HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Source?
https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...nap-story.html

I don't know why you think I sit around making stuff up.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 6:15 PM

High speed rail has been on a "Fast Track" here in Texas for so long that most folks just plain forgot all about it. Give it another 30 or 40 years, and maybe you might see something. Won't happen in my lifetime, but I am pretty old already

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattropolis View Post
Is the title of this thread, Texas On "Fast Track" To High Speed Rail meant to be ironic?
Well this thread is only 8 years old so that is considered "fast" for Texas!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 1:23 PM

Brightline usually throws out they're "exploring" new corridors for expanding such as Atlanta-Charlotte, Northeast Corridor, etc. Recently though, they've expressed interest in a Dallas-Austin-San Antonio-Houston route, which I don't believe they've expressed interest before. If Brightline is serious about expansion and Texas Central is struggling to finance capital, a possibility could be Brightline taking over like they did with DesertXpress.

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger...-into-orlando/

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Brightline usually throws out they're "exploring" new corridors for expanding such as Atlanta-Charlotte, Northeast Corridor, etc. Recently though, they've expressed interest in a Dallas-Austin-San Antonio-Houston route, which I don't believe they've expressed interest before. If Brightline is serious about expansion and Texas Central is struggling to finance capital, a possibility could be Brightline taking over like they did with DesertXpress.

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger...-into-orlando/
Potentially they could, but almost certainly they are throwing shade on Texas Central by implying that those routes won't already be taken. The only alternative is that they have had potential buyout discussions with Texas Central which would mean that the current project is probably already dead.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 3:07 AM

Can someone please edit the title thread and remove the “fast track” adjective? It hurts my eyes every time I read this.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 3:50 AM
Show me the blueprints

^ Agreed. Texas HSR or HSR in Texas is more than sufficient.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 4:04 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Potentially they could, but almost certainly they are throwing shade on Texas Central by implying that those routes won't already be taken. The only alternative is that they have had potential buyout discussions with Texas Central which would mean that the current project is probably already dead.
Why would they buy Texas Central rather than starting from scratch? In California, DesertXpress already had an EIS approved to build their line. Brightline saved years of time by purchasing the company.

In Texas, I think Brightline may start from scratch and choose a cheaper alignment. The court cases establishing Texas Central's right to use eminent domain also apply to Brightline or other railroads.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 8:39 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Why would they buy Texas Central rather than starting from scratch? In California, DesertXpress already had an EIS approved to build their line. Brightline saved years of time by purchasing the company.

In Texas, I think Brightline may start from scratch and choose a cheaper alignment. The court cases establishing Texas Central's right to use eminent domain also apply to Brightline or other railroads.
I thought the "utility" alignment chosen by the FRA with its EIS and with Texas Central consent was the cheapest alignment possible. It avoided every possible developed area within a town and city between Dallas and Houston. The only urban developed property along this right of way are within Dallas and Houston's city limits. It will be very difficult to find to find a cheaper alternative.

But, higher speed trains going faster than Amtrak but not faster than 125 mph will need more than one station stop between Dallas and Houston. After all, Brightline is not building its trains without intermediate stations in Florida. More intermediate stops should increase the pool of customers who just might take a train vs driving.

Texas Central has never stated it had funding to build and operate the railroad all lined up. It has been looking for more investors since they started. Will they ever raise enough cash, only the future knows? Meanwhile, they are getting all the preparation work done, design, alignment, environmental reviews, and permits. So when the money is raised to build this railroad, either themselves or another third party, the project will be truly shovel ready.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 1:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
High speed rail has been on a "Fast Track" here in Texas for so long that most folks just plain forgot all about it. Give it another 30 or 40 years, and maybe you might see something. Won't happen in my lifetime, but I am pretty old already
Agreed. I clicked on this thread to see if there was any news backing up the "fast track" name of the thread. Maybe it's time for a name change to something more realistic. Perhaps: "Visions of High Speed Rail in Texas."

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 8:05 PM
World Traveler

If anything else, call it "Slow Track" for accuracy.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 8:22 PM
Show me the blueprints

Or if you want to get a really long title how about "Texas On "Slow Track" To High Speed Rail: Because in Texas everything good and progressive is denounced and obstructed and everything bad and regressive is exalted and facilitated"

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 7:49 PM
FYHA

Amtrak Press Release

https://media.amtrak.com/2023/08/tex...s-and-houston/

Quote:
August 9, 2023

Texas Central and Amtrak Seek to Explore High-Speed Rail Service Opportunities between Dallas and Houston

WASHINGTON – Texas Central Partners (“Texas Central”) and Amtrak are seeking opportunities to advance planning and analysis work associated with the proposed Dallas-Houston 205-mph high-speed rail project to further determine its viability. Amtrak has cooperated with Texas Central on various initiatives since 2016 and the two entities are currently evaluating a potential partnership to further study and potentially advance the project.

“If we are going to add more high-speed rail to this country, the Dallas to Houston Corridor is a compelling proposition and offers great potential,” said Amtrak Senior Vice President of High-Speed Rail Development Programs Andy Byford. “We believe many of the country’s biggest and fastest-growing metropolitan areas, like Houston and Dallas, deserve more high quality high-speed, intercity rail service and we are proud to bring our experience to evaluate this potential project and explore opportunities with Texas Central so the state can meet its full transportation needs.”

The proposed approximately 240-mile route would offer a total travel time of less than 90 minutes between two of the top five major U.S. metropolitan areas and would complement future, new and improved corridor and long-distance service in the southern region.

Texas Central and Amtrak have submitted applications to several federal programs in connection with further study and design work for the potential Dallas to Houston segment, including the Consolidated Rail Infrastructure Safety and Improvements (CRISI) grant program, the Corridor Identification and Development program, and the Federal-State Partnership for Intercity Passenger Rail (FSP-National) grant program.

Amtrak has worked with Texas Central since 2016 when it entered into agreements to provide through-ticketing using the Amtrak reservation system and other support services for the planned high-speed rail line.

“This high-speed train, using advanced, proven Shinkansen technology, has the opportunity to revolutionize rail travel in the southern U.S., and we believe Amtrak could be the perfect partner to help us achieve that,” said Texas Central Chief Executive Officer Michael Bui. “We appreciate Amtrak’s continued collaboration and look forward to continuing to explore how we can partner in the development of this important project.”

High-speed rail service with mostly-dedicated and purpose-built rights of way can radically shrink trip times, achieve excellent reliability and provide significant capacity – all things that will drive ridership and help convince people to shift their trips to rail. When complete, this project is forecast to provide significant social, environmental, employment and economic benefits to the people of Texas. As an example, the project is estimated to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by over 100,000 tons per year, saving 65 million gallons of fuel while removing 12,500 cars per day from I-45.

“Dallas is the engine of the fourth largest and fastest growing region in the nation,” Dallas Mayor Eric L. Johnson said. “It is bold, innovative endeavors like this that will propel Dallas toward an even more prosperous future. A high-speed rail line would revolutionize transportation in our region, serve as a catalyst for economic growth, and enhance connectivity among Texas residents and businesses.”

“The collaboration between Texas Central and Amtrak is an important milestone for the City of Houston and this project,” said Mayor Sylvester Turner of Houston. “Our city is committed to advancing transportation initiatives that support economic growth and enhance quality of life for our residents. The potential partnership of these two companies will accelerate the planning and analysis necessary for the successful implementation of a modern, efficient, and environmentally sustainable rail system connecting Houston and Dallas. I commend all parties involved for their dedication to this transformative project.”

Construction and operations of the proposed high-speed rail line would bring significant economic benefits to the region, including thousands of well-paying construction jobs and nearly one thousand long-term, skilled operations and maintenance positions.

“The Ironworkers strongly support the Dallas-to-Houston high speed rail project,” said Jerry Wilson, Iron Workers District Council of Texas and the Mid South States. “Not only is it safe and green, but it will provide hundreds of highly skilled, good paying jobs for our members as we transport, erect and install the infrastructure.”

Byford joined Amtrak in April 2023 to begin developing a team focused on high-speed opportunities throughout the US. In his newly created role, he will develop and lead the execution of Amtrak’s long-term strategy for high-speed rail throughout the country.

In addition to current Amtrak service in Texas and planned station improvements, Amtrak submitted grant applications for daily Sunset Limited service and the extension of the Crescent from Mississippi through Louisiana and Texas. Amtrak supports Kansas DOT’s Heartland Flyer Extension Corridor Identification and Development (Corridor ID) application that will connect Wichita and communities across Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas to the Amtrak network. Amtrak also supports Texas DOT’s applications for the Texas Triangle (Dallas – Fort Worth – Houston – San Antonio) routes.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 7:58 PM

Yup, this was briefly mentioned at HSR Alliance's webinar for Dallas-Fort Worth HSR last week. The fact Amtrak, and specifically Andy Byford, is helping lead this project is unprecedented

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 8:07 PM
Show me the blueprints

Bravo

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 8:42 PM

I wonder why Amtrak wasn't involved with the CA high speed rail system?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
I'm wondering the same thing.

Texas has 19 Amtrak stations, while California has 72 Amtrak stations, the most of any state. I would think Amtrak would want to be involved with CAHSR.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
I'm sure CAHSR would have been happy with Amtrak's participation if it came with a financial contribution to the project. But Amtrak is too resource-starved to make that kind of commitment, and that was particularly true in the earliest days of CAHSR. Other than providing cash, what should Amtrak's involvement have been? It's not as if it's expert in developing high speed rail from scratch.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 12:21 AM
Show me the blueprints

^ ditto above

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 2:40 AM

So what will Amtrak be doing to help with this project? Between thus and the recent agreement between CAHSR and Brightline West, I'm really happy to see collaboration,but...I'm confused what that means specifically here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation