HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1941  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 11:28 AM
Briguy Briguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
This is why we can't have nice things. I said this would get another height cut and it did. I said there was no way this gets built with terracotta and that's gone. I still remember people here swearing up and down that Related wouldn't water down the materials further in addition to a height cut.

In the end the best that could be said for this is that it's taller than the letdown that is Salesforce, they buried the podium, and they managed to refrain from encasing this in blue glass. Otherwise, everything else that was interesting or notable about the design got cut. There's also the high likelihood only one of these gets built so we'll have yet another orphaned twin in this city.
Oh shoot the terra-cotta is nixed?

I’m still holding out hope that the phase two gets up zoned to the same height or slightly taller than the N tower. In both the taller original and the shorter new proposal, the north tower is roughly 850 ft which makes me think that the spire foundation can only support about that much height. Makes sense related would want to reuse that foundation to possibly save money, hence the awkward taller north tower in the smaller proposal. Otherwise there’s just no reason on earth the N tower should be taller.

So, I don’t think the S site is constrained by anything other than nimbys and Brendan Reilly, which MAYBE cool it after they see the minimal impact of phase I? Related knows how to play the long game perhaps?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1942  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 11:50 AM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Oh shoot the terra-cotta is nixed?

I’m still holding out hope that the phase two gets up zoned to the same height or slightly taller than the N tower. In both the taller original and the shorter new proposal, the north tower is roughly 850 ft which makes me think that the spire foundation can only support about that much height. Makes sense related would want to reuse that foundation to possibly save money, hence the awkward taller north tower in the smaller proposal. Otherwise there’s just no reason on earth the N tower should be taller.

So, I don’t think the S site is constrained by anything other than nimbys and Brendan Reilly, which MAYBE cool it after they see the minimal impact of phase I? Related knows how to play the long game perhaps?
The terra-cotta was reduced by not eliminated. Now it's only vertical pieces between the windows.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1943  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 7:45 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Yeah, no podium but acoustic wall is ok.... Acoustic wall sounds fancy but in reality I suspect it's just those concrete walls on the highways to reduce sound to adjacent neighborhoods. The above rendering of the entrance to Dusable supports this.
It will likely be a steel framed wall with some kind of mesh material. So it serves as more of a visual block than an acoustic one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
The terra-cotta was reduced by not eliminated. Now it's only vertical pieces between the windows.
According to the latest PD revision there is no terracotta. The vertical pieces between windows are a metal panel with a russet color. They may use a ceramic coating on the metal so it reflects light similar to terracotta...
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1944  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 8:08 PM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It will likely be a steel framed wall with some kind of mesh material. So it serves as more of a visual block than an acoustic one.


According to the latest PD revision there is no terracotta. The vertical pieces between windows are a metal panel with a russet color. They may use a ceramic coating on the metal so it reflects light similar to terracotta...
Do you have a link to the PD doc? SOM's website still says terra cotta though I'd trust the PD obviously.

Quote:
Constructed of glass and terra cotta with intricate metal detailing, the towers are clad in a contemporary rippling facade symbolic of the surrounding waters.
The revision from 2020 included terra cotta just less - so not sure if you are referring to a 2nd revision that I am not familiar with.

Their website linked below has a rendering of the podium-less courtyard area with said 'acoustic wall' and terra cotta quote from above.

https://www.som.com/projects/400-lake-shore-drive/

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1945  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 8:54 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Do you have a link to the PD doc?
It’s definitely on Legistar, and most likely councilmatic too.

The Plan Commission presentation also shows the terra cotta going bye-bye. Slides 29 and 30:
https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...esentation.pdf

Nothing to do with the alderman and nimbys. Just the developer being cheap again.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1946  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 9:53 PM
donnie's Avatar
donnie donnie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 553
Great link and on page 43 it says (All sides and areas of buildings that are visible to the public are treated with materials,
finishes and architectural details that are of high-quality and appropriate for use on the
primary street-facing façade.
The tower façade consists of insulated glazing units, painted aluminum mullions, and
decorative accent panels with metal or masonry components.) would have been nice but is anyone surprised now days?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1947  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 10:54 AM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 777
Thanks for link r18tdi.

I'm gonna choose to look on the bright side. At least we get materials that *look* like masonry/terra cotta! I won't be going up to the building to check so maybe not so big a deal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1948  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 12:26 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Thanks for link r18tdi.

I'm gonna choose to look on the bright side. At least we get materials that *look* like masonry/terra cotta! I won't be going up to the building to check so maybe not so big a deal.
Back when AMLII River North ( 453 N Clark ) was built the building was widely derided for using painted concrete instead of cladding. working next to it I can assure you that having the bottom 2 or 3 floors clad in real marble makes it so that nobody notices the rest. The challenge is to put up nice materials on the base and then have that difference worked into the design.
__________________
Harry C - Urbanize Chicago- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1949  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 2:41 PM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Back when AMLII River North ( 453 N Clark ) was built the building was widely derided for using painted concrete instead of cladding. working next to it I can assure you that having the bottom 2 or 3 floors clad in real marble makes it so that nobody notices the rest. The challenge is to put up nice materials on the base and then have that difference worked into the design.
Exactly what One Bennett Park did - It's really impressive with the real limestone at ground level. I actually like OBP quite a bit and it's grown on me. It would definitely be great if they used terracotta or something nice near ground level. I
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1950  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:18 AM
UPChicago's Avatar
UPChicago UPChicago is offline
Vote for me for Mayor!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 786
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1951  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:49 AM
JMKeynes's Avatar
JMKeynes JMKeynes is online now
In the long run...
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SW3
Posts: 3,502
That’s good news. The Related towers are beautiful.
__________________
"Men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1952  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:53 AM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
Transcript of video: https://www.newsbreak.com/news/25662...ago-spire-site

"Now, another groundbreaking is planned for the end of 2022"

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1953  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:44 PM
BuildThemTaller BuildThemTaller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Long Island City, NY
Posts: 776
I hope those little pine trees find a good home.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1954  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 1:50 PM
west-town-brad west-town-brad is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 726
I look forward to taking my kids to the formerly radioactive, new dusable park in 2025
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1955  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 1:51 PM
ChiPlanner ChiPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakeview East Chicago
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Transcript of video: https://www.newsbreak.com/news/25662...ago-spire-site

"Now, another groundbreaking is planned for the end of 2022"

can confirm- if all goes well this is accurate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1956  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:28 PM
k1052 k1052 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,111
Man exploding residential demand really blowing the dust off a lot of stuff. Will be nice to finally get this filled in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1957  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:47 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,955
At the Rivers 78 casino meeting last night, I was chatting with some of the Related folk I know and they were saying hopefully by the end of this year or early 2023.

So the same as what's been said over the past 12 hours.
__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1958  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:45 PM
CaptainJilliams CaptainJilliams is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 78
It's awesome that we've at least received an update, but I'm still skeptical even with this estimate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1959  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:56 PM
thegoatman thegoatman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: chicago
Posts: 402
Hope they revise the heights. Can't believe nimby's kept a potential supertall off the front of our lakefront.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1960  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:57 PM
dweeprise dweeprise is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Chicago
Posts: 74
Anyone know how the existing Spire foundation will be used (if at all) for 400LSD?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:05 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.