HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 11:56 PM

Probably time to lock this thread, as it's just become nonsense of people on the left and right talking past each other.

I don't think it serves anyone to make hyperbolic claims that cities were destroyed or ruined by the riots and pandemic closures. Obviously cities were not destroyed.

I also don't think it's productive to minimize the tumult that cities experienced that summer. It was the most widespread protesting and yes, rioting, that this country has experienced since the 1960s. Having widespread looting and destruction of property in all of the country's major cities concurrently is, in fact, a big deal. And, as others have noted, the damage largely took place in center cities and wealthy retail areas rather than in areas that were suffering from disinvestment.

We don't know what the long term results will be from the events of that summer, but we do know that the decade following the racial unrest of the late 60s was not a good one for cities. In addition to the unrest, we also had the pandemic that shut down a large portion of our cities-- something we are still grappling with how to resolve. And to top it all off, we had a coup attempt thrown in the mix. So, yeah, I agree that 2020 and early 2021 was a pretty awful time in this country. It really felt like we were on the brink of societal collapse, multiple times.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 12:23 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ an excellent note to end on.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions