HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 7:13 PM

I like the look of the new proposal for the Giants lot. Combines several of the good elements from the past proposals, IMO.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 7:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:

The Mission Bay new development previously known as 555 Mission Rock has been branded “Strata at Mission Bay.” 192 new apartments coming online in March of 2009 with an interest list now forming.
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 8:01 PM

That's a really ugly building. I normally don't complain about the look of new construction too much, but wow. I need to go take a look up close - I'm sure that it's not as bad as it looks in that pic.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 8:20 PM
BANNED

It doesn't strike me as any uglier than just about everything else at Mission Bay. I wouldn't even call most of it ugly. Just "uninteresting', "bland", "suburban".

The one building there so far that interests me is (surprise!) Legorreta's student union.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 12:09 AM
Have No Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Amen to that.

Maybe this will brighten everyone's spirits, if even a little bit. New renderings of the Mission Rock proposal, from SocketSite:

I like the proposal a alot.
But what about all the lost parking for the ballpark?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 2:32 AM

They can park over at 535 Mission... please don't tell me they have put asphalt over those buried piles. Mission bay has at least enough variety in it's Architects to offer some interest and when all is said and done I think the open spaces through out will be something enjoyed by all of us for years to come.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshLiving View Post
The proposal contains over 2650 parking spaces, of which almost 2000 will be available for Giants games. Seems a bit excessive to me, considering the amount of parking garages already in the area, but whatever.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 6:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Since it's the Giant's proposal, you can be sure that issue is covered.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 3:12 PM
Have No Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Since it's the Giant's proposal, you can be sure that issue is covered.
Yeah that makes sense. Plus who wants to pay $30 dolars to park there anyways.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 5:54 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin' in the city View Post
They can park over at 535 Mission... please don't tell me they have put asphalt over those buried piles.
Not to worry, it's covered in rock and surrounded by a chain-link fence. It looks like it will sit in that state until they're ready to dig out the piles and try again. However long that will take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
That's a really ugly building. I normally don't complain about the look of new construction too much, but wow. I need to go take a look up close - I'm sure that it's not as bad as it looks in that pic.
Funny thing is that I thought it actually looked better in that photo than it looks in real life, although I haven't got right up next to it. And that shouldn't be construed as a compliment to the image in that photo, by the way.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 8:24 PM
BANNED

Avalon @ Mission Bay Phase III

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

I think this Arquitectonica design also gives us a substantial foretaste of Trinity Plaza.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, February 6, 2009
Five Prime grabs more space at Mission Bay
San Francisco Business Times - by Ron Leuty

Pushing toward clinical trials with a handful of potential drugs, Five Prime Therapeutics Inc. is subleasing 5,000 square feet at 1700 Owens St. in Mission Bay to make batches of proteins.

The first-floor space — in addition to just under 30,000 square feet it subleases next door from the J. David Gladstone Institutes — caps a year of growth for the 100-employee San Francisco biotech. It secured an equity and collaboration deal with Pfizer Inc., grew employment at a 20 percent clip and built out its immunology group, its next major discovery area, said Five Prime President and CEO Gail Maderis.

“We’re bursting at the seams here in the Gladstone building,” Maderis said. “Having the Pfizer collaboration is expanding our headcount and our need for space.”

Five Prime is leasing the new space from Gladstone as well, which last year took about 10,000 square feet at 1700 Owens for its growing translation research programs.

Although Five Prime’s hiring will slow this year, Maderis said, the new process development suite in the Alexandria Real Estate Equities-developed building will give the company more firepower. Specifically, it will provide Five Prime with a 100-liter bioreactor to produce all the product it needs to reach clinical trials with drugs like its potential treatment for bone loss during cancer. It currently uses a 7-liter bioreactor in the Gladstone building.

Five Prime has one drug, designed to fight advanced solid tumors, in a Phase I trial and a total of nine in pre-clinical or selection stage. It focuses on oncology, metabolic diseases, regenerative medicine and immunology.

Privately held Five Prime, which Maderis said has upwards of two years cash at the ready, will continue to contract out manufacturing of clinical-scale drugs.

rleuty@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4939
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 8:10 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Oakland seemed to be floating above Mission Bay today.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 8:46 AM
Only Mostly Dead

What, did you just get a Flickr account today or something? Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but why have you been holding out on us?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 8:15 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
What, did you just get a Flickr account today or something? Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but why have you been holding out on us?
Well, it was a guilty combination of factors. Lack of initial technical skill, laziness, loss of BT's oft posted instructions and capable guidance and I'm sure that I could find more excuses if I think about it. Actually, it's ironic too that I was going to start posting construction pics when you and then Downtown Dave blew everyone away with continuous stunners. I have pics of One Rincon and other buildings from beginning to end, but almost always from a distance.

I finally opened a Flickr account after my New England trip this past fall, so I thought it might be a good time to put it to use here and share with all of you generous guys. I have a view that exceeds 200 degrees and can literally see half of the City with only one set of Redwood trees that I need to shoot around. Since I added a way to access my roof though, even that isn't a problem if I go up there to shoot, which I haven't done yet. Maybe I should wait for a new camera before doing that.

In the meantime, here's an older version for you!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 8:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
loss of BT's oft posted instructions and capable guidance
Where did I go to?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 8:44 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Where did I go to?
You were swallowed up in the threads since I couldn't locate your previous postings.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 6:06 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Lucky for us that you've got it up and running now. I hope you'll post retrospectives of construction progress on the various projects. I love seeing the perspective from a distance where you can get a better sense of the effect these new buildings have on the overall skyline. And if you want to put together a thread for the city photo sub-forum, that would be cool too (hint, hint). Your view is just incredible.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 6:41 AM
Have No Fear

Speaking of photographers, I have noticed tha DowntownDave has not posted anything in a while.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 5:55 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Speaking of photographers, I have noticed tha DowntownDave has not posted anything in a while.
I've been wondering the same thing. Dave, where are you? We miss your awesome shots!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development