HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 8:17 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Rocky Anderson is boring. Any development news?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 8:27 PM
Space Magi

Small piece of news: West Quarter Block C is finally getting its design review next week.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 8:40 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Astra

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Small piece of news: West Quarter Block C is finally getting its design review next week.
That's just the hotel portion, right? 15 ish stories?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Astra

Thank you for staying on the subject of this thread!
Namely: "Salt Lake City: Official Development News Thread - Part 5"

Maybe someone could start a thread for our political friends: "SLC Mayors and Development Thread"
For what it's worth, Ted Wilson was a better mayor than any of the above, for development's sake in SLC.
I voted for him back in the day, for all the spring chickens bragging about remembering "back in the day".
Maybe we can get him out of retirement, although at 83, I'm sure he's content to stay away from the office.
We can discuss Palmer DePaulis and DeeDee Corradini if that gets old.

Last edited by SaltCityScrapers; Dec 2, 2022 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 10:11 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
That's just the hotel portion, right? 15 ish stories?
16 stories: ground floor has two commercial spaces (one for grocery store) and the other 15 stories are apartments.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 10:49 PM

Quote:
16 stories: ground floor has two commercial spaces (one for grocery store) and the other 15 stories are apartments.

Thanks..

The hotel is in Phase D? What else is phase D? Hotel, office tower and one more residential?

I guess I could scroll back through the pages. I just can't keep them straight. LOL

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 11:03 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I didn't know about a proposed west-side megamall. That sounds like it would've been a disaster. Where was that supposed to be located?

Crime was definitely lower then, but I think we're dealing with a much more difficult and more nuanced political and social environment than when Rocky was in office. I have my doubts about whether he (or any other mayor) could really make a significant impact on those issues. There's a case to be made that Erin doesn't do enough though, and that might be a big enough issue for Rocky to get back into office.

As it is I don't know who I would vote for either, I'm far from making up my mind. I would be more likely to vote for Rocky if he would tone down the combative rhetoric he was known for in his first time in office. Some people may love that, but I find it sometimes counterproductive, and the fact that he ran for president after leaving office always made it feel like he was worried about bigger things than Salt Lake City specifically. Ralph Becker was able to do a lot of good for the city without the attention-seeking.
Here's an article I found about it from 2000:

https://www.deseret.com/2000/6/9/195...mall?_amp=true

Rocky ruffled a lot of feathers fighting the mall. The article paints a way too rosy picture, I think, of what the impact the mall would have had on Salt Lake.

But I think it was a tough debate because the west side was really open to the idea of having a mall and enticing people to an area that has largely been ignored.

In hindsight, Rocky was 100% correct and a lot of people were angered over the mall not getting developed. But I just don't see how that would not have had a hugely negative impact on downtown.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 6:47 AM
Exit 298

Holy crap, I'd forgotten about that. The "Magna Times" article I looked up says it would have been at 5600 West and I-80 (roughly where Stadler Rail is now) and been 1.4 MILLION square feet (2x Provo Towne Centre)!

The sort of project I'm sure I would have advocated and defended had I been on this message board in 2000. And, in retrospect, am eternally grateful to those who fought the project and saved downtown. Valley Fair struggles. Imagine what would have happened to it if this had been built!

• The mall actually broke ground on September 11, 1998.
  • It was to have 12-18 anchor stores.
  • And 200-225 smaller stores.
  • All spread across 500 acres, in a classic suburban design.
  • Mayor Corradini supported it, believing 40%+ of revenue would come from "tourists"

This would have been a retail nuclear bomb. In opposition to Mayor Anderson, here's this gem from *Tribune*, 24 Sep 2001, p.9:

If you ever wonder if SLC has made any social progress, check out that last paragraph.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 7:03 AM
Exit 298

Sorry... going down a real rabbit hole here.

That megamall was off to a really ROCKY start...
Here they are begging for the state to pay to rebuild the 5600 W and I-80 interchange for their project:

Trib., 19 Jan 1999, p.E1

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 5:38 PM

The early 2000's were a challenge to SLC and downtown. On top of the Grand Mall there was also thoughts and a push to move Hogal Zoo to the west side, be it in SLC or WVC. Here is a link to an article regarding a move from 2002:

https://www.deseret.com/2002/10/17/1...to-woo-the-zoo

And another after a study in 2003:

https://www.ksl.com/article/91767/st...hould-not-move

These were some of the biggest ideas for the NW Quadrant of SLC. There was multiple City planned developments that never went anywhere though.

I do think that the only benefit that would have come to SLC had the Grand Mall been built would be the Airport Trax line extending to the International Center/Mall Site. It may have pushed the 5600 W Trax line to happen as part of the Front Lines projects as well.

The downside would been a massive sprawl fest in the NW Quadrant and less downtown development over the last 15 years.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 9:49 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Thanks..

The hotel is in Phase D? What else is phase D? Hotel, office tower and one more residential?

I guess I could scroll back through the pages. I just can't keep them straight. LOL
The plans we've seen have had three towers in Block D: hotel, residential, office. That said, we've seen very different designs over the years so nothing is likely set in stone, especially with the changing market.

Seems like the developers are very ambitious though, so that bodes well.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 3:07 AM
Space Magi

Nice shot from Antelope Island, found on Reddit:

Source

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 9:42 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Nice shot from Antelope Island, found on Reddit:

Source
Wooooooow. The most beautiful city backdrop on the continent. The scale is so wild. 7000 of vertical relief. That's why we live here folks. Thanks for sharing Atlas!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 1:23 PM

No other backdrop in the 50 major metros compares. The Wasatch is easily the prettiest mountain chain on top of a major metro. Astra is going to add a lot to the skyline in that photo. I hope the current weather pattern continues. A lot of moisture in the West is needed to catch up on the drought.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 4:27 PM

Any update on Main Street Apartments and the Soren? They were supposed to have submitted design reviews soon. Really hope to see these rise. Would also like to see the Sundial come up.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 4:48 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCHenry View Post
Any update on Main Street Apartments and the Soren? They were supposed to have submitted design reviews soon. Really hope to see these rise. Would also like to see the Sundial come up.
Haven't seen anything lately. Both have already gone through design review. With interest rates and vacancy rates up, I'm a little worried too.

Sundial seems DOA to me, but I could easily be wrong.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Haven't seen anything lately. Both have already gone through design review. With interest rates and vacancy rates up, I'm a little worried too.

Sundial seems DOA to me, but I could easily be wrong.
Yeah I was hopeful for the Sundial but it looks pretty dead. Hope 2023 brings us some new high rises and get the ones proposed up and going.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
What did Rocky Anderson accomplish during his first term as mayor besides complain about Bush and antagonize the state government? Did he do anything to actually help the city?

This isn't flippant, it's a genuine question. I'm not really sure what Rocky accomplished, but I was also too young at the time to really pay attention.

Mendenhall is pretty mediocre in a lot of ways, but I have my doubts that Rocky Anderson will do any better.
The only things Rocky literally accomplished were orange flags and back-in parking, neither of which we seem to have any more. Absolutely worst mayor in SLC history.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Rocky turned the focus on Main Street and kickstarted the revival...

Rocky also nixed a proposed mega-mall that was to be built out on the city's westside. I think this was likely his biggest accomplishment as the mall would have been a disaster for an already struggling Main Street.
It was TRAX (Corradini) and the redevelopment of the malls & 111 Main (LDS Church) and the Eccles Theatre (Becker) which revived Main Street, not anything Rocky did.

The mega-mall would've been at 5600 W. The only people shopping there would've been WVC and Magna residents who aren't regularly shopping on Main St. It would've had very little impact on downtown SLC.

The 400 S rezone was done by Ralph Becker. (http://www.slcdocs.com/council/agend...081412A3H4.pdf)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West