HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


View Poll Results: Which Chicago casino proposal is your favorite?
Ballys at Tribune 24 18.05%
Ballys at McCormick 7 5.26%
Hard Rock at One Central 7 5.26%
Rivers at The 78 75 56.39%
Rivers at McCormick 20 15.04%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #801  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 5:44 PM
Klippenstein's Avatar
Klippenstein Klippenstein is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 275


I don't understand this map. This is supposedly Amtrak? And why don't they know where OPC and MSI are located?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #802  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 6:00 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post

I don't understand this map. This is supposedly Amtrak? And why don't they know where OPC and MSI are located?
Yeah this is a sloppy graphic. Probably thrown together by an intern and not reviewed (Shedd "Quarium"?)

The red line is actually the "CHI Line", which should be yellow per the legend.
It is a sort of vague circulator proposal that Bob Dunn has included in all the One Central plans. They have not specified what kind of transit it would be, or who would pay to build/operate it. Given the routing I assume it would be some kind of bus route, requiring an extension of the McCormick busway to 31st, and a busway onramp at McFetridge (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The marshaling yards, like the Burnham Lakefront, is supposed to have a busway next to the IC tracks allowing south lakefront express buses to leave Pointe du Sable Lake Shore Drive at 31st and come downtown via a new busway with a couple of stations en route and then the McCormick Busway.
I've only heard vague things about this. In the Burnham Lakefront plans it seems like this wouldn't be a busway so much as just a slightly widened Lake Park Ave. If it's mixed traffic instead of a true busway, doesn't seem ideal...
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #803  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 6:09 PM
Klippenstein's Avatar
Klippenstein Klippenstein is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 275
If they're really serious about this development (which is often hard to believe based on their promo materials) they are going to need to have a road connection to the neighborhood not just DLSD and McFetridge Dr. That area around Soldier field is already the biggest bottleneck on South DLSD. It seems their best bet would probably be 16th St. It looks like there's some electrical lines there between Prairie and the tracks that they would need to relocate anyway, which might make room for an overpass. Of course they would get a lot of pushback and adding only one more access point is inviting a different traffic bottleneck, but I can't really see another option. Perhaps they could put a smaller entrance at or 14th St or 15th Pl.

This is probably not even worth thinking about...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #804  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 6:18 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,619
It's far from clear that One Central will ever get approved, but it certainly will never get the alderman's blessing if it has a vehicle connection to the Prairie District.

I think there are 2 pedestrian connections planned to the west, with the primary pedestrian gateway at Prairie and 15th Pl in Mark Twain Park. The existing pedestrian connection to the lakefront at 18th would also be preserved somehow inside the podium of One Central, and this would also include an entrance to the shopping mall.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #805  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 6:38 PM
thegoatman thegoatman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: chicago
Posts: 402
This ain't happening, they need to go ahead and approve the decision for Related/the 78 so we can get our observation tower already
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #806  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:02 PM
Randomguy34's Avatar
Randomguy34 Randomguy34 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago & Philly
Posts: 1,668
Lol Crain's is basically letting anyone submit an op-ed at this point.

A McCormick Place casino would be yet another mistake
Do Chicago and its people really want a black box blinking lurid, colored lighting to blemish its signature postcard-perfect lakefront and skyline?
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/opin...nother-mistake
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #807  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:33 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,619
Lightfoot spoke about Soldier Field today - she mentioned a few pain points, including difficulty of access.

Makes me wonder if she is preparing something like the "CHI Line" as part of a package to keep the Bears in the city. There's no way to expand parking or roadways around the stadium, so the only way to improve access is with transit. We have needed a downtown circulator for decades now, so this would be a good idea. And if we're gonna spend taxpayer money on sports teams, I prefer when that investment can also benefit Chicagoans outside of game days.

Lightfoot also mentioned a roof on the stadium. I have no idea how you could do that without making the stadium look even more comical than it already is. And it does nothing for the seating capacity which is among the smallest in the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The red line is actually the "CHI Line", which should be yellow per the legend. It is a sort of vague circulator proposal that Bob Dunn has included in all the One Central plans. They have not specified what kind of transit it would be, or who would pay to build/operate it. Given the routing I assume it would be some kind of bus route, requiring an extension of the McCormick busway to 31st, and a busway onramp at McFetridge
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #808  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:59 PM
Randomguy34's Avatar
Randomguy34 Randomguy34 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago & Philly
Posts: 1,668
Greg Hinz mentioned a few months ago that Landmark Development was exploring doming Soldier Field as a part of One Central. With Lightfoot speaking about improving access and the recent Hard Rock website, I'm worried the city will choose One Central's casino to keep the Bears in the city
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #809  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 9:39 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 6,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
We have needed a downtown circulator for decades now, so this would be a good idea. And if we're gonna spend taxpayer money on sports teams, I prefer when that investment can also benefit Chicagoans outside of game days.

Loop Connector has been a thing for awhile, and there was a resurgence in studying it a handful of years ago. It could work well for that depending on how it's executed.
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...B0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #810  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 9:42 PM
Klippenstein's Avatar
Klippenstein Klippenstein is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Greg Hinz mentioned a few months ago that Landmark Development was exploring doming Soldier Field as a part of One Central. With Lightfoot speaking about improving access and the recent Hard Rock website, I'm worried the city will choose One Central's casino to keep the Bears in the city
Nothing is definite yet. Even after the committee and mayor or whoever is in charge of the process make their decision it will still need to be approved by city council. If it relies on a huge payout to ONE Central that would certainly be a hard sell as many have voiced opposition to the legislation passed at the state level.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #811  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 3:19 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Loop Connector has been a thing for awhile, and there was a resurgence in studying it a handful of years ago. It could work well for that depending on how it's executed.
Yeah this would be essentially the same. Bus service on the McCormick Busway, with a few access ramps added at McFetridge, Lower Randolph, and maybe Balbo. Probably one new station "in the trench" at Monroe, with the rest of the stops being at street level near Navy Pier, Field Museum, Soldier Field, etc.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #812  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 3:52 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,161
That would really be a shame to place a huge garish casino at the forefront of one of the most beautiful urban landscapes in the world. The Chicago skyline as viewed from the lake would definitely suffer from having both a giant Hard Rock casino and putrid alien Soldier Field with a tacked on roof.

Theoretically it's exciting to imagine so much new transit connectivity in Chicaog where it feels like our legacy system is barely holding on by a thread, but in practice all the stuff it would take to make it become a reality would be a little disappointing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #813  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 4:22 PM
thegoatman thegoatman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: chicago
Posts: 402
78 casino or bust...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #814  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 4:36 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Lol Crain's is basically letting anyone submit an op-ed at this point.

A McCormick Place casino would be yet another mistake
Do Chicago and its people really want a black box blinking lurid, colored lighting to blemish its signature postcard-perfect lakefront and skyline?
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/opin...nother-mistake
Written by some guy who works for SOM (designer of the 78)... but of course that's not disclosed in the op-ed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #815  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 4:47 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is online now
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Riverview Estates Fairway (PA)
Posts: 40,243
This is out of scale with the city, doesn't reflect the historical aspects of the present site and what is currently present at the site should stay as to not be out of touch with the surroundings! .... nah, just kidding.

Hopefully Rivers at The 78 rises. Best bid out of them all. Has the potential to be an instant icon and that is good for the city and business (tax revenue!). Hopefully it can muster through the city's convoluted process.




On a side note, your going to want parking. Because this has to look to a market in the sense of the metro and not just the city limits.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #816  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 4:53 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 6,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Written by some guy who works for SOM (designer of the 78)... but of course that's not disclosed in the op-ed.
JGMA designed the casino for The 78... and the casino going in there or not isn't going to magically cancel The 78 so I'm not sure what your point is?
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...B0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #817  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 5:22 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
JGMA designed the casino for The 78... and the casino going in there or not isn't going to magically cancel The 78 so I'm not sure what your point is?
So you believe the firm masterplanning the 78 (which is still looking for its anchor tenant to commence vertical construction) is 100 percent impartial when it comes to site selection for the casino?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #818  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 7:28 PM
Randomguy34's Avatar
Randomguy34 Randomguy34 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago & Philly
Posts: 1,668
McPier, which ones Lakeside Center and the marshalling yards, doesn't want either site to be used for a casino. They're not as concerned about Hard Rock using McCormick Place's north building for a temporary casino, but said state law would still have to be changed to legally allow McPier to host a casino.

A casino at McCormick Place? Its oversight agency raises some serious red flags.
Article: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...-report-argues

Report: https://www.scribd.com/document/5591...roposals-Final
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #819  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 7:54 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
McPier, which ones Lakeside Center and the marshalling yards, doesn't want either site to be used for a casino. They're not as concerned about Hard Rock using McCormick Place's north building for a temporary casino, but said state law would still have to be changed to legally allow McPier to host a casino.

A casino at McCormick Place? Its oversight agency raises some serious red flags.
Article: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...-report-argues

Report: https://www.scribd.com/document/5591...roposals-Final
That's surprising, wouldn't McPier stand to gain the most out of antyone from having the casino adjacent to all the conventions and hotels nearby that they own?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #820  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 7:56 PM
lakeshoredrive lakeshoredrive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 203
When will the decision of the casino location be announced?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.