HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
^This reminds me a lot of the skyscrapers that loom over the lakes in Asia. Ey, if this does end up happening over the next few decades then we might as well call Lake Calumet, Chi-na (pun on Chi-town and China)
Yeah. Actually reminds me of the capital area of Malaysia (Putrajaya). Not high rises, but there's a big lake with the national mosque and some other stuff on it. Really scenic and cool actually. Lot of large government buildings in the general area.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 1:03 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Yeah, that's how I remembered it. A compacted Sears Tower.

I wish I knew what the hell was going on with all that land between the river and the Kennedy. The further-west west loop is hopping, the further-east loop loop is hopping, but nobody was able to figure out a deal for all that land in the middle?

Maybe it being off the market means someone with real plans bought it. With that Hotel/Office just announced on the other side of Presidential Towers, perhaps other developers are getting brave enough to step into that area. I swear with those huge, undeveloped blocks you could have a mini development boom right there.
The highest and best use for that land is office, since you are so close to Union and Ogilvie. However, the most desirable sites for office are the ones between Canal (Metra) and Wabash (Brown Line), and there are several large prominent new towers planned for that zone - two more on Franklin even after the two on Lake are finished. Altogether that is several million SF.

The flight of tech and creative companies to nontraditional spots in River North, Fulton Market and Goose Island has taken some of the wind out of Loop/West Loop office demand, while the Class C buildings that those startups would have occupied in the Loop are now turning to hotel and residential.

That said, there isn't a major surface lot in West Loop Gate that we haven't seen a proposal for. Developers are trying to make stuff happen there. It's just not the most desirable spot yet for any category of land use you could name. Office wants to be a little further east, and residential wants to be a little further west. Hotels want to be near tourist and entertainment destinations.

I think that will change soon. I'd be surprised if we don't see another 2 or 3 midrise office buildings go up in that area in the next few years. More "econoboxes", as some call them, which should support some natural filtering in the Loop submarket to replace all the Class C space now being converted into hotels and offices.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 1:11 AM

Okay. I solved it.

Obama library on top of the Kennedy. Convenient to trains and cars, closes the highway gap, that's parkland to sell commercial properties against, and Friends of the Lake can go back on their sedatives.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 1:22 AM

Didn't UIC propose the library over the circle interchange? Don't know how real that was, but close to where to you're
talking about, I think.

Last edited by J_M_Tungsten; Mar 24, 2015 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 3:55 AM

Quote:
I wish I knew what the hell was going on with all that land between the river and the Kennedy. The further-west west loop is hopping, the further-east loop loop is hopping, but nobody was able to figure out a deal for all that land in the middle?
It's quite simply really, the near West Loop area had a massive glut of surface parking and no real draws. Why develop those lots when you can build right on the River or Wacker for virtually the same land costs. Now that we are seeing the last few prime lots in the River corridor and around the Metra Stations get vacuumed up, I expect that the Near West Loop will explode over the next decade or so.

I also don't think it's entirely accurate to say the area has had a dearth of development. It hasn't exactly been skipped over in the last two cycles. The entire section of the city between the Freeway and the River has simply exploded with developments from Fiefield's stuff in Fulton River district to R+D 459 (or whatever it is) to the most recent burst with Jeff Jack and Catalyst. Additionally there have been four highrises added along Halsted just on the other side of the Freeway in the past 15 years.

There are another two highrises about to be added between the Freeway and the river with the Jefferson dual hotel and the ABN AMRO sister tower hotel-office combo. In fact, I was just by the Jefferson hotel site today and it is all torn to shreds with big holes and piles of dirt (fresh ones too, no fresh snow on them). They are going full bore on the site prep right now.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 4:01 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It's quite simply really, the near West Loop area had a massive glut of surface parking and no real draws. Why develop those lots when you can build right on the River or Wacker for virtually the same land costs. Now that we are seeing the last few prime lots in the River corridor and around the Metra Stations get vacuumed up, I expect that the Near West Loop will explode over the next decade or so.

I also don't think it's entirely accurate to say the area has had a dearth of development. It hasn't exactly been skipped over in the last two cycles. The entire section of the city between the Freeway and the River has simply exploded with developments from Fiefield's stuff in Fulton River district to R+D 459 (or whatever it is) to the most recent burst with Jeff Jack and Catalyst. Additionally there have been four highrises added along Halsted just on the other side of the Freeway in the past 15 years.

There are another two highrises about to be added between the Freeway and the river with the Jefferson dual hotel and the ABN AMRO sister tower hotel-office combo. In fact, I was just by the Jefferson hotel site today and it is all torn to shreds with big holes and piles of dirt (fresh ones too, no fresh snow on them). They are going full bore on the site prep right now.
There are 3 boutique offices planned around there prudential towers too.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 7:22 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The highest and best use for that land is office, since you are so close to Union and Ogilvie. However, the most desirable sites for office are the ones between Canal (Metra) and Wabash (Brown Line), and there are several large prominent new towers planned for that zone - two more on Franklin even after the two on Lake are finished. Altogether that is several million SF.
Quote:
Had the Clinton Street subway been built, or the Central Area subway (1968 version) been built, that part of the West Loop would have exploded a lot sooner. The lack of great CTA transit from the North Side has, by my estimation, been a key constraint - sure there was transit connectivity, but it paled compared to what is available in River North as far as convenience goes, and Metra doesn't make up for a relative lack of CTA service. The Mag Mile corridor is inconvenient to the West Loop train stations, but convenient (or convenient enough) to most of the rest of the city so it has thrived (plus being lakefront doesn't hurt).

Another factor was that the West Loop was pretty much all skid row until about 25 years ago, warehouses, homeless people, SROs, etc. River North was, too, but it had better transit to existing rich parts of the city so the pressure to gentrify was stronger (and being close to Michigan Ave didn't hurt). The West Loop seems to be 10-15 years behind the River North cycle, though, so I think the next 10-15 years will fill in all but a few stubborn lots in the West Loop and, if we're lucky, in the western part of River North, too.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 1:42 AM
BANNED

Hey guys, what is this???

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 1:55 AM
MPLSXCHI

Two 15 story buildings proposed on Milwaukee which I'm sure you'll love.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 2:01 AM
BANNED

I can see that.

Is this an active proposal? Also, where exactly? And yes, whatever I'm looking at looks really great. I was searching for a picture of the old Pizza Hut on Division and stumbled across this rendering, so I know nothing about it.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 2:26 AM
Show me the blueprints

Logan Square

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 2:42 AM
The City

It's been a source of controversy between the people who want to keep the city down on the dumps and slum-like and those who want to see more investment.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I can see that.

Is this an active proposal? Also, where exactly? And yes, whatever I'm looking at looks really great. I was searching for a picture of the old Pizza Hut on Division and stumbled across this rendering, so I know nothing about it.
The NIMBY's in the area are fighting this. You may want to go to the alderman of the wards website, sign up and attend community meetings in the area to help fight the stupidity.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 3:02 AM

Since no one has told him the exact location yet, it's planned for the SE corner enormous lot at California and Milwaukee. The really weird shaped double triangle looking parcel.

Also, does anyone know why they are tearing down all kinds of buildings along Ogden right by Sinai Hospital on Douglas Park? Are they planning an expansion? Just today they put up fencing to demolish an older nondescript 4 story 1960's annex to the hospital. A few months ago they razed a bunch of junky industrial buildings directly to the North across Ogden...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 3:24 AM

The neighborhood groups sent out flyers urging neighbors to go to the public meeting and voice their opposition because it would destroy everything good in life. It sounded like the developer barely got out of there alive.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 3:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Since no one has told him the exact location yet, it's planned for the SE corner enormous lot at California and Milwaukee. The really weird shaped double triangle looking parcel.
Across the street from the dollar store? There's a lot of open space along Milwaukee, east of California. Why is this getting so much opposition??? It's a really slick looking proposal.

Edit: just looked it up on the street view. Yeah, that's where I was thinking. That's a massive open lot. And this is being met with heavy opposition????!!!! What the hell is wrong with people? How old is this proposal?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 4:02 AM
MPLSXCHI

Whatever happened to the rumor that 301-401 wacker drive office proposal was back on? Did that die off?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 4:03 AM

The specter of highrise buildings in a neighborhood of small apartment buildings and single family homes, seen as a change of neighborhood character. While it would dramatically transform a commercial corridor (for the better) I'd argue it would have little negative impact on the residential areas.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 4:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
The specter of highrise buildings in a neighborhood of small apartment buildings and single family homes, seen as a change of neighborhood character. While it would dramatically transform a commercial corridor (for the better) I'd argue it would have little negative impact on the residential areas.
Neighborhood character my ass. Nearly every neighborhood along this stretch of Milwaukee has been over-run by hipsters. Fuck what they think about 'neighborhood character'.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 5:50 AM
pragmatist

Quote:
I could use a good primer on the affordable housing fund. From what I can tell, downtown area residential needs to either provide affordable housing or contribute money to a fund that will help provide it.
Right so far. The requirement applies citywide, whenever the city takes an action that benefits a residential developer. Plus, downtown developers can buy extra affordable housing "credits" in return for density bonuses.

Inclusionary housing programs usually permit a "fee in lieu" of providing the actual units on site:
http://westnorth.com/2014/07/22/why-...out-provision/
http://www.bpichicago.org/documents/...itiesandIZ.pdf
In Chicago, the fees go to DPD; most is used for its citywide affordable housing construction program, which mostly goes to help CDCs build and rehab low-income housing in the neighborhoods. Part goes to CLIHTF to pay for the city's "super-Section-8" rent voucher program for extremely low-income households.

Quote:
I wish I knew what the hell was going on with all that land between the river and the Kennedy.
It's been in speculative limbo for decades. Everyone knows its future is 50+ story towers, so nobody wants to build a 20-story tower today. The easier thing to do is to let it sit as parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
...hipsters. Fuck what they think about 'neighborhood character'.
What makes you think it's the "hipsters" who are crying about "character"? There's a contingent of typical NIMBYs there. I'm glad they got the boulevard historic district enacted, but this is an entirely different matter.

Last edited by paytonc; Mar 26, 2015 at 2:54 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development