HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 4:29 PM

Question for those who are downtown all the time. This morning CBS news had a live shot from along the river. Trump and Wrigley were both visible, so I think the shot was from Wacker or maybe the State or Wabash bridge looking NE. But in the background a new tower was visible, core and a few floors. Can't for the life of me figure out which one it was. Optima maybe? But that doesn't seem right.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I think the shot was from Wacker or maybe the State or Wabash bridge looking NE. But in the background a new tower was visible, core and a few floors. Can't for the life of me figure out which one it was. Optima maybe? But that doesn't seem right.
Dunno. Maybe the top of 545 N McClurg?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
March 25, 2016

I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone keeps bitching about this design. I think it's a fairly elegant and simple solution that creates a very dense urban development on a compact site. It's got a few concrete sheer walls, but they don't dominate from facade from any elevation and do a good job of framing the large glass planes. It would be nice if they left the concrete exposed on this one. It's like an extruded version of the nice building that just went up on Halsted in Lakeview.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone keeps bitching about this design. I think it's a fairly elegant and simple solution that creates a very dense urban development on a compact site. It's got a few concrete sheer walls, but they don't dominate from facade from any elevation and do a good job of framing the large glass planes. It would be nice if they left the concrete exposed on this one. It's like an extruded version of the nice building that just went up on Halsted in Lakeview.
I like how it's turning out as well. I think people dislike the cheap rendering that introduced the project, and as you said, the concrete looks better exposed than it might once painted beige.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
I like how it's turning out as well. I think people dislike the cheap rendering that introduced the project, and as you said, the concrete looks better exposed than it might once painted beige.
It would look alright painted if they went with white or charcoal or something more interesting. Beige could easily make this go from a good building to a bad building.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 5:58 PM

Quote:
It would look alright painted if they went with white or charcoal or something more interesting. Beige could easily make this go from a good building to a bad building.
My only gripe is the unnecessary setback, but other than that I thinks its turning out ok thus far, better than expected even.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:32 PM

It looks like site prep at the Riverline site is finally starting in earnest today, the equipment from last week has been joined by more, and they are putting up construction fencing on the west side of Wells. Given how large of a project it is, should it get a thread?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:58 PM

Quote:
I actually mentioned this quite a while ago. I think folks are just dreading the impending beige paint job.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 7:17 PM

the architecture blog says 100 w Huron is starting soon. I walked by today and it is in fact fenced

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
the architecture blog says 100 w Huron is starting soon. I walked by today and it is in fact fenced
Is Reilly gonna have a meeting for this one or is it as-of-right?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 7:46 PM

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
It looks like site prep at the Riverline site is finally starting in earnest today, the equipment from last week has been joined by more, and they are putting up construction fencing on the west side of Wells. Given how large of a project it is, should it get a thread?
I like the idea of Riverline getting it's own thread. Makes sense for a large scale development of 6 high rises with the tallest being 600 ft, several mid rises, over 3600 units and thousands of square feet of retail. Plus, it will bring more attention to the SkyscraperPage community that there is a lot of stuff going on in Chicago, despite the lack of individual threads for projects.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 8:35 PM
The City

^ Impressing the SSP community is least of my concern. If anything, Chicago's understated manner by which it carries out one of the largest center city booms in modern American history is kind of cool. People show up and say "holy shit I had no idea!"

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
I like the idea of Riverline getting it's own thread. Makes sense for a large scale development of 6 high rises with the tallest being 600 ft, several mid rises, over 3600 units and thousands of square feet of retail. Plus, it will bring more attention to the SkyscraperPage community that there is a lot of stuff going on in Chicago, despite the lack of individual threads for projects.
Oh good than its not just me that noticed that on here not all the current Chicago development projects get their own thread. I guess since it's Chicago so many projects never really get any news and fly under the radar, because I also noticed all the other cities for example Houston has a thread for every project no matter how small (height wise) that is. It makes it appear that they are more projects in the pipe line when in fact Chicago is really getting going

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 9:48 PM

agree but that one probably does deserve its own. Multiple buildings, complicated site etc etc

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
January 29, 2016

That said, I don't really recall people complaining about this one.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 11:13 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
Unless it's been re-fenced with something new, that lot has been fenced for years.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 12:20 AM
Chicago

226-228 East Ontario

March 28, 2016

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 12:20 AM
Chicago

833 North Clark

March 28, 2016

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations