HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 8:06 PM

HPA huh? I would have guessed Brininstool + lynch based on the rendering.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I don't think the existing façade qualifies as 'handsome.' 'Utilitarian' is more apt.

The base of the tower is the only thing about the design I like. The tower is unfortunate.
You need to get close up, but the brick work is actually very fine and quite unusual. It does need some TLC.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

29 stories, 349 units (just under the PD threshold), office uses and 96 parking stalls in the old printing building. Despite that having a perfectly handsome 1937 Moderne façade, Hartshorne Plunkard has apparently chosen to wrap it in glass to tie into the tower design. I don't know where they're getting the depth to do that, as I feel sure the current building extends to the property line.

wow Looks Like the printers row/lasalle st corridor is gonna have its own boom soon!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 8:21 PM
The City

^ Not an exciting design, but the South Loop is basically a giant snooze fest....so lets get some density in there

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Developers nationally have pulled back over the past year. It's getting late in the cycle, and nobody wants to get caught with a balloon payment due in the midst of a recession. Remember that development proposals are a leading indicator -- cranes in the air are a trailing indicator.

Particularly ambitious proposals like the 78 are a trailing indicator, and even perhaps a bad omen. Nobody thinks they're even somewhat feasible until the money's already flowing -- and by the time they get going, oftentimes the economy's already turned.

We here in Chicago are good for a solid 2 more years on boom level skyscraper growth. hence you cant forget we are Chicago and always have atleast 10 cranes in the sky even during recessions. I have tons of contracts for new construction at my work. Our boom will continue far into 2020, bombardier and I have talked about this multiple times in the one Chicago square development forum look at posts 1013-the most recent post this will address this matter. Just give stuff time it'll come, hence the new proposal just dropped after this post I'm replying to was announced.

Last edited by Hourstrooper; Jan 15, 2019 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 8:59 PM
The City

^ Good because I get bored of looking at old skyscrapers. We need new stuff like constantly--new life, new cranes, new things to get excited about! And lots of jobs. God bless the death of parking lots

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 9:04 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
You need to get close up, but the brick work is actually very fine and quite unusual. It does need some TLC.
Oh I'm familiar with the location, used to walk past it a lot when I worked in the south Loop. I just don't believe it is special or noteworthy enough to preserve.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Are we going to discuss those balconies? This thing looks like a remote for a VCR.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 9:19 PM

I sure would like to see some proposals focused on starter condos, personally. I'm happy to see the Vista/One Bennett Park/No. 9 Waltons get built, but I wish there were projects like 235 W. Van Buren in the pipeline.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 9:23 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
I sure would like to see some proposals focused on starter condos, personally. I'm happy to see the Vista/One Bennett Park/No. 9 Waltons get built, but I wish there were projects like 235 W. Van Buren in the pipeline.
My very first investment was a condo at 235 W VB.

For years I thought "what a sucker I am, condos are a horrible investment" and went on to actual buildings.

But now I'm rethinking that. I've managed to raise rents consistently given the downtown boom, particularly with the flow of jobs towards the western portion of the Loop. It's very low maintenance and easy to fill. Plus you can always get a parking spot and lease that out as well.

So I agree. We do need some more starter condos, not only for new homeowners but for investors who want to cash in on the fun, but aren't exactly in a position to buy a 100 unit apartment building in the SW Loop for $63 million.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 10:16 PM
you know where I'll be

Is that South Loop project designed by Brininstool + Lynch? Looks like it.......would make sense if it is CMK....

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 10:22 PM
you know where I'll be

CA Ventures Proposal at Old Mandarin Site

So, an ad for CA Ventures in this week’s cre industry rag Real Estat Alert includes a rendering of a project at the old Mandarin Illinois Center site.....I’m thinking folks will be pretty underwhelmed....around 47 floors, modern, pretty dull, doesn’t appear to be well detailed.....appears residential, which I’d assume rental at this location...perhaps a hotel component too?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 10:30 PM

I've walked by the Clark and Barlow lot a few times in the last two weeks and the soil testing rig has been in their parking lot. Anyone hearing any further movement there?

With the Wolf Point work going on, and this project so close to it, is there pressure to get it rolling while the iron is hot?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 10:33 PM

Second crane going up at 845 W Madison. The West Loop is full with cranes once again!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 11:22 PM

^^^ Was just going to report that, also looks like major site prep is going on for the rest of the IMD Gateway site. Has anyone checked permit status on this one in a while? It's possible they are in for one or more of the tower permits given the amount of activity going on on site.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Not an exciting design, but the South Loop is basically a giant snooze fest....so lets get some density in there
Agreed

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:45 AM

I hope the developer puts a little more TLC into this than Hayden West Loop.

I try my best to stay positive on here but Hayden is of my least favorite buildings in the area.

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...-public-debut/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
I hope the developer puts a little more TLC into this than Hayden West Loop.

I try my best to stay positive on here but Hayden is of my least favorite buildings in the area.

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...-public-debut/
All they *really* need to do is keep the windows at street level (as seen in drawings) and its already an improvement

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:37 AM

That too, but my biggest gripe is the prefab faux brick panels. Compared to some of the projects that used real brick in the area, Nobu, Hoxton, and my favorite, 210 N Carpenter (to name a few) Hayden looks awful. The same goes for the Hyatt by McDonald's.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:43 AM

^^^^ditto^^^^

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations