It cuts costs considerably, and dramatically reduces timelines.

Quote:
i dont understand this at all.

who are these theoretical 20,000 additional people clamoring to live off 85th street at presumably luxury prices? is everyone just getting drunk off the Obama library?

didnt they originally propose 12k housing units? hell, since we're going through the trouble might as well just double it!
There's no hard number on the sales price of the land, but the high estimate was $80 million. With 20,000 units, that's only $4,000 per unit. In a lot of smaller developments around the city the land-cost per unit is closer to $40,000, so if it really is $80 million and $4,000 per unit, that's a big cost savings right there. For a development in the U.K., Barcelona Housing Systems is part of a venture reportedly budgeted at £1.1 billion for 8,000 homes. If that's accurate reporting, that's $187,500 per home at today's exchange rate. Even at exchange rates closer to pre-Brexit numbers that's about $200,000 per home, which a developer could add a profit to and it could still be considered affordable. I would think that construction costs in the U.K. and in the U.S. can't be that far apart, so hopefully that's a reasonable comparison. Adding to the affordability of the technique is that the homes are designed to be highly energy efficient, making them less expensive to live in.

In the press release it also mentions different a £2.5 billion, 25,000 unit plan in the U.K., which yields an average per-unit cost of under $150,000. They seem to know what they're doing. Guarded optimism is what I have.

Quote:
^ There is no downside, you're right. It's already vacant.

If you want a new meaning for the term "Second City" it should be the south side. Chicago has a veritable second city just waiting to be built. We could easily add 1 million people to the tax rolls if more people were willing to move there.

The one hope I do have is this Barcelona company. They and perhaps their financing partners may not come to the table with the same biases that an American company would. Maybe they will try something new, take some risks? Build some affordable housing en masse, could perhaps attract buyers?
I like everything I read about the Barcelona company. Previous reports also indicated that they are planning to build some of their manufacturing capacity for the homes here in Chicago, presumably on or near the US Steel site. If they do that and it creates enough jobs, this could fall into the "if you build it, they will come" category. Especially if they start doing more of these types of developments and can keep the Chicago part of the manufacturing going long-term.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 9:39 PM

i do like the idea that the area would potentially be integrated with the factory that builds it in the first place, and could serve as almost a model village for what they can do. assuming this actually gets off the ground though, i think it remains to be seen how high the quality of the design will be. the renderings look nice, but at the same time id be more afraid this is more akin to what we'd wind up with

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:55 PM

US Steel should have donated the land to the city to continue adding on to Chicago's lake front park system. Maybe the National Park system can take over once this sits for another 10 years.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:27 AM

Kind of funny related to this site, but I have a friend on facebook who posted an article calling this development "massive gentrification." I have to wonder, what are they gentrifying? It's literally a 400+ acre piece of land with nothing currently occupying it at all. Apparently everything counts as "gentrification."

The area north of there in South Shore along the lake is not bad though. If you wanted a cheap place near the lake in a high rise and didn't care about the surrounding area having a bunch of restaurants and whatever...and no city trains near (though Metra is near), then it's actually not terrible.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Kind of funny related to this site, but I have a friend on facebook who posted an article calling this development "massive gentrification." I have to wonder, what are they gentrifying? It's literally a 400+ acre piece of land with nothing currently occupying it at all. Apparently everything counts as "gentrification."

The area north of there in South Shore along the lake is not bad though. If you wanted a cheap place near the lake in a high rise and didn't care about the surrounding area having a bunch of restaurants and whatever...and no city trains near (though Metra is near), then it's actually not terrible.
south shore is great, i like it a lot. wouldnt mind living there at all. feels like a south side version of Edgewater essentially

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:17 AM
The City

Hyde Park is the real draw for that area. And that neighborhood is only getting better with the new high rises, hotels, and added retail

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:51 AM

Quote:
^ Whats really sad is that if this were LA, the Bay Area, Massachusetts, NY, or countless other regions it would be a no brainer to develop these sites. But in Chicago we have this screwed up tradition of completely disregarding one side of the city. We are so lopsided that its obscene, just outright ridiculous. ....
Endless cheap and accessible land, no restrictions on unfettered sprawl and generally slow growth helped enable this degree of disinvestment. Unfortunate, but not unheard of in similar situations.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:51 AM

Apple on the river

July 14

July 31

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Endless cheap and accessible land, no restrictions on unfettered sprawl and generally slow growth helped enable this degree of disinvestment. Unfortunate, but not unheard of in similar situations.
mix in a century of institutional (as well as personal) racism as well

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:54 AM
Development Shill

How are they going to keep birds from shitting all over the top of that Applestore. I've already seen seagulls and pigeons chilling up there in the evenings the last couple weeks. Seems like it'll be a nightmare to keep clean. In fact even in one of those pictures it looks like you can see bird crap all over the roof!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:55 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
US Steel should have donated the land to the city to continue adding on to Chicago's lake front park system.
Thanks to Friends of the Parks, a 400-foot strip along the lake edge are already under the control of the Park District.

Unfortunately, because the land is made from slag, it can't easily be dredged for lagoons or plantings needing deep roots. And because it's a 10-foot drop into 40-foot-deep water, it won't easily be turned into bathing beaches, either. Maybe that's where Tiger Woods should put his new golf course.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:19 AM

^^^ Thanks for FOTP? Or do you mean "thanks to the fact that there is no way in hell the city would approve any new use for this land without reasonable lakefront park/access concessions"?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 6:51 AM

Quote:
i do like the idea that the area would potentially be integrated with the factory that builds it in the first place, and could serve as almost a model village for what they can do. assuming this actually gets off the ground though, i think it remains to be seen how high the quality of the design will be. the renderings look nice, but at the same time id be more afraid this is more akin to what we'd wind up with

A time-lapse video of the construction of that building can be found here. It wouldn't embed in the post.

I'm curious as to the foundation system used on these buildings. It consists of a series of 6 - 7 foot micropiles(?) that are driven into the ground. A steel grid frame is fastened onto the micropiles and that serves as the foundation.

Has this been done in Chicago before?

img src - barcelonahousingsystems.com

One of the micropiles - looks like an overgrown deck screw...

The back side of the building, showing the frame that the building rests upon...

img src - facebook.com

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:24 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ Thanks for FOTP? Or do you mean "thanks to the fact that there is no way in hell the city would approve any new use for this land without reasonable lakefront park/access concessions"?
Thanks to FotP, it's 400 feet rather than 250 (IIRC), and owned by the Park District for a decade now rather than a vague promise to maybe do something in the future—like we got in the North Branch plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development